Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are our "Wonder Years" behind us as NYC pushes Eastward?
Were screwed. 29 46.77%
Not sure 8 12.90%
Not at all. 25 40.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:38 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I grew up in Queens until I was 21. I moved out to Suffolk because it was cheap. I dont think I "ruined" the neighborhood. In fact, of the 3 homes I have owned out here, I improved each one. They were run down dumps. I redid each one, and made it an "asset" to the neighborhood. Yes, I agree there are some "ify" people from the city, but there is plenty of white trash out here already.

No doubt, but thats not whats being said here.

What Im getting at is if youre moving to LI to escape the city like our parents did...how far did you really get?

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 01:37 PM

18 posts, read 19,070 times
I can tell you I moved from the city to Long Island not because I could not afford it but because I wanted a better quality of life and better schools for my children. In my opinion, the influx of minorities into Nassau County was due in part to the mortgage fiasco. Now that the bubble has burst you won't be seeing a lower quality of people coming in as much and neighborhoods will start to stabilize. It's so much harder now to qualify for a mortgage and most people just can't afford the home prices and the taxes out here.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeAndChangeBO View Post
I can tell you I moved from the city to Long Island not because I could not afford it but because I wanted a better quality of life and better schools for my children. In my opinion, the influx of minorities into Nassau County was due in part to the mortgage fiasco. Now that the bubble has burst you won't be seeing a lower quality of people coming in as much and neighborhoods will start to stabilize. It's so much harder now to qualify for a mortgage and most people just can't afford the home prices and the taxes out here.

Im not so sure the minorites are the problem.
I kinda welcome the diversity, its about time.

It used to be that anyone with two nickels to rub together would bring their family out of the city.Now its the exact opposite.

I think Nassau's economic barrier has fallen and sadly Suffolks may be next.
Once poverty takes hold in a community, its very difficult to eradicate and mortgages or not, once its in..its in.

Crooks

Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im not so sure the minorites are the problem.
I kinda welcome the diversity, its about time.

It used to be that anyone with two nickels to rub together would bring their family out of the city.Now its the exact opposite.

I think Nassau's economic barrier has fallen and sadly Suffolks may be next.
Once poverty takes hold in a community, its very difficult to eradicate and mortgages or not, once its in..its in.

Crooks
I'm not looking to point the finger at all minorities. Just the ones that were only able to obtain mortgages through the lax requirements. Those are the ones who can't afford the mortgages and are either going into foreclosure or bringing in multiple family members and even strangers to rent rooms in their homes. Things have changed now and I think things will start getting better.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not looking to point the finger at all minorities. Just the ones that were only able to obtain mortgages through the lax requirements. Those are the ones who can't afford the mortgages and are either going into foreclosure or bringing in multiple family members and even strangers to rent rooms in their homes. Things have changed now and I think things will start getting better.
Id like to think so but once an economic barrier collapses and povety takes hold its very difficult to eradicate. Its happening all over LI.

Crooks

Old 10-18-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Id like to think so but once an economic barrier collapses and povety takes hold its very difficult to eradicate. Its happening all over LI.

Crooks

I agree with you on that point. For some towns though it's not too late. You had transitions occuring in Valley Stream, West Hempstead, and Baldwin but because of the mortgage crisis this has slowed to a crawl. Poverty hasn't taken hold in those areas and I don't see it happening at all now.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on that point. For some towns though it's not too late. You had transitions occuring in Valley Stream, West Hempstead, and Baldwin but because of the mortgage crisis this has slowed to a crawl. Poverty hasn't taken hold in those areas and I don't see it happening at all now.
I think most Long Islanders would agree that that area has seen some pretty significant change over the last decade or so.

Then again Baldwin was rated one of the top towns in America to raise a family.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL3604143.html
I dont get it ...but I wouldnt dispute it either.

FWIW I voted Not Sure on this poll.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-18-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I think most Long Islanders would agree that that area has seen some pretty significant change over the last decade or so.

Then again Baldwin was rated one of the top towns in America to raise a family.
Best places to live 2008 - City details: Baldwin, NY - from MONEY Magazine
I dont get it ...but I wouldnt dispute it either.

FWIW I voted Not Sure on this poll.

Crooks
Baldwin gets a bad rap on this board but I would agree that it's still a good place to live in if your looking for good schools, moderate home prices, low crime, and diversity.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Baldwin gets a bad rap on this board but I would agree that it's still a good place to live in if your looking for good schools, moderate home prices, low crime, and diversity.

Honestly...thats what I've heard too.

People hear diversity and freak out.Seems like a decent place to live.

Freeport still seems kind of rough.

Crooks

Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Personally I think Freeport is at a point of no return. Crime, gangs, poor schools, and poverty is rampant there.

Last edited by HopeAndChangeBO; 10-18-2009 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island