Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Town of Babylon or Town of Islip?
Islip 6 15.79%
Babylon 32 84.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 PM

31 posts, read 135,571 times

Advertisements

Lindy has changed a bit over the years, like most small towns, certain dirtbomb people moved in and set the bar lower. The High School has a herion problem, like most places, but I still like the downtown area, Ive never had an issue there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 PM

18 posts, read 29,621 times
it's nice to see all the different reviews. it depends on the person & their views i guess. some people think that lindenhurst is good & some don't, but i love it. i'm moving there from brooklyn very soon & i can't wait. my family has been to the area a few times & we never wanted to leave to go back to brooklyn. we hate brooklyn now. to mixed with different cultures & languages. for american people like us, lindenhurst is a way to go. can't wait to live there.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,413 times
I have lived in Lindenhurst for the last 20 years. I live South of Montauk in a flood area. I have experienced 9 significant floods since living here. Each time, I have rebuilt my little 100 year old bungalow. The last flood (Sandy) took my bungalow down. That in itself breaks my heart but I had the proper insurance (even though they screwed me) and was able to rebuild up on pilings. I will not leave Lindenhurst. Sure it has its' share of issues like most towns on LI do, but, the people here are real. There is a sense of community here that I have not experienced since I was a child growing up in Massapequa. We all know each other, especially those of us that have experienced the floods. After the last two large storms, Irene and Sandy, our neighborhoods lost some folks. Some sold, some just left and never came back but for those of us that stayed, we have solidified our bond here. The local businesses are great. People are friendly and we have each other's backs. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM

764 posts, read 1,554,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunty View Post
I have lived in Lindenhurst for the last 20 years. I live South of Montauk in a flood area. I have experienced 9 significant floods since living here. Each time, I have rebuilt my little 100 year old bungalow. The last flood (Sandy) took my bungalow down. That in itself breaks my heart but I had the proper insurance (even though they screwed me) and was able to rebuild up on pilings. I will not leave Lindenhurst. Sure it has its' share of issues like most towns on LI do, but, the people here are real. There is a sense of community here that I have not experienced since I was a child growing up in Massapequa. We all know each other, especially those of us that have experienced the floods. After the last two large storms, Irene and Sandy, our neighborhoods lost some folks. Some sold, some just left and never came back but for those of us that stayed, we have solidified our bond here. The local businesses are great. People are friendly and we have each other's backs. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

My parents still live in Lindenhurst. I see Lindenhurst south of Montauk becoming huge mansions. I am surprised developers haven't bought out the sandy wrecked houses yet. Buy 2 or 3 properties and convert to one big property with a huge house on it.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:19 PM

413 posts, read 599,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
My parents still live in Lindenhurst. I see Lindenhurst south of Montauk becoming huge mansions. I am surprised developers haven't bought out the sandy wrecked houses yet. Buy 2 or 3 properties and convert to one big property with a huge house on it.

I think it's because it is supposedly still seeing too much flooding. I don't live there, just hear the reports and that's the impression I get. The 1st noreaster is going to be a real test for Lindenhurst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island