Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:45 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times

Advertisements

I've been teaching in the city for 3 years now in bad areas and don't know how much longer I want to keep doing this. I'm looking into options for next school year, so I'm wondering how much a teacher's assistant and Catholic school teacher make on the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
for elementary schools, you start in the high $20,000 range. For high school, each is different because they independantly run. You definately make more money in the city schools, but the stress factor may be higher than teaching in a Catholic school.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
for elementary schools, you start in the high $20,000 range. For high school, each is different because they independantly run. You definately make more money in the city schools, but the stress factor may be higher than teaching in a Catholic school.

You think high 20s if I have 3 years teaching experience? Or could it be more?

Anyone know about Catholic school teacher pay? It sounds like it isn't that much more than Teacher assistants.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
They don't start that high. They also don't need a master's degree so that factors in.

Figure what you're making now will be your top salary, you'll pay what the private sector does for insurance, and your pension won't compare.

On the other hand, your stress level will diminish 100 fold, you won't pay to commute to the Bronx, and you'll save yourself about 3 hours a day commuting. Some things, you can't put a price tag on.

Last edited by twingles; 11-29-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Thing is, my husband teaches in the city too but seems to be a lot happier than me. He got into a good school in Queens because his dad used to teach there. Despite my experience, I can't get out of the hood (good areas of the city seem to be based on who you know, just like LI). It's starting to take a toll on me. I'm mostly worried about the money. He makes about 60,000 and I make 54,000. But we just bought a house with a mortgage of 2319 a month, plus bills. We manage to save about $1000 a month, but we're trying to save to have a baby in a couple of years. Not really sure what to do. This job is starting to affect my health and I worry about myself, and so does he.

One positive of leaving the city is that I can be on his insurance and won't need to pay for it if I go to LI.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
In your shoes I'd stay till I have a baby, saving my money - and then leave. There are always positions available in Catholic schools - my sister used to teach in one. Join your local parish and make some friends. Better yet, join a parish that has a really strong school and do some volunteer work, make friends with the people on the Board and on the Home-School Association. My kids went to Catholic school for pre-school - those people can really pull some strings, let me tell you.

Now YOU know why people on LI are always talking about money, especially when you throw kids into the equation

Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,768 times
Catholic Schools do not pay very well, and IIRC they do not contribute to NYS Teachers Reirement System. So all of the years spent teaching in a Catholic School do not count toward years of service in the System.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:28 PM

37 posts, read 106,320 times
I taught in Catholic Schools on LI for 16 years. My salary when I left was in the low $40's with a masters +15. Most teachers have their masters because it is required in NY and most try to get into public or at least want the higher pay in Catholic Schools. You might eek out the low $30's but I'm not sure. You will probably get credit for your 3 years. They are a great place to work but you will take a HUGE pay cut. Also their pensions are low. Don't be so sure it will be easy to get a job in one either. Their are hundreds of teachers who cannot get jobs in the public schools and are willing (many actually prefer) to work in the private schools. As an aside you will be shocked at how much harder private school teachers work==no unions. You will be required to do duties, attend some after school functions and guess what-no extra pay. You would do better to stay where you are and earn your years of service if salary is important. But you have to weigh quality of life.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:42 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,655 times
If you've only been teaching for three years, then I wouldn't give up yet on finding a better job in the city. With the current hiring freeze, only brand new schools can hire new teachers, and even those can only hire 40% of their teaching staff from new teachers.

I would say to keep looking in the city for next year - preferably someplace with a decent commute. I teach in Brooklyn and the commute is not bad at all. You might also look into a different certification area. ESL and Special Education are still pretty high need areas. You might want to look into extending your certification to one of those content areas or extending the grades you are licensed to teach.

You could also look into charter schools if you aren't concerned about coverage. Charter schools are often paid higher salary but have fewer benefits but that might work for you since you can still have health insurance through your husband.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:55 PM

I actually don't teach in the Bronx anymore. I found an opening in a school in Jamaica about a month ago and have been teaching there since. It's only a little better. I feel like I'm destined to be working in the hood my entire career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: