Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:04 AM

189 posts, read 632,911 times

Advertisements

Are the schools really bad in the village of Huntington or is it really just a racist thing where white people are freaking out there there are some black and Latino people there?

I'm looking at statistics and it looks pretty middle of the road to me. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
It is pretty middle of the road. Huntington is VERY diverse. It was very diverse when I grew up there and went to the schools. I can remember teaching kids to speak English as a child in elementary school! Has it gotten MORE diverse? There is a large Hispanic population. A good number of people in the district feel that the school board....how shall I put this..."kow tows" to the minority population. There was a big blow up a few years back about the whole thing. Current HUntington school district residents can probably fill you in better on that.

One other thing to keep in mind is that Huntington has bussing. I never moved while growing up, but I went to 3 different elementary schools from kindergarten to 6th grade because they are constantly changing the within-district dividing lines of who goes to which school. So you might buy a house worth a million + in HUntington Bay thinking your child will go to Flower Hill School, only to find out a few years later that - sorry - but they've decided to change it all around and your child is going to Huntington Elementary (which might be called HUntington Intermediate these days) which is deep in the heart of the 'hood. And when I say deep in the heart of the 'hood, I mean surrounded by housing projects, it's been known to have bullet holes in the outside walls, cop cars stationed outside of it at certain times, and a well known drug dealing location just around the corner. Sad, because it's really a lovely school ( I went to kindergarten there, right around the time they were building the projects).

I think you should drive around the neighborhoods, go to the schools, talk to the principals, check out the populace that you see coming and going, see if there are people outside willing to talk to you about the schools.

My DH and I looked in Huntington when we were househunting 13-14 years ago and we eventually ruled out Huntington because of the bussing factor. We were looking in West Neck and Southdown and just didn't want to deal with the "what-ifs" - or we would have sent our kids to St. Pat's, but that's another bill on top of taxes.

HTH.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:39 PM

again, thanks for the Huntington info
My wife and I just drove around the area and we actually liked the section between Nassau Rd and New York Ave the best - just south of the village and east of New York Avenue.
Do you know anything about that area? Like Dewey Street and Sammis Street. It seems like a young area.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:51 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
again, thanks for the Huntington info
My wife and I just drove around the area and we actually liked the section between Nassau Rd and New York Ave the best - just south of the village and east of New York Avenue.
Do you know anything about that area? Like Dewey Street and Sammis Street. It seems like a young area.
Hmmm what do you consider young
Popular area, partly because of the proximity to downtown Huntington (walking distance to almost everything!) as well as to the LIRR for commuting.
You might even like (some of) the cross streets going over to Spring Street... and then there are the side streets/homes off Soundview (off Woodbury RD); many "young" couples there.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:56 PM

where is Spring Street? I see Spring Road. We like the more neigherhood feel of the area that I mentioned. Soundview looked really nice, but maybe a little too rural for us..
As far as young, I mean couples in their 30s. What is considered 'young' for huntington? maybe we are looking in the wrong area!! haha

Old 12-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
where is Spring Street? I see Spring Road. We like the more neigherhood feel of the area that I mentioned.

As far as young, I mean couples in their 30s. What is considered 'young' for huntington? maybe we are looking in the wrong area!! haha
Ooops - my bad It is Spring Road!

30s is fine - young enough

Old 12-26-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Ooops - my bad It is Spring Road!

30s is fine - young enough
haha, well my wife is 29 and I'm 35... so we aren't THAT old yet... lol
Oh, where are those section 8 apartments everybody keeps talking about? where does the "bad" area begin?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
haha, well my wife is 29 and I'm 35... so we aren't THAT old yet... lol
Oh, where are those section 8 apartments everybody keeps talking about? where does the "bad" area begin?
Young is relative I'm a grandma
On the other hand, Elizabeth Taylor was 37 when she first became I grandma

And Section 8 doesn't necessarily mean "bad" area... Some landlords actually prefer it and other programs, because the rent gets sent to them automatically each month--never a worry about collecting.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Young is relative I'm a grandma
On the other hand, Elizabeth Taylor was 37 when she first became I grandma

And Section 8 doesn't necessarily mean "bad" area... Some landlords actually prefer it and other programs, because the rent gets sent to them automatically each month--never a worry about collecting.

Well that was why I put "bad" in quotes. I keep hearing about how bad Huntington Station is and I am trying to figure out why and where. I've lived in Nassau and NYC my entire life. I think Huntington is a good fit, I just want to make sure the area that we are looking in is safe and all. Huntington Station seems to have a bad reputation. We are looking at houses just south of the village.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Well that was why I put "bad" in quotes. I keep hearing about how bad Huntington Station is and I am trying to figure out why and where. I've lived in Nassau and NYC my entire life. I think Huntington is a good fit, I just want to make sure the area that we are looking in is safe and all. Huntington Station seems to have a bad reputation. We are looking at houses just south of the village.
Parts of Huntington Station deserve the "reputation" - most of it NOT.

Where you are looking is Huntington, not Huntington Station, nor near what you seem to be concerned about. Then again, bad things can happen anywhere...

While I try to stick to informational posts on this forum, I must admit that I'm one of Huntington's biggest fans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island