Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,335 times

Advertisements

Thursday August 20th. 6pm

For anyone interested in helping to make the shelter better for everyone involved.

Please join us as we protest inhumane conditions and restrictive adoption policies re, Brookhaven shelter at Brookhaven town hall, Thursday August 20, at 6 pm prompt- directions can be found at http://www.brookhaven.org/Directions...1/Default.aspx

The dogs at Brookhaven shelter need you! A recent visit to the shelter found no water bowls in the entire shelter (this is NOT an isolated incident of this issue) and no AC in the outdoor runs that have been converted to indoor runs (green house) - these are the same areas that the frozen water bowls and NO heat was discovered last year- this situation STILL has not been taken care of.
More than 20 dogs had "not for adoption" signs on them, a common occurence for this shelter, and the restrictive adoption policies of NO large breed dogs to families with children under the age of 18 has got to go! This is all in a shelter that has been at double the capacity since January!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,824 times
I've dealt with the Brookhaven shelter on a few occassions and found them to be caring and compassionate.
There are better ways to handle this than protesting. Sorry, hate to be a downer but you and your friends are probably doing more harm than good.
You have to understand that PEOPLE cause the problems. People who get dogs and cats than decide they can't (Or don't want to ) care for them, people who support puppy mill dogs rather than going to the local shelter in the first place to adopt needy animals and people who sue town run shelters for homing LARGE BREED DOGS TO FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN.
Want to protest?
Protest puppy mills.
Protest PETCO.
Protest you neighbor who HAD to have the full bred ****-a-doodle-doo rather than a loving dog from a shelter.
Protest those who won't adopt a dog who's only crime is that they reached an age past puppyhood and are no longer at maximum cuteness.
At the least, speak up at the next town board meeting!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,000 times
Hmmm...always thought Brookhaven did well with what they have.

My parents have a cat and a Dobie/mix both from Brookhaven. The cat is 17 years old now. The dog is upwards of 12 or 13.

I have a 5 year old cat and my wife almost adopted a 2 month old puppy from there.

Why don't you spend your time more constructively by volunteering and putting out water bowls or taking a collection to get more water bowls? Instead of wasting your time painting signs and protesting?

There are two types of people when it comes to animal rights. Those who truly care and try to make an effort to help animals in need and those who like seeing their name in the local paper. It's easy, just decide which type of animal rights person you are.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:26 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,007 times
There is plenty of room for both volunteers and those that protest and get press coverage to force change. I worked at BAS many years ago when it was just a killing machine and started a rescue network. I took alot a flak there for that. It was much easier for them to keep quiet and kill, kill, kill. and not very humanely.
I understood that the shelter had come a long way. What is being stated here is what I experienced and that is very disheartening.
What about that place in Aquebogue that sells puppy mill pups? How about picketing there on busy week-ends and handing out humane literature?
It's all about education. I am still in the animal business at some level and am amazed at how much ignorance there is in the general population. Maybe it's me- cuz I have always been in rescue and an animal rights supporter but are people living under rocks and in caves in this age of information?? How can you not know??????????????

Old 08-19-2009, 04:21 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,335 times
Wow i hate to say this but maybe you need to come there with me.....either you don't know what you are looking at or have no idea.

No heat in the winter, no fans or a/c under a greenhouse roof...

No water in the bowls.... unfriendly incompetant poeple and if i had the time to go thru the budget they waste on hand tools....but not heat for dogs freezing and the many issues of selective adoption...

Some people are just blind...sorry guy's/ladies, it's appalling that people can't see it in plain site

Old 08-19-2009, 05:07 PM

44 posts, read 60,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Wow i hate to say this but maybe you need to come there with me.....either you don't know what you are looking at or have no idea.

No water in the bowls.... unfriendly incompetant poeple and if i had the time to go thru the budget they waste on hand tools....but not heat for dogs freezing and the many issues of selective adoption...

Some people are just blind...sorry guy's/ladies, it's appalling that people can't see it in plain site

You don't sound biased or bitter at all. Go hug a tree, hippy.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
Doesn't suprise me, afterall, it's the Town of Crookhaven we're dealing with...

Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post

You have to start at the town board meetings. Have you ever attended a meeting?
I had 2 dogs and one cat spayed at the Brookhaven shelter and toured the place twice. I saw caring, compassionate people.
A quick story: We had a sheppard/akita mix show up at our house, a bit thin with an open cut on her ear. My then pregnant wife fell in love, I thought it was the hormones. So we called the shelter and they picked the dog up. My wife asked to be kept advised of the dog's status. A few days go by and we find out the dog has kennel cough. Now this may disturb you but under the right circumstances (Too many dogs at that particular time, not enough space for example) the dog would be euthanized to reduce the chances of this highly contagious disease spreading throughout the kennel. At teh request of my wife, they isolated the dog and treated the dog. After 2 months, we got a call that the dogs condition improved and my wife went down and adopted her. The fee for this was ZERO. Plus, an Akita/sheppard is a large breed dog and my wife was preggers AND we have a 3 yr old (At the time) son. They didn't "Refuse" to let us adopt her as you noted in your OP.
This was August of 2007 and Ruby is a great dog.
My experience with the Brookhaven shelter was nothing but positive.
If you have a problem you should ask questions of the town board, not go off half baked and have 6 people protesting outside (On an out of the way road that doesn't get much traffic at 6pm).
I could just ignore your post and blow it off but it seems like a shame to make employees that care about animals feel bad because there are misguided people outside holding up cardboard signs and chanting.
I respect your compassion but you are doing it all wrong. If you want more funding (tax money) thrown at the shelter you should go to a town board meeting (With all your friends) and speak your mind. In that circumstance I would support you 100%. If you showed up at my job and started protesting....let's just leave it at that.

Let's talk about some of the stuff you apparently missed at the shelter:
A pair of adult St. Bernards that are monthly visitors because their elderly owner lets them out and the neighbors are afraid of them. The dogs are unlicensed so teh shelter charges $20 to retrieve the dogs but the owner can never seem to come up with the cash.
Ask shelter employees how many unwanted dogs are left tied to the entrance every week.
Ask them about Pit Bulls. Do you have any idea hard it is to find a home for a Pit Bull?
Ask them how many dogs they have for a year or more. You will be very surprised.
It will cost many thousands of dollars to upgrade the shelter to meet the demands of our growing (And equally pet careless) population.
Talk to the town board. I assure you, right now NOBODY is interested in spending money to care for dogs their owners abandoned.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 AM

20 posts, read 17,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Protest you neighbor who HAD to have the full bred ****-a-doodle-doo rather than a loving dog from a shelter.
I bet you to come protest me for choosing what kind of animal I wanted to have in my home, care for, and assimilate into my family - it will be a funny scene.

I cannot believe the nerve of some people who think they have a right to force their behavior on others. Typical for LI I guess... and it's unfortunate.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarter_than_U View Post
I bet you to come protest me for choosing what kind of animal I wanted to have in my home, care for, and assimilate into my family - it will be a funny scene.

I cannot believe the nerve of some people who think they have a right to force their behavior on others. Typical for LI I guess... and it's unfortunate.

Nobody is forcing their will on anyone tough guy. The bottom line is you had a choice between adopting a dog and giving it a good home or shelling out a grand and giving it to a breeder. One is a better option than the other.
Your full bred certified ****-a-whatever sniffs it's own butt just like any other dog. Internet tough guy-typical LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island