Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times

Advertisements

OK I am not liking the way I'm feeling these days. Not just mad, but enraged. They expect people who ride the bus, including me, to shell out $3.50 for a ride, with no more unlimited ride Metrocard. That's over an $100 increase in fares when you figure it all out!
I dont blame the MTA or even the state so much as Nassau County. They seem completely ignorant of bus riders. I made a ton of calls today and none of them were very encouraging. Tom Suozzi's office didn't seem too concerned. The guy at Dianne Yaturo's office seemed clueless, saying it wasn't the county's responsibility, until I explained how Nassau is supposed to subsidize the MTA. I then explained how many people will be forced to leave Nassau. Many of those ppl who work in stores, depend on LI Bus. They will be forced to leave. Maybe then it'll sink in? But then it will be too late. The guy was dumbfounded when I explained this all to him.
I doubt I'll hear back from anyone, I called before and they never got back to me.
Tom Suozzi is a real ignorant person, no wonder he needs his NCPD detective chauffered car, many people want to put him in the ground and I dont blame them. This pretty boy loves his rich friends on the north shore, meanwhile he's driving the middle class out, a friend of mine was explaining how Nassau has very little middle class, it's mostly alot of poor neighborhoods and a rich few.
I really do hate our government here. They seem to have no knowledge or compassion whatsoever. The funny thing is whenever I've had a problem with Suffolk Transit, they always get back to me. Nassau never does. Suffolk is even planning new routes and Sunday service. They already have schedules posted at most bus stops. Nassau doesn't have schedules at bus stops.
I think I need to move out if this goes through. I cant stand seeing the disparity of wealth here, having these fare hikes and Tom Suozzi crying at Albany so his rich friends wont get a tax hike, I need to leave because I'm starting to have feelings I dont like, not pleasant feelings.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 PM

Default Typical Tom

LI Bus needs major restructuring, advocates say -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/transportation/ny-libus2712590452mar27,0,6706641.story - broken link)

"Transportation is not something that should be funded with property tax dollars. It makes absolutely no sense," said County Executive Thomas Suozzi, who has urged the MTA to take full ownership of the bus system. "The reality is that the county is not a transportation expert. The MTA is an expert, and the MTA should be running the whole thing as it is now."

But it's OK to spend those dollars on county cars and loads of other perks isn't it?
Westchester funds their bus system. NYC funds theirs. Suffolk too. But for some reason, even though Nassau has much more wealth than Suffolk in it's population, it cant fund a bus system. Sad. The people who live in Nassau must be the most self centered ignorant people for re-electing this fool, over and over again.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
I can't blame Suozzi for not wanting to dump more taxpayer money into a broken system. I don't know if it mentions it in this article, but only a few weeks ago he was touting this regional bus plan elaborated on in this article. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like a proposal to merge all bus lines in and out of NYC and it's suburbs - similar to what was done with all the NYC subway lines, which used to be run by semi-privately owned companies. The obvious benefit here, as the article mentions, would be that this would allow the newly formed bus operation to purchase parts or services in bulk to save costs....and considering that buses tend to be very prone to wear and tear I can see it saving a ton of money, as well as enchancing service between counties/boroughs instead of having only a few "crossover" lines.

Unfortunately, the article states that (big surprise) the unions for each separate bus company would be expected to fight this tooth and nail....and for that reason it seems to have little political support outside of Suozzi....so kudos to him for sticking his neck out in this case. From where I'm sitting, this is a much better solution than decreasing service and increasing rates which is what we have now.

I don't think Suozzi is anywhere near perfect, but on these types of issues I do think he has been fairly forward thinking, even embracing ideals of "new urbanism" to some extent. He's got a lot of eggs in this Lighthouse project basket - a big portion of which is tied to enchancing public transportation in and out of Hempstead/East Garden City....and honestly I don't think this has been a very popular idea. Long Island still has a decidedly NIMBY culture that crosses party lines, I think some would even say that adamantly supporting these things in Nassau could be career suicide.

