Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:34 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

. Recently there was some kind of poll in the news that Lazio had it 3-1 over Levy. Hmmmm. I doubt that will last (if it is actuallly true and Lazio didn't pay for it somehow).
I found that very curious too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 PM

748 posts, read 2,889,420 times
I think things like pension/401k/IRA cannot be touched. Here is an example of when OJ Simpson was able to retain his 401k money even when he filed for bankruptcy. WikiAnswers - Can you withdraw from 401k during chapter 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
The fact that pensions cannot be touched is a crying shame, and Levy needs to take the bullet proof vest off civil service pensions.

How about Tassone in Roslyn, former superintendent is sent to jail for stealing a couple of million bucks from the district, only to continue to collect on his $175K a year pension!

Anyone on LI who doesn't vote for Steve Levy is a moron.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I think things like pension/401k/IRA cannot be touched. Here is an example of when OJ Simpson was able to retain his 401k money even when he filed for bankruptcy. WikiAnswers - Can you withdraw from 401k during chapter 13
In bankruptcy law, yes, that is something the creditors absolutely cannot touch. However, there have been cases of public servants fired who do not get their pensions. Would have to research this.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,671 times
I'm serious about firing teachers and administrators. Sorry, but they are not the "untouchables". If they fail to make proper concessions, then they should be out. We can hire plenty of great teachers from the NY tri-state area who will do the job.

Other districts around the country have done it. We can do it too. Then we will see how the collective bargaining negotiations go next time

Old 03-23-2010, 04:06 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,116,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

I'll be voting for him. Recently there was some kind of poll in the news that Lazio had it 3-1 over Levy. Hmmmm. I doubt that will last (if it is actuallly true and Lazio didn't pay for it somehow). Lazio is one of the most useless weasels in politics. The last time he ran a (failed) campaign he left many small businesses and vendors holding the bag by running up bills and not paying them and he has the nerve to start campaigning yet again to be the governor of NYS. (But, even if he were of sterling character, I would still vote for Levy!)
The poll was done days before Levy announced his official running on the GOP, Gafney scored just about the same when he first announced his running.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,009,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
The fact that pensions cannot be touched is a crying shame, and Levy needs to take the bullet proof vest off civil service pensions.

How about Tassone in Roslyn, former superintendent is sent to jail for stealing a couple of million bucks from the district, only to continue to collect on his $175K a year pension!

Anyone on LI who doesn't vote for Steve Levy is a moron.

There are a lot of morons - not just in Long Island, either.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I'm serious about firing teachers and administrators. Sorry, but they are not the "untouchables". If they fail to make proper concessions, then they should be out. We can hire plenty of great teachers from the NY tri-state area who will do the job.

Other districts around the country have done it. We can do it too. Then we will see how the collective bargaining negotiations go next time
Remember PATCO ... Nobody is irreplaceable. Nobody.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 980 times
Elwood's school tax is going up 11%. Any one who doesn't have a child in the school system should vote it down!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 AM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
I just knew I would get screwed somehow.

My district has a tax increase slated for the upcoming budget, and no shocker, it's mostly due to salary/pension crap.
So, I'm looking at my assessment and how it dropped considerably for the next school tax year, and then this crap with the tax increase, which ends up negating my former potential tax savings on the lowered assessment. Nice.
You just can't win. Total scam and totally unfair system.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:45 AM

217 posts, read 255,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

That's the key - bust the union, makes the teachers and administrators accept cuts to their benefits and put caps on pay so the outlandish numbers that are thrown around don't occur.

It's a bit more difficult with the police, but another department needs to be formed, free and clear of the PBA. Force the NCPD and SCPD out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island