Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

In //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...questions.html, it came up that what had been the "Brentwood, NY 11717" ZIP Code postal zone now appears to be the "Edgewood, NY 11717" ZIP Code postal zone.

Can anyone shed some light on when this change in the name of the ZIP Code postal zone from "Brentwood" to "Edgewood" may have taken place?

Even though the ZIP Code postal zone may have had a name change, the Hamlet of Brentwood is still the Hamlet of Brentwood, and there is no Hamlet of Edgewood.

If there is going to be a change from the Hamlet of Brentwood to the Hamlet of Edgewood, my guess is that would not occur until the 2010 Census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Walter....your the "geography nut"... And your asking us? lol.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
When I looked at it on google maps it showed Edgewood as being upstate, with a zip 12450

Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
I think Edgewood LI is not an actual "city, town hamlet, etc." but the name for a mostly light industrial/business section within for zip code purposes but actually west of Brentwood proper, immediately east of the "Pine Aire" section, east of Deer Park and north of "Bay Wood" on google maps (which itself is north of Bay Shore). It seems that google maps sometimes puts a circle on the map with a neighborhood name that actually resides within something else.

If NOT, and Brentwood is actually changing its name, then I think that is a way to try and escape the dubious reputation that much of Brentwood has and attract new buyers who don't know/won't recognize what is going on.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 PM

26 posts, read 46,205 times
i dont think its possible for a town to change their name...when was the last name change on long island?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Walter....your the "geography nut"... And your asking us? lol.

That's the geography maven, please; and, even a maven needs help from time-to-time!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercottman View Post
i dont think its possible for a town to change their name...when was the last name change on long island?

In the absence of a new village incorporating and taking a new name, different from the hamlet or hamlets from which it had been part of, hamlet name changes are usually concomitant with the Census.

Concomitant with the 2000 Census, the Hamlets of Tuckahoe and Northampton in the Town of Southampton, Suffolk County were created.

The Hamlet of "North" Southampton (what had been Southampton unincorporated) was renamed Tuckahoe, and, in addition, land from the Hamlet of Shinnecock Hills was transferred to the newly named Hamlet of Tuckahoe.

The Hamlet of Northampton was created from the west and northwest part of the Hamlet of Riverside. Actually, Riverside parted with so much area to create Northampton that Riverside is now smaller than the newly created Northampton.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Walter, I think you may have stumbled across some little-documented minutae related to the USPS addressing system. Awhile back, I noticed some real estate sites list "alternatives" for USPS mailing cities attached to ZIP codes. Sometimes, these are listed as "acceptable alternatives" and "non-acceptable alternatives". If I had to guess, these are antiquated mailing addresses....tied to now-forgotten place names and real estate developments - but at one time officially used by the post office.

If I put my home address (in the Wantagh, NY 11793 ZIP code) into the Census Bureau's FactFinder using "North Wantagh, NY" or "Briar Park, NY" (both commonly listed as alternatives) with no zip code at all - it will still come up with the proper data that would appear had I used "Wantagh, NY". If I try some other place (Bellmore, or WNATAHG, etc.) it doesn't work. It also appears to only work with place names ushered in since the dawn of ZIP codes. For instance, I tried "Jerusalem, NY" - a name I know my area was known by and had a post office named as such until the 1920s - but it didn't work.

FYI - There was an Edgewood Psychiatric Center nearly identical to the one in Kings Park located on a now vacant tract of land in eastern Deer Park from the 1930s until the late 80s. I'm not sure if the hospital itself spawned the name "Edgewood" or if it was named for the surrounding community....but in any case, it's very possible that postage to the hospital was addressed as "Edgewood, NY" or even that it had it's own post office that was a sub-station of Brentwood's.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
If I put my home address (in the Wantagh, NY 11793 ZIP code) into the Census Bureau's FactFinder using "North Wantagh, NY" or "Briar Park, NY" (both commonly listed as alternatives) with no zip code at all - it will still come up with the proper data that would appear had I used "Wantagh, NY".

sean sean sean sean, if I plug in "51 Mercedes Way" for Street Address in either "Edgewood" or "Brentwood" for City and "New York" for State, or leave out both the "City" and "State" and just use the ZIP Code 11717, in the Census Bureau's online address search function, all 3 times it comes back as, "51 Mercedes Way , Edgewood , New York, 11717" in the "Brentwood" CDP.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 PM

438 posts, read 831,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
In the absence of a new village incorporating and taking a new name, different from the hamlet or hamlets from which it had been part of, hamlet name changes are usually concomitant with the Census.

Concomitant with the 2000 Census, the Hamlets of Tuckahoe and Northampton in the Town of Southampton, Suffolk County were created.

The Hamlet of "North" Southampton (what had been Southampton unincorporated) was renamed Tuckahoe, and, in addition, land from the Hamlet of Shinnecock Hills was transferred to the newly named Hamlet of Tuckahoe.

The Hamlet of Northampton was created from the west and northwest part of the Hamlet of Riverside. Actually, Riverside parted with so much area to create Northampton that Riverside is now smaller than the newly created Northampton.
Tuckahoe was around much earlier than 2000. As far back as the 1970s, there was a "Tuckahoe" sign on Rte. 27 that indicated you had entered the hamlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island