Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:13 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,466 times

Advertisements

We are currently renting an apartment in a house. We are upstairs and another couple is renting an apartment downstairs. It is non-owner occupied.

We have found out through public records that is a Single Family Home, not a 2 Family Home. THe house has 2 kitchens, 2 seperate living areas...it is designed like a 2 family home...just not recorded that way. Legally it is a Single Family Home.

If we were to break our lease, could our landlord sue us and win for the remainder of the lease? Can we sue for back rent, or anything?

Obviously, we hate our landlord due to many things. We have always paid our rent on time, if not a couple of days early and have the place in top notch condition.

What can we do, if we wanted to, in regards to moving out at any time, and any lawsuits or trouble we can get the landlord in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Well, you could report the house to your town building department. Be prepared to move, though, because it will most likely result in the town requiring you to vacate. As for breaking the lease on an illegal apartment, I have seen this go both ways. Most of the time, though, the judge will still hold you responsible for living up to the terms of the lease.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Well, you could report the house to your town building department. Be prepared to move, though, because it will most likely result in the town requiring you to vacate. As for breaking the lease on an illegal apartment, I have seen this go both ways. Most of the time, though, the judge will still hold you responsible for living up to the terms of the lease.

What if:

1. The landlord had OUR cable hooked up to the downstairs apartment...so we were paying for our cable bill and the people downstairs were getting it for free.

2. In the lease it says the landlord will maintain the premises, including the backyard, and we have pictures showing last summer the yard was never maintained and looked like a jungle.

3. Has never given me a receipt for rent paid, though I have asked constantly for one.

Those, in addition, to it being an illegal apartment

Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
I don't mean to be harsh...but you should have checked it out BEFORE you moved in. Don't be surprised if the court says that to you...b/c that is what I would say. The landlord wants your money so of course he/she is going to make you think it's all fine & dandy. It is your job to be a smart and responsible tenant and check things out before you commit.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
3. Has never given me a receipt for rent paid, though I have asked constantly for one.
Why are you giving rent when they aren't giving you a receipt? Are you paying in cash? if you are paying via check then just write "RENT FOR XX/XX/XXXX" on the note.. that should be good enough.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM

94 posts, read 255,798 times
Quote:

Be careful it can go both ways...Thats why when I rented I always paid with a check...That is your receipt.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM

341 posts, read 1,535,479 times
I'd forget about getting back rent. You can't live rent free.

That said, assuming the landlord never told you it was an illegal apartment...

if you want to break your lease, send a certified letter to him/her. In it, explain that you have recently obtained information indicating that the house you are living in has not been zoned as a multi-family and thus, the apartment you are renting is not legal. As such, you feel it was misrepresented and you intend to move. After moving and receiving the prompt return of your security deposit, you will consider the matter closed. Then give the date you want to vacate (I'd suggest giving 30 days).

If the landlord isn't receptive, then explain that if you have to take the case to small claims court, you'll need documentation from the town which will require your reporting the illegal apartment.

basically, make the fact that the apartment is illegal as the reason you are leaving... argue that the landlord entered the agreement in bad faith.

of course, you need to be ready to leave. Again, forget about back rent. once you start trying to get something for nothing, your argument gets weak.

Take it to People's court. They LOVE these cases and she always roasts the guy with the illegal apt.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
What if:

1. The landlord had OUR cable hooked up to the downstairs apartment...so we were paying for our cable bill and the people downstairs were getting it for free.

2. In the lease it says the landlord will maintain the premises, including the backyard, and we have pictures showing last summer the yard was never maintained and looked like a jungle.

Who is paying for the heat, electricity, water, gas, etc. if it's not a valid 2-family house and the landlord does not live there? How is all of that set up?

There are also homes that have permits for an accessory apartment that are not categorized as 2 family homes. Check with your municipality.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Who is paying for the heat, electricity, water, gas, etc. if it's not a valid 2-family house and the landlord does not live there? How is all of that set up?

There are also homes that have permits for an accessory apartment that are not categorized as 2 family homes. Check with your municipality.

There is an upstairs and downstairs (more like a basement). LL pays for all utilities except cable/phone/internet

How could I check to see if they have the proper permits?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
There is an upstairs and downstairs (more like a basement). LL pays for all utilities except cable/phone/internet

How could I check to see if they have the proper permits?
If the LL pays for it all, they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: