Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynSummer View Post
I heard some bad things about Kings Park don't know if it's true. Think you could offer me a hand full to choose from?

Not at all...Kings Park is a nice affordable North Shore town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:51 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Long time lurker, but this thread hit a nerve.

I have lived in Suffolk for 25 years now, Bayside Queens before that. Growing up through high school I had about a dozen close friends who I still keep in touch with. I am one of two that still live on the island, the other one is hopeless and living with mom and dad at 30. Every single one of the people who left will never be returning. They all say the same thing: why struggle for no reason when I get so much more for less elsewhere? My brother left, bought a new 2400sqft home in Tx with all top end appliances for less then a hovel forclosure would cost on LI. My sister left and says that San Antonio offered her more then all of LI plus some.

My wife and I sit around and even after pulling in a good amount of money (150K) we still aren't getting where we want to be. Taxes double or triple a mortgage, schools are not very good (catholic school brat myself and I'm sorry, but public schools aren't great comparitivly), and the location isn't a fit for most people. The only real "local" part of the island we use is the east end wineries. Same for most of the people I know. We'll probably end up being added to the list of young professionals who will leave never to return within a few years unless things change drastically.

Realistically what does LI offer? Queens is the city, Nassau is now queens, and everything east of Nichols road is Nassau 15 years prior. Traffic means that it takes 10 minutes for travel just to go 3 miles, the LIE is woefully congested at any time between 6a and 9p. Younger kids have little to nothing int he way of neighborhood entertainment to keep them occupied, young professionals are finding the same (once you outgrow the bar/club scene). Any attempt at forward progression is met with numerous complaints of traffic increases but there have been no such problems with the tens of thousands of homes that were built in the last decade. Beaches, are they really worth the taxes you pay, plus parking costs at some? NYC, what percent of people do you know that go more then 1-2 times per year tops?

LI is going to face a rather large crisis in another decade as the reprocussions of losing the 18-30 crowd and their subsequent children hit home with the public services. Sachem builds a huge 3rd high school that sits half filled and they want to be rid of already because they couldn't look at demographics, expect the problem to worsen.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:32 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

I have lived in Suffolk for 25 years now, Bayside Queens before that. Growing up through high school I had about a dozen close friends who I still keep in touch with. I am one of two that still live on the island, the other one is hopeless and living with mom and dad at 30. Every single one of the people who left will never be returning. They all say the same thing: why struggle for no reason when I get so much more for less elsewhere? My brother left, bought a new 2400sqft home in Tx with all top end appliances for less then a hovel forclosure would cost on LI. My sister left and says that San Antonio offered her more then all of LI plus some.

My wife and I sit around and even after pulling in a good amount of money (150K) we still aren't getting where we want to be. Taxes double or triple a mortgage, schools are not very good (catholic school brat myself and I'm sorry, but public schools aren't great comparitivly), and the location isn't a fit for most people. The only real "local" part of the island we use is the east end wineries. Same for most of the people I know. We'll probably end up being added to the list of young professionals who will leave never to return within a few years unless things change drastically.

Realistically what does LI offer? Queens is the city, Nassau is now queens, and everything east of Nichols road is Nassau 15 years prior. Traffic means that it takes 10 minutes for travel just to go 3 miles, the LIE is woefully congested at any time between 6a and 9p. Younger kids have little to nothing int he way of neighborhood entertainment to keep them occupied, young professionals are finding the same (once you outgrow the bar/club scene). Any attempt at forward progression is met with numerous complaints of traffic increases but there have been no such problems with the tens of thousands of homes that were built in the last decade. Beaches, are they really worth the taxes you pay, plus parking costs at some? NYC, what percent of people do you know that go more then 1-2 times per year tops?

LI is going to face a rather large crisis in another decade as the reprocussions of losing the 18-30 crowd and their subsequent children hit home with the public services. Sachem builds a huge 3rd high school that sits half filled and they want to be rid of already because they couldn't look at demographics, expect the problem to worsen.
Great post.
We definitely agree on the eastward expansion of Queens.
I think we have 10 -15 years and were out near the Wm Floyd.

I do love living near the water and Im at 2 plays/concerts/shows a month in NYC.I guess you gotta get out and make fun happen.It is hard with everybody working but not impossible.If youre just gonna sit in a hi ranch and stare at the traffic and the tax bill, youre definitely gonna hate it here.

Its very easy to lose sight of LIs value but it really has no truly equal comparison abroad.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 04-30-2010, 06:22 AM

128 posts, read 340,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

Unless NYC falls into the ocean LI will not go the way you describe, ever .All this talk of 30 somethings moving away is exactly that, talk.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Hate to say it but I think he's right. Take it from a young professional that lives here on LI. I hear all the time is how "I will never afford to live comfortably here, Im heading to so and so". There are alot of young people going away for college and they do not come back.

And LI officials are sure not helping any business' attract new young recruits. Thats why alot of companies are leaving too. It will be interesting to see what lies ahead in the next 10-15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
Unless NYC falls into the ocean LI will not go the way you describe, ever .All this talk of 30 somethings moving away is exactly that, talk.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:35 AM

128 posts, read 340,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Hate to say it but I think he's right. Take it from a young professional that lives here on LI. I hear all the time how "I will never afford to live comfortably here, Im heading to so and so". There are alot of young people going away for college and they do not come back.

And LI officials are sure not helping any business' attract new young recruits. Thats why alot of companies are leaving too. It will be interesting to see what lies ahead in the next 10-15 years.
For the most part, college graduates done move to Long Island hoping to find a job on Long Island. Its all about NYC. Atleast with myself and my friends I only know of one individual that moved away from Long Island. Dont get me wrong, its difficult to live here, but I still feel the good out weighs the bad. But then again Im jaded. I dont think I would ever move away from my family. A gigantic house in another state isnt a big deal to me if my family isnt near by.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
As a twentysomething Realtor, I sold over 20 houses last year to individuals and couples who were under 32. It is a great time to buy and the first time homebuyers tax credit helped tremendously. Of the 33 homes I sold in 2009, nearly 30 of the people selling were seniors looking to retire out of state. To be honest, I think most of the people leaving Long Island are retirees. And with taxes going up and up, I don't blame them.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
For the most part, college graduates done move to Long Island hoping to find a job on Long Island. Its all about NYC. Atleast with myself and my friends I only know of one individual that moved away from Long Island. Dont get me wrong, its difficult to live here, but I still feel the good out weighs the bad. But then again Im jaded. I dont think I would ever move away from my family. A gigantic house in another state isnt a big deal to me if my family isnt near by.
NYC is great for certain industries, but not all. The majority of our friends have left the Island and all found jobs in our line of work with no problem. Good salaries too. As far as family goes, ours all left as soon as we left. Turns out they were staying only because they thought we were staying.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 PM

17 posts, read 25,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I actually think Queens and Brooklyn have improved at the Islands expense.

Is all realive.

If youre serving a life sentence since the 60-70s ...you're more in touch with the change.

Crooks
Crook what do you mean by that?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM

17 posts, read 25,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yothisisit View Post
I moved two years ago but my parents are still on LI so I do visit from time to time. You would be amazed at how other counties care about their communities . There is a lot more littering than I remember from 2 years ago or maybe it is opposed to where I live now. The biggest difference I see is that when there is too much garbage , people complain and organize to have it stopped . If something is wrong, people rally together and write to their local paper .Since LI is getting so populated , more and more little things get overlooked. My town is meticulous when it comes to pride in the town. I know that some villages have more local people who get involved in the towns on LI than the more populated towns. Anyways, just my opinion, Im sure it depends on the town .
What town do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island