Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
This is so true - the ronkonkoma line has really gone to sh**. I just started taking this line and it has me depressed.

The LIRR servine on the ronkonkoma line sucks as well. After 8pm on weekdays there's only 1 train every hour. I'm moving to the mineola area as soon as I can.
And the once an hour isn't enough, the trains get PACKED. The crowding and dwell times at stops makes Ronkonkoma trains almost always late weekends and off peak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
About 4 years ago I came back late from a concert on a weekend at about 1am and got off at Ronkonkoma. It didn't seem so bad. I came back a few times late at night. Has it really gotten that bad in about 3-4 years?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:14 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
About 4 years ago I came back late from a concert on a weekend at about 1am and got off at Ronkonkoma. It didn't seem so bad. I came back a few times late at night. Has it really gotten that bad in about 3-4 years?
Not Ronkonoma the station.

Ronkonkoma the line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Li...land_Rail_Road)

Old 02-07-2010, 07:20 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Wow, while I knew about places like Hempstead and Wyandanch, I didn't realize so many other parts of LI got "that bad".

A lot of people in Westchester think of LI as "rich suburbs" like here (the same way that some of my LI relatives think even southern Westchester is "upstate" for some reason.....). An eye-opener.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 AM

120 posts, read 217,113 times
Maybe they should get the Guardian Angels on board?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Not Ronkonoma the station.

Ronkonkoma the line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Li...land_Rail_Road)
Oh, you meant the line...But I still really didn't notice anything that unusual all the times I rode it in those 3 years. I noticed the people riding were a little more trashy than what I always saw growing up right near the Port Jeff line. Sorry if that sounds offensive, I just couldn't think of any other way of saying it, lol.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:48 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Dont believe all the hype. Please. LI has not turned into a hell hole, although one would think so by reading this post. There are some sketchy people. But those people prob. equal about 2%. There are maybe 3 or 4 other towns that compare with Wyandanch and Hempstead. And for the other towns they are not even close. So point is...dont always believe what you read on these boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Wow, while I knew about places like Hempstead and Wyandanch, I didn't realize so many other parts of LI got "that bad".

A lot of people in Westchester think of LI as "rich suburbs" like here (the same way that some of my LI relatives think even southern Westchester is "upstate" for some reason.....). An eye-opener.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
I agree. Just because someone is not white doesn't make them illegal or a "skel" or whatever. Way overblown. On the weekends (esp when there are concerts at the Garden) you get a lot of drunk kids on the train. Still nothing compared to the E train after hours.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM

414 posts, read 911,511 times
Johninwestbury: "Illegalwood" and "Central America"...very funny!!
I'm feeling a little stoo-pid today...what is a "piney"?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:22 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Oh, you meant the line...But I still really didn't notice anything that unusual all the times I rode it in those 3 years. I noticed the people riding were a little more trashy than what I always saw growing up right near the Port Jeff line. Sorry if that sounds offensive, I just couldn't think of any other way of saying it, lol.
None taken.

I agree PJ Station is AWFUL and the Ronkonkoma station is nice but the ridership on that line is a different deal all togeter.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island