Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:50 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times

Advertisements

John, to most of these people the definition of "ghetto" is having a CHECK ENGINE light on in their <5 year old european automobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 AM

25 posts, read 76,367 times
that is not true my friend lives in uniondale its okay she lives on a quiet block never had a problem so it really depends where in uniondale these days every where has its good parts and bad parts, but if you have children I would consider some place else

Old 10-18-2007, 05:22 PM

8 posts, read 48,623 times
yeah its not so bad whenever most people from long island see somebody black they automatically assume they're in the ghetto

Old 11-26-2007, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 32,060 times
Having lived in a multitude of towns that span New York and New Jersey, I find that Uniondale (or the part of Uniondale that I live) provides a good living environment and quality of life. This is coming from someone that moved to Uniondale from Douglaston Queens. Of course as with any town, there are drawbacks. My pet peeve about Uniondale centers on the illegal housing that the Town of Hemppstead refuses to enforce. I am talking about the illegal basement apartments that are the casue of many problems in almost every town on Long Island. This issue brings on the overcrowding of parked cars on the street and the overcrowding of schools. If these home owners that intentionally break the law regarding illegal basement apartments just remember have some consideration for their neighbors space and quality of life, it would make the situation bearable. I have spoken to my neighbors that break this law and have appeased me. On the whole, my neighborhood is quiet and diverse (yes, there are still white people living in Uniondale), the Community Council is being heard by the Town of Hempstead, plus the School Board, School Administrators and Teachers are doing a good job creating a positive learning environment for the Students. If the Lighthouse Project comes to fruition then it can only mean better things are to come for Uniondale.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Uniondale

For those who may not be familiar with Uniondale:

Uniondale is a hamlet (unincorporated area) in the north-center section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Uniondale in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of East Garden City; on the east by the Hamlet of East Meadow and the Hamlet of North Merrick; on the south by the Hamlet of Roosevelt and the Hamlet of Baldwin; and, on the west by the Village of Hempstead.

The Hamlet of Uniondale has a different border than does the "Uniondale, NY 11553" postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Uniondale): places that have a "Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Uniondale are mostly in the Hamlet of East Garden City.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 11-26-2007, 05:27 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Ahhhh, I hope your not a Ranger fan because Uniondale is home of the Islanders!
The home of the Islanders is the Nassau Veterans Coliseum, and while the Coliseum may have a "Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address, it is not in the Hamlet of Uniondale, which has a different border than the "Uniondale, NY 11553".

The Nassau Veterans Coliseum is in that part of the Hamlet of East Garden City that has a "Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:32 AM

4 posts, read 31,939 times
for all you low-lives that think since a neighborhood is mainly african american, that means there is a gang and drug problem, you suck!!! take a walk through east new york or harlem then check out uniondale, it's like the country in comparison. average home in uniondale is 350 thats higher than the national average. the gangs, drugs and crime is the same as east meadow, massapequa and most of nassau and suffolk.
Moderator cut: language

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-12-2009 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 31,939 times
when you consider hofstra the exploding latino population and the people that have been here since the 40's and fifties uniondale is way more diverse compared to most other neighborhoods on long island. it is absolutely safe. very close to all parkways and the railroad stops in hempstead, about 5 min away. the area of the lirr isn't the best but it's all new and always busy also hempstead police are right around the corner. you're also close to mineola statio and hicksville.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:39 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,763 times
I went to Kellenberg and Hofstra and loved them both---for the schools, not for the areas themselves. I really don't think all of Hempstead or Uniondale is bad, but the bad parts are not places where I would want to live.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 PM

149 posts, read 525,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmic73 View Post
when you consider hofstra the exploding latino population and the people that have been here since the 40's and fifties uniondale is way more diverse compared to most other neighborhoods on long island. it is absolutely safe. very close to all parkways and the railroad stops in hempstead, about 5 min away. the area of the lirr isn't the best but it's all new and always busy also hempstead police are right around the corner. you're also close to mineola statio and hicksville.
Don't waste your breath. Certain threads bring out the absolute worst in some posters concerning area and how great a village is depends on the minority to non minority ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island