Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:46 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl2010 View Post
So "Gpsma" you are telling me that a Real Estate Agent would not show me and my family a house in those neighborhoods....which quite frankly is illegal...
Illegal or not, the Real Estate agents will do their best not to show you houses in certain areas. If you have specific houses from a listing, I suppose they will have to take you there. I know that in Massapequa you will be steered probably to East Massapequa which is a more "diverse" (god, I hate that PC word) area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 PM

58 posts, read 165,044 times
If I had to commute to the City and had that price range I would look in Syosset on the North Shore. It is very central and close to LIRR & LIE.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:09 PM

217 posts, read 254,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxboy2141 View Post
If I had to commute to the City and had that price range I would look in Syosset on the North Shore. It is very central and close to LIRR & LIE.
Same here... no offense to anyone here but in the OP's price range, Syosset is by far the most attractive option. Forget about Baldwin, Farmingdale, Seaford, New Hyde Park - Syosset is a much nicer town than those listed and the school district is LEAGUES better.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
I'd have no problem selling to you but just as a FYI - I recently sold my house (well went to contract really; will close in June) and I live in New Hyde Park. My house is in very good condition and sold in three weeks. Even in that short timeframe, my house had many showings, probably somewhere around 40. I can tell you that practically all (probably about 95%) of the people that looked at my house were either Asian or Indian. I'm selling to an Indian family. There was just a handful, if even that, of white families. Again, I'd glady show my house to an African-American family but none of the agents brought such a family to my house. Obviously I don't know if this was a case of just no interest or if there was encouragement by the agents not to look at it. I can tell you if you moved here, you'd most definitely be outnumbered by Asians and Indians. NHP is a good location though, especially for commuting into Manhattan. I take the LIRR at Merillon Avenue (the infamous stop if you recall the 1993 shooting) and I'm at Penn in just over a half hour.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 PM

15 posts, read 31,560 times
Thanks again for the feedback. I will see what is available in Syosset...I know it seems as if I am all over the map! But a good commute is very important to me since I am still fairly young and is not planning on retiring soon unless of course I hit the lottery ...I also want to stick to my price range as I do want to have some diposable income after my mortgage, taxes etc. to still be able to take my vacations lol...Thanks again all...

Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
So "Gpsma" you are telling me that a Real Estate Agent would not show me and my family a house in those neighborhoods....which quite frankly is illegal...
I grew up in Massapequa. Years back, 1977? there was an African American family living in the area. A cross was burned on their lawn. My neighborhood was primarily Italian and Jewish (hence the nickname: MatzohPizza) The Italian families were very close and tight; many were racist. I am ashamed to say that I learned disparaging terms (in Italian)for black people from friend's parents and grandparents.

Reconnecting with old classmates, a fair number married other classmates and remained local. There hasn't been much of a change in the area with relation to ethnic and religious background.

I doubt a real estate agent would refuse to show you houses in the area, but I wonder if they wouldn't attempt to talk you out of the area?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM

15 posts, read 31,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I grew up in Massapequa. Years back, 1977? there was an African American family living in the area. A cross was burned on their lawn. My neighborhood was primarily Italian and Jewish (hence the nickname: MatzohPizza) The Italian families were very close and tight; many were racist. I am ashamed to say that I learned disparaging terms (in Italian)for black people from friend's parents and grandparents.

Reconnecting with old classmates, a fair number married other classmates and remained local. There hasn't been much of a change in the area with relation to ethnic and religious background.

I doubt a real estate agent would refuse to show you houses in the area, but I wonder if they wouldn't attempt to talk you out of the area?
Not going to Massapequa...Thanks

Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
After I posted, I saw that Syosset was a consideration. Great idea for commuting with excellent schools.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
I will see what is available in Syosset...
It's important to note that Syosset is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet:

Places with a "Syosset, NY 11791" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Syosset are in the Village of Muttontown, the Village of Oyster Bay Cove and the Village of Laurel Hollow; and, at the same time, there are places that are in the Hamlet of Syosset that have a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:04 PM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It's important to note that Syosset is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet:

Places with a "Syosset, NY 11791" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Syosset are in the Village of Muttontown, the Village of Oyster Bay Cove and the Village of Laurel Hollow; and, at the same time, there are places that are in the Hamlet of Syosset that have a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address.
It is important to note that this is not relevant to the thread topic, and is only likely to confuse the OP. Nycgirl2010, don't let this confuse you. Just look in what is "colloquially" know as (actually located in) Syosset.

And...yes, those villages share a ZIP code, but I don't know anyone who's paid for a house in Laurel Hollow or Muttontown who writes "Syosset" as their address, nor does the post office require them to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island