Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing999k View Post
Recently, Senator Chuck Schumer has currently pushed to convert nearby MacArthur Airport into an International Airport. This would be a tremendous boom for Bohemia home prices. First, tourists who will travel to Long Island for summer fun will look for short term summer rentals near the airport. This will bring real estate investors like myself to buy up Bohemia inventory. Also, with MacArthur receiving a face-lift and attracting new airlines, you can expect a significant increase in hiring. I expect that employees will look to move to nearby neighborhoods to make their commutes more manageable. They are sure to look at neighboring communities with strong school districts such as Bohemia. For more information about the MacArthur Airport project, watch this news clip from Money & Mainstreet's Giovanna Drpic - MacArthur Gets Facelift | Verizon FiOS1 News - Long Island
Tell me how living right outside an international airport will make a neighborhood more desirable. If anything, the incessant noise from large jets will bring down the neighborhood.

Not saying I'm against ISP becoming an international airport (I'd love that, actually), but let's be real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,865 times
The impact of flight noise on home values is a myth. Springfield Gardens has always been a great spot for real estate investment and it adjacent to JFK airport. In fact, Springfield Gardens home prices are approximately 10 to 15% higher than Bayside home prices. What drives market prices is demand! Inventory in Bohemia is limited. There will be a natural increase in demand simply based on the fact that the rental market in Bohemia would improve (as employment at ISP increases) and real estate investors love renters. As far as short term rentals are concerned, I completely understand your point about the industrial park, but let's be real ... tourists don't know that and typically look for hotels near an airport. Like I said, I have been doing this for 20 years, you may not agree with me, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Also, to be clear, I am not a Realtor nor do I live in Bohemia. I have been a long standing resident of Old Brookville and I'm sure I'll be here for a while. Let me be clear, a home in Bohemia is a good investment. The prices in the current market are reasonable, but they will go up in the near term (airport or no airport).

Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,588 times
Clearly Investing999k missed the "Aircraft Noise over Nassau" thread, in which we learned that jet noise is CRIMINAL, JUST CRIMINAL.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 889 times
our family is moving to the long island area and have never been there - but we are in medical residency program - are there any nice neighborhoods for small children but in the 250,000 range?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:11 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmotherglenda View Post
our family is moving to the long island area and have never been there - but we are in medical residency program - are there any nice neighborhoods for small children but in the 250,000 range?
No.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:41 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmotherglenda View Post

You may find something more in Suffolk for that price, but Nassau would be difficult.

Have you factored in taxes? How many children do you have? Where is your medical residency?

Have you considered renting before deciding to buy?

We need more than a price range to help you.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:06 AM

196 posts, read 418,953 times
If you are doing a residency, rent and then buy a house when the real doctor money kicks in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island