Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are our "Wonder Years" behind us as NYC pushes Eastward?
Were screwed. 29 46.77%
Not sure 8 12.90%
Not at all. 25 40.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

I think people really s--- the bed in the 1960s when all the large American cities started to crumble. Trains, buses, blacks, Hispanics, apartments, etc. all became immediately synonymous with crime, poverty and the erosion of society. The reaction to this phenomenon on Long Island was to price out the riff-raff and flat out legislate against any type of development that doesn't cater to the spitting image of the Eisenhower era, Leave-it-to-Beaver family. In some ways, it actually worked....the middle class "suburban" areas of Queens and Brooklyn didn't fare nearly as well through that 60s-70s period of urban exodus, while out here on LI things got expensive but never ugly....

However here we are in a new century, and that old approach to suburban anti-development has proven it's day has come and gone. In this millenium, that line of thinking is fatally flawed....because we've now gotten to a point where that invisible financial barrier can no longer hold back non-whites, who are - let's face it - an enormous symbol of poverty, crime, etc. to the generation of middle class (and up) Long Islanders who lived through white flight. IMO, (and I'm not pointing fingers) this is where the majority of those "LI has changed" claims come from....because development wise or QOL-wise, it certainly hasn't.

Long Islanders need to realize that we are not living in a time machine and that things like public transportation, diverse housing options and people of color do NOT mean that we're headed towards looking like the South Bronx circa 1977. In 2009, Nassau & Suffolk are still some of the best places to live in the Northeast, but the tax-tax-tax model isn't going to work forever. Eventually we're either going to have to wake up after 60+ years and adapt to life as a suburb of the largest city in America or die and rot as a home solely for the haves and have nots as the middle class flee.
This doesn't just apply to LI, but America in general. Look at any local forum on C-D and behind every hysterical hate filled arugment against Public Transit, Density, Intergration, etc is the vestages of the "White is Right" mindset that has never really gone away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
is this what inspired your Queens to LI epidemic theory? lol...

We all know Mineola is congested. so is 347. can you come up with anything else? Try to avoid your usual misinformed cliches...

Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nevermind. Nassau is not turning into Queens, my mistake. Must of confused it with Westchester perhaps.
just about all of your problems with Nassau can be found in many parts of Suffolk and have been around for quite some time. Your confusion may run a little deeper than you think...

Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
There's a word for when people speak in absolutes without backing any of it up with actual data... it escapes me. Take that and sprinkle in "not so much" every other post and you have the pattern I've noticed with Crooks. It seems like perception and opinion is greater then actual data in many cases for him and once you can get past that, you'll see that he actually has some good insight.
I agree. If you want to know all about the street he lives on, he'll generally be pretty well informed. Beyond that though you're taking your chances...

Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
just about all of your problems with Nassau can be found in many parts of Suffolk and have been around for quite some time. Your confusion may run a little deeper than you think...
Wow we may actually agree on something.

In fact if we took all of Suffolks problems and jammed them in to an area the size of Brookhaven, then parked it at the NYC line... we'd have Nassau.

Suffolks no picnic at all.

For the moment Nassau is serving as its barrier island from the City...somewhat (but then again that what Queens used to be for Nassau).
Lets hope she holds up against this debacle.

Crooks

Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Did it start with a B and end with a T? It wasnt brilliant was it?
No....mot so much.

I think this draws your ire because it may be closer to the truth than youd care to admit.

You can put me on ignore Mikey.
Suffolk may be SOL, but it hasnt fallen yet.

Soon.

Crooks
It's all in good fun... I was serious about you having some good insights. Besides, if I put you on ignore that would lose about half the posting volume on this board.

Specific to this thread, I believe you are close to the truth of it. People are looking to "downsize" and it's logical to sell closer in to buy further out - instant savings if commute isn't a huge factor. Suffolk is really hosed in that scenario and I don't see how it won't get worse. Granted you can downsize by selling in Smithtown and buying in Ridge, but I don't imagine that's going to be attractive to a significant populace. Especially with the draw of the South.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's all in good fun... I was serious about you having some good insights. Besides, if I put you on ignore that would lose about half the posting volume on this board.

Specific to this thread, I believe you are close to the truth of it. People are looking to "downsize" and it's logical to sell closer in to buy further out - instant savings if commute isn't a huge factor. Suffolk is really hosed in that scenario and I don't see how it won't get worse. Granted you can downsize by selling in Smithtown and buying in Ridge, but I don't imagine that's going to be attractive to a significant populace. Especially with the draw of the South.
That is funny.

All good points.

Crooks

Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Wow we may actually agree on something.

In fact if we took all of Suffolks problems and jammed them in to an area the size of Brookhaven, then parked it at the NYC line... we'd have Nassau.

Suffolks no picnic at all.
ok, but....

Quote:
For the moment Nassau is serving as its barrier island from the City
um, is the "barrier" doing its job or not? Make up your mind.

Quote:
...somewhat (but then again that what Queens used to be for Nassau).
I love these massive generalizations about entire counties and boroughs. They're hysterical...

Quote:
Lets hope she holds up against this debacle.
oh, but "she" hasn't. Your own words: Suffolks no picnic at all.

But fear not! This "debacle" is primarily a creation of your own mind. Your little slice of heaven in RP will likely remain unchanged for the time being. Whether or not that's a good thing is a discussion for another thread.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
ok, but....

um, is the "barrier" doing its job or not? Make up your mind.

I love these massive generalizations about entire counties and boroughs. They're hysterical...

oh, but "she" hasn't. Your own words: Suffolks no picnic at all.

But fear not! This "debacle" is primarily a creation of your own mind. Your little slice of heaven in RP will likely remain unchanged for the time being. Whether or not that's a good thing is a discussion for another thread.
SIB

I turned on News 12 today to hear about home invasions in Bellmore and a woman shot in Middle Island.

These are only one mans opinions.

Crooks

Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM

97 posts, read 312,432 times
Just to give my two cents - I'm in contract to buy a house in Lynbrook. The houses are much cheaper than I can find in my desired Queens neighborhoods of Bayside, Fresh Meadows or Bay Terrace - It's not even close. My wife and I are young professionals: She is a teacher, I am in the IT industry on Wall street.

So I'm looking for a nice place to have my wonder years that i can reasonably afford, not destroy it for others.

Crook - One thing that is confusing me here: How can these "degenerates/misfits/ragamuffins" afford these horrendously high taxes in Nassau?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island