Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,348,155 times

Advertisements

I haven't done it, but for a detached garage, finishing things off you have a bit of a fine line to walk.
as mentioned before, if you have a 2nd story, the collarties will have to be low, so you technically can't finish that. Also, they're biggest concern about the whole thing is that you don't make it a little cottage you can rent. Although in concept, I don't think anyone is really against you putting up a wall and some sheetrock in your garage, the rules make it probably more difficult than you'd think just to avoid a rentalable space.

I would call the building department on a no-name basis and put the hypothetical out there to see what is legal. If you can't do what you want through the permit process... assuming you're not setting up a 2nd house... or a mechanic's business, I don't think people would find it objectionable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:11 AM

284 posts, read 986,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I think of that work as the same as finishing a basement, not that big of a deal when you aren't adding a kitchen or bathroom. I would guess that as long as you do the work properly and up to code now you could do without the permit and it will get dealt with when you sell the house.

This is way i would do it , take pictures during the process wouldn't hurt

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 33,394 times
I went to the town of Brookhaven offices and asked questions about the very same issue . I was told heating and plumbing make a SHED not a shed .... but make it an apartment conversion unless its grandfathered in by a CO PROVEN before 1964 ?!! Ok we DO have that thank God ( amazingly thank GOD multiple "vintage "COS were discovered and disclosed before our recent closing by our awesome title company ....)

What we DO have is a derelict 2 car ( but waterfront and with AMAZING inspiring sea and sky views ) garage ( i'm planning to convert it to a painting studio / guesthouse upstairs and a sculpture studio downstairs ) with full plumbing connections to our 1930 vintage cistern /cesspool - with several existing connections to toilets and sinks and showers ( we have multiple dockspace which we hope will help us pay our HORRIBLE taxes !! ) as well as connections to ( long ago ) heat , its own hot water heater etc .

Brookhaven was rather snooty with me regarding my right to restore my own property frankly .

Here's a tip I learned from the title company - they had a fire of their records on the mid sixties - so if U can prove a CO before then Ure golden . I also DONT need to pay any extra taxes as I( or rather the property owners before me ) have been paying extra taxes all along as IF the live-above garage was fully functional ( and BOY does the tax bill reflect that ! ) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: