Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,419 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I may be moving to Nassau County in the near future. Can anyone recommend animal shelters which are good places to volunteer? I am used to dogwalking at my county animal shelter. Any suggestions? Places closest to Long Beach would be best (within 1/2 hour drive). Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
This is a good one and if you go over the Atlantic Beach bridge, you can get there pretty quick:

Bobbi and the Strays - NY Pet Rescue & Adoption

It has programs for dogwalkers, etc.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:16 PM

Are the dogwalker programs at JFK or something like that? Or are you saying to go to the Atlas Mall?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Are the dogwalker programs at JFK or something like that? Or are you saying to go to the Atlas Mall?
They keep most of the dogs at the JFK facility and that is where most people volunteer dog walking. They should have the JFK facility through the end of 2010, but they are actively looking for a new home. The Atlas Mall location has mostly cats and some small dogs (which could also need volunteer walkers).

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 PM

27 posts, read 179,671 times
I volunteer here. dog-center (http://www.lasthopeanimalrescue.org/dog-center.htm - broken link)

If you take Ocean Pkwy, it would fit your time frame. I found my shelter through www.volunteermatch.com.

There's one in Freeport called Freeport Animal Shelter. Freeport Animal Shelter

You can also check out shelters here. Long Island Animal Shelters Pet Adoption Centers Nassau Suffolk New York

Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Also, there's this

Petfinder.com - Animal Welfare Organizations Near You=

Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 AM

Simply Sandy, how is Last Hope? Are there volunteer dogwalkers? Are they a good organization? I know all about Petfinder. I am trying to narrow it down to a place that has a good dogwalking program on weekends, that even encourages training. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 PM

I love it there! It's VERY small. Only 8 runs. All the dogs are rescues from other shelters with euthanizing policies. The cats and the dogs are in seperate facilities (GREAT for my allergies!). It's completely volunteer run but the space is adjacent to a vet's office & he volunteers his time with the pets. His staff does all their medical intake and gives daily meds and food. The volunteers come 3 days a week/everyday @ 9am, 1pm, and 6pm. There are a ton of volunteers on the weekends. Volunteers are in charge of walking the dogs, cleaning out the cages, changing the bedding if needed. We also socialize and work on training skills with the pups. I like to take one out a couple of Saturdays a month to different parks to give them a little one on one TLC time and more stranger socialization. There are usually some sort of community day thing that our dogs get involved in once a month or so. This month we were in Pet Smart in Huntington and at Walt Whitman mall doing Santa Pictures and wrapping presents and getting the word out about our dogs and our cause and raising donations.
If you are interested in coming to check it out or if you have any other questions about the shelter, send me a PM and I will give you the phone # for the person you should call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island