Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,750 times

Advertisements

Right, I have seen it.. its in the same complex as Panera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
Actually it's right next to Toys R Us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM

306 posts, read 636,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Right, I have seen it.. its in the same complex as Panera.

If you haven't been there yet, give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:59 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
Best thing about Carle Place is a restaurant named Vincent's, hands down.
I disagree. The best thing about Carle Place is "Luv My Shoes"...although I go to the one in Oceanside.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:43 PM

175 posts, read 657,585 times
My first two houses were in Greenlawn. It's a great town, one of the true "under the radar" towns on Long Island. Harborfields and Elwood are both great school districts. Great town spirit, tons of activities. If you are going to be in the area go to the Fireman's Fair during Labor Day weekend.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 AM

264 posts, read 878,400 times
Getting to work from Huntington has proven to not be so bad. Right now, we're seriously considering Greenlawn. There are some nice houses near Greenlawn Park which are selling for under $500K.
The top four areas we're considering now are Greenlawn, Carle Place, Syosset, and Mineola (East Williston district).

From solely a house perspective, Greenlawn/Centerport seems to be the best bet at the moment. The only downside would be the relatively long commute to work- but at least it's just a long train ride for the most part.

Syosset houses are so-so- the nice ones are way above our budget.. and is the school district worth it?

There aren't really many Carle Place houses on the market- since it's such a small area and we found a Greenlawn house or two which are really to our liking.

We found an affordable house in Mineola which is zoned to East Williston school district. I've heard great things about Harborfields and Elwood though and Wheatley can't be that much better..

My fiance somewhat prefers North Shore over South Shore- so we've been really focusing our search there.

Last edited by CoolaTroopa; 09-01-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
My first two houses were in Greenlawn. It's a great town, one of the true "under the radar" towns on Long Island. Harborfields and Elwood are both great school districts.

PizzaPedro, first, Greenlawn is a hamlet in the Town of Huntington, and there are places that have a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Greenlawn and are actually in the Hamlet of Huntington and the Hamlet of Elwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Greenlawn with a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.

Second, Elwood, too, is a hamlet in the Town of Huntington, and places in the Hamlet of Elwood have a "Huntington, NY 11743", "Greenlawn, NY 11740" "East Northport, NY 11731", "Commack, NY 11725" and "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address. There is no "Elwood, NY ?????" ZIP Code postal zone and hence no "Elwood, NY ?????" mailing address.

Third, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, fourth, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 10,155 times
If you can afford Greenlawn, there's no reason not to live there. Both Harborfields and Elwood schools are superb (though I'd admit Jericho's and Great Neck's are probably marginally better). Levittown's not in the same category at all - The South Shore of Long Island is flatter, less attractive, more densely built and and traditionally much more working class than the North Shore. You live on the South Shore if you can't afford the North Shore. If you have to be on the South Shore, then I'm guessing the schools you want are probably in the five towns or Oceanside.

As for Northern New Jersey, it is easier to get in and out of than the Island. It's also just not as nice, unless you get far enough out to be in the hills or right by the Shore.

As for New Jer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island