Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where I can pick up firewood around the Rocky Point area?

I already asked the all-knowing Crooks but he was stumped.

I'm looking for a quarter to half cord of decent aged wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,517,443 times
I see a bunch of guys offering it on Craigslist (Long Island version) all the time. There are a few I have seen in Ridge. I don;t know anything about the quality...but it might be worth a shot.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:58 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times
craiglist has tons and tons of listings !!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,727 times
What ever wood you get, make sure it is aged well - meaning the wood sounds like a bat when hit against something like concrete. The inside of the wood will be white and there will be cracks or splitting on the bark. Best firewood usually found is white oak, northern red oak and maple - burns long and hot!

There's a place in Dix Hills - forgot the name, something Farms. Not sure if they deliver.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,812 times
try Lifirewood.com, I have had it with people selling wet wood at bargain prices. Some of the wood was so wet that it formed puddles in my fireplace! This supplier has kiln dried, de-barked wood. I swear you could light it with a match! It comes delivered (I stack mine myself) in half-cord quantities. Good volume for the half cord. Its a little pricey, but when you figure that there is no bark, I didn't mind the price at all! For twenty years, I had a wood burning stove that heated the whole house for the season. I used to go through 5 cords per season, most of which I cut, split and stacked myself. Now I just have a fireplace, but this is the best wood I have ever ordered.

PS- the best firewood is ash (largest BTU per weight).

Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times
FastRudy...saw their website and thought it might be a good place. I was looking to just pick up some wood with my truck but I might have them deliver it. I too got stuck last year with wet wood..delivered by the old trusted landscaper

Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
try Lifirewood.com, I have had it with people selling wet wood at bargain prices. Some of the wood was so wet that it formed puddles in my fireplace! This supplier has kiln dried, de-barked wood. I swear you could light it with a match! It comes delivered (I stack mine myself) in half-cord quantities. Good volume for the half cord. Its a little pricey, but when you figure that there is no bark, I didn't mind the price at all! For twenty years, I had a wood burning stove that heated the whole house for the season. I used to go through 5 cords per season, most of which I cut, split and stacked myself. Now I just have a fireplace, but this is the best wood I have ever ordered.

I stand corrected.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
BB&GG Farms on 25A in St James.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post

I was planning to order from them (lifirewood).
I have 2nd thoughts now....
I saw a place selling "seasoned" wood on the way to home from work. Do you think they are reliable ? They have mentioned in big letters "NO GREEN"

Any suggestions ?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:38 AM

127 posts, read 748,000 times
There are a lot of good firewood sellers, but at this time of the year, TRUST NO ONE! LI firewood has a good rep, but is priced 50% higher than anyone else, so you pay for it. If you are willing to inspect the wood before it is dumped and say NO if you are not happy with it, go with a smaller opperation and save a bundle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island