Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ that's almost the size of tree I was talking about. Actually mine has an even bigger trunk and the branches start higher... can that completely level a house or just the roofing?
Without a doubt....flat as a pancake if it hits right. If is really close it might just lean on the house. Momentum hurts.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Ah! The devil's advocate.

If tree owners maintain their trees -- keep them pruned, freed of vines, etc., it would eliminate some problems which were experienced during the Nor'easter. We have to admit that this weather was very extreme; and many older, healthy trees stood fine against the wind. Cutting down big, old healthy trees (note the emphasis on health) on the chance that they might topple in a severe windstorm/hurricane is overreacting.

The ground was oversaturated and the wind intense; as someone else indicated, there are trees out there whose root system is not deep because some Lawn-obsessed LIers overwater. Shallow roots, saturated earth, unhealthy trees, and high winds = Topple!

By all means, if someone has a tree which has seen better days -- cut it down. Please don't go about hacking away willy-nilly over the fear that the tree might fall.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Without a doubt....flat as a pancake if it hits right. If is really close it might just lean on the house. Momentum hurts.....
Sort of sounds like Newtown's first law of motion!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
I disagree that a lot of this is due to poor pruning. there are 5 trees down within a 3 house radius of my house. All of them pine trees, all of them significantly taller than the houses they are near, at least 50 yrs old. One right after another falling over from the base. Luckily only 1 house took any damage and at that, not much. It appears pine trees have a shallow root structure and high wind resistance.

No power and heat since saturday. fun fun fun, but with such a mess, I don't know what LIPA really could do differently with the number of trees down. If it were an overload problem, that can be planned for, and is a problem they can concentrate on quickly, they have 10,000 (guessing) downed lines, it takes time.

wish I were higher up the list though..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 AM

Pines -- the wet evergreen needles and cones helped to make the tree even heavier, which certainly did not help at all. Also, a pine tree is full whereas the oaks, maples, etc., being deciduous in nature, didn't have any leaves on them to offer further wind resistance. (Think sail vs no sail.) If this were to have occurred later in the season with trees in full leaf, it would probably have been that much worse.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Wow.
Looks like I'm about to sharpen my tree removal skills.
I couldn't get anybody to come out. The earliest is 10 days to 2 weeks.
Now my stupid ass has to climb this leaning 60 foot high tree and start cutting it down piece by piece.
If a couple of weeks go by and you notice I haven't posted on here, then you know what happened to me...

Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times
Ok I can't read the full article but has the Pres. of LIPA actually come out with a statement telling people to "chill out"? I'm sure he's resting comfortably in his home watching this on his flat screen. He really shouldn't have said anything. I think what he said will only make people angrier. I know my first though when I heard that was "well if he want's to chill out he can come over to my place where it's a balmy 52 degrees as of this morning".

Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times

No, momentum is the third law of motion. But inertia certainly has a lot to do with the path a tree takes.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Ok I can't read the full article but has the Pres. of LIPA actually come out with a statement telling people to "chill out"? I'm sure he's resting comfortably in his home watching this on his flat screen. He really shouldn't have said anything. I think what he said will only make people angrier. I know my first though when I heard that was "well if he want's to chill out he can come over to my place where it's a balmy 52 degrees as of this morning".
Here's an even better quote from LIPA:

Angry customer vandalizes LIPA office

Quote:
Mark Gross, a spokesman for LIPA, said it was the first case of vandalism directed at the agency since the powerful storm slammed Long Island, leaving thousands without electricity.

"Apparently he was upset," Gross said.
Eh, no kidding!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post

No, momentum is the third law of motion. But inertia certainly has a lot to do with the path a tree takes.
Newton's first law of motion: An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

Newton's third law: For every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction.

I was thinking along the lines of stationary tree (object at rest) acted upon by wind, setting it into motion, which is why I thought it was Law 1. Then again, I loathed physics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island