Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you flash oncoming cars after for a speed trap??
Yes...I feel for my fellow speeder. 22 51.16%
No...they are a menace! 10 23.26%
Maybe...under certain circumstances? 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM

87 posts, read 106,809 times

Advertisements

No, they shouldnt be speeding. Do you notify street corner drug dealers that the police are coming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM

939 posts, read 2,684,545 times
I always flash oncoming drivers if I pass a speed trap. Problem is, most folks are too stupid nowadays to know what the flash means

Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,250,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I always flash oncoming drivers if I pass a speed trap. Problem is, most folks are too stupid nowadays to know what the flash means
I agree with this. Usually I am doing it on the thruway or on a highway upstate. I feel liek I am doing it and no one is paying attention.

As for those that said it is illegal, is that really true?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM

153 posts, read 607,152 times
I don't. Not sure it would work with most drivers, especially younger ones who don't really get it.

Side note, anyone else feel like so many people drive with the high beams on all the time even when not needed around here?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,145,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I agree with this. Usually I am doing it on the thruway or on a highway upstate. I feel liek I am doing it and no one is paying attention.

As for those that said it is illegal, is that really true?

they say it falls along the lines of "interfering with governmental procedures/enforcement"/.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 AM

49 posts, read 131,373 times
Can't say if this is definitive, but from wikipedia:

In New York, headlight flashing is not illegal. New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375 [3] requires that headlamps "shall be operated so that dazzling light does not interfere with the driver of the approaching vehicle".[29] In 1994, New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division held that flipping or flicking high beams at approaching vehicles is insufficient to cause the "dazzling lights" prohibited under New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375 [3].[30] In 2009, the New York Supreme Court held that the flashing of lights alone is not a violation of New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375 [3], that stopping a vehicle based upon that is illegal, and all evidence gather as a result of the illegal stop should be suppressed.[31]

-G

Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
they say it falls along the lines of "interfering with governmental procedures/enforcement"/.

And how are they going to prove you aren't simply flashing someone to alert them that their lights aren't on or that their brights are on?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM

815 posts, read 2,054,724 times
And how are they going to prove you aren't simply flashing someone to alert them that their lights aren't on or that their brights are on?

I think the police have heard that excuse, and it doen't hold water if it is in the daytime. They have also heard the, "I wanted to make a turn and flashed the brights by mistake" excuse too.
Here is a related driving trip from me (have over 1,000,000 miles driven):
At night, always travel with your brights on. Turn them off if there is somebody in front of you, of course. And turn them off promptly if a car is approaching you. Cops judge the response time for a driver turning high beams down to low beams. If it is too long of a time, they pull you over to check if you are impaired. With your high beams on regularly:
1) you see more deer, pedestrians, other vehicles running without lights;
2) the approaching driver sees you turn them to low beams, and does not flash you (and blind you) thinking that those are your high beams.

End of free driving lesson, you are welcome!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,523,681 times
I kinda gave up on it after living in Utah where driving skill is at historic lows and arrogance is thirving. It's way worse then here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island