As for you, it's definitely time to leave. Get your social worker or whoever writes your government checks on the phone and tell them you need to skeedaddle, PRONTO!! I'm sure it can be arranged! I hope you find the public transportation and Hispanic population in Suffolk County to be much more agreeable.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:36 AM

Suozzi just wants to absolve Nassau county of any responsibility to the bus system. As well as LIRR maintanance costs as well. What's next, merging NCPD into NYPD? He also supports school district consolidation. How come Westchester doesn't have these problems? They have no problem finding enough money to run their Bee Line bus system, which is superior to LI Bus in almost every way.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,881 times
You sound exactly like we did when we left LI 5 years ago We miss the food & family but nothing else. Leaving LI isn't the worst thing that can happen to you, trust me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
OK I am not liking the way I'm feeling these days. Not just mad, but enraged. They expect people who ride the bus, including me, to shell out $3.50 for a ride, with no more unlimited ride Metrocard. That's over an $100 increase in fares when you figure it all out!
I dont blame the MTA or even the state so much as Nassau County. They seem completely ignorant of bus riders. I made a ton of calls today and none of them were very encouraging. Tom Suozzi's office didn't seem too concerned. The guy at Dianne Yaturo's office seemed clueless, saying it wasn't the county's responsibility, until I explained how Nassau is supposed to subsidize the MTA. I then explained how many people will be forced to leave Nassau. Many of those ppl who work in stores, depend on LI Bus. They will be forced to leave. Maybe then it'll sink in? But then it will be too late. The guy was dumbfounded when I explained this all to him.
I doubt I'll hear back from anyone, I called before and they never got back to me.
Tom Suozzi is a real ignorant person, no wonder he needs his NCPD detective chauffered car, many people want to put him in the ground and I dont blame them. This pretty boy loves his rich friends on the north shore, meanwhile he's driving the middle class out, a friend of mine was explaining how Nassau has very little middle class, it's mostly alot of poor neighborhoods and a rich few.
I really do hate our government here. They seem to have no knowledge or compassion whatsoever. The funny thing is whenever I've had a problem with Suffolk Transit, they always get back to me. Nassau never does. Suffolk is even planning new routes and Sunday service. They already have schedules posted at most bus stops. Nassau doesn't have schedules at bus stops.
I think I need to move out if this goes through. I cant stand seeing the disparity of wealth here, having these fare hikes and Tom Suozzi crying at Albany so his rich friends wont get a tax hike, I need to leave because I'm starting to have feelings I dont like, not pleasant feelings.....

Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,729 times
I'm confused as to why everyone thinks the county should fund the public transit system. I think ridership should pay for it.

Shouldn't the LIRR riders pay for their trip into the city?
shouldn't the LI bus riders support the cost of their ride?

What do county cars have to do with it? Lame arguement.

Why are taxes high? because we fund things like public transit and other services that people around here consider manditory.

Does NC have a publicly funded bus service in the suburbs?

as of now nassau county is a car culture, right wrong or indifferent. if you want to function without owning a car, do so at your own perial. you don't live in manhatten or queens for that matter, don't expect a similar level of service.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I'm confused as to why everyone thinks the county should fund the public transit system. I think ridership should pay for it.

Shouldn't the LIRR riders pay for their trip into the city?
shouldn't the LI bus riders support the cost of their ride?

What do county cars have to do with it? Lame arguement.

Why are taxes high? because we fund things like public transit and other services that people around here consider manditory.

Does NC have a publicly funded bus service in the suburbs?

as of now nassau county is a car culture, right wrong or indifferent. if you want to function without owning a car, do so at your own perial. you don't live in manhatten or queens for that matter, don't expect a similar level of service.
Public transportation is not completely self-supporting in all areas that have it, so why should Nassau be any different? Regarding our selfish car culture (one driver in one vehicle for the most part), it is destructive to the roads, the environment, and traffic patterns and more public transportation use would be an improvement for all of us, drivers and non-drivers alike. Read this story from the NY Times to understand more about the problem. It is 2 years old, but, unfortunately, still relevant.

As Ridership Rises, Long Island Bus System Faces $4 Million Deficit - New York Times

Old 03-27-2009, 11:20 AM

153 posts, read 380,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

As for you, it's definitely time to leave. Get your social worker or whoever writes your government checks on the phone and tell them you need to skeedaddle, PRONTO!! I'm sure it can be arranged! I hope you find the public transportation and Hispanic population in Suffolk County to be much more agreeable.
Make sure the town has FIOS as well, I wouldn't want you to suffer as you are now //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ustrating.html

Perhaps the county would have more money to spend on mass transit if it did not have to pay your cable bill.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Suozzi just wants to absolve Nassau county of any responsibility to the bus system. As well as LIRR maintanance costs as well. What's next, merging NCPD into NYPD? He also supports school district consolidation. How come Westchester doesn't have these problems? They have no problem finding enough money to run their Bee Line bus system, which is superior to LI Bus in almost every way.
Yes, and the property taxes are higher in Westchester as well. Its a trade off.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,207 times
Thumbs up Dump suozzi

Tom Suozzi is a total nightmare for Nassau.
DUMP SUOZZI

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island