Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:38 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Without question on both accounts.

I dont think Im being too too heavy handed on the 3vGhettos OBH.
If 3v has a Baltic Ave....thats it (Just like Port Jeff has the RR area, Sound Beach has the Square and Rocky Point has Broadway).The years have not been kind (with the exception of the Rail Trail)and that area has definitely lost a step.
I just took my wife through to show her the hood and (For 3v)she was shocked by the foreclosures, rentals and mess.There are people trying but it got a ways to go.

The good news is per Dman, Arrowheads on the mend ( I did notice a little improvement too) which is good to hear since it borders WMHS and Arrowhead Elementary.That area was always a little nicer than the Critter section.Truth be told so are the PJS neighborhoods near by.

Bottom line its still 3v on the cheap.

If it were me Id take my Mid 3s to Babylon or shop Mt Sinai through SWR.

JMHO

Crooks
It's 3V on the cheap, and has been on a slow upswing for a number of years. Rome wasn't built in a day. It will never be like the rest of the 3V, but for someone looking for 3V on a budget...

The PJS neighborhoods (girl names) are a bit nicer, but they're slab homes like the Strathmore homes and several that I know of have had issues with runoff flooding the house. The district borderline snakes through there, so someone looking had better double and triple check the address with the school district.

Heading east the taxes need to be taken into consideration. Was it Miller Place that you mentioned (MIL?) who is being taxed through the nose? Also, SWR schools are having fiscal problems, if memory serves.

It would be helpful to know why the OP considered Setauket and Babylon, and what their commute situation is. The areas are so different (I like both BV and Setauket proper) that my curiosity is piqued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's 3V on the cheap, and has been on a slow upswing for a number of years. Rome wasn't built in a day. It will never be like the rest of the 3V, but for someone looking for 3V on a budget...

The PJS neighborhoods (girl names) are a bit nicer, but they're slab homes like the Strathmore homes and several that I know of have had issues with runoff flooding the house. The district borderline snakes through there, so someone looking had better double and triple check the address with the school district.

Heading east the taxes need to be taken into consideration. Was it Miller Place that you mentioned (MIL?) who is being taxed through the nose? Also, SWR schools are having fiscal problems, if memory serves.

It would be helpful to know why the OP considered Setauket and Babylon, and what their commute situation is. The areas are so different (I like both BV and Setauket proper) that my curiosity is piqued.
Taxes pretty much suck everywhere now.

You can get in to MP, RP and Mt Sinai schools cheaply( taxwise) too if you shop smart.SWR dues have some ??s

Some areas to consider Mt Sinai South of 25 a/MP South of 25a/RP Tides and Pickwick/SB in MP Schools/SWR South of 25a.
You can do well in all and they are all great (affordable)areas to live with good schools.

Im piqued too.It is an odd pairing.

Crooks

Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Haha, thanks everyone for making this decision 1000x harder

DH likes the North Shore, I like the North AND South Shore (I'm a south shore girl) so we both knew we'd end up on one of them.

DH commutes to Manhasset from Manorville currently. He doesn't mind an hour long commute if its the best for our family. He's in health care, so he always travels on the "off" hours and only 3x a week.

I have always wanted an area with a quaint Main Street. So Sayville, Port Jefferson, Babylon, etc. has always been in the running. I love Sayville and Babylon, they have been my target neighborhoods for years.

DH loves loves loves the North Shore. If he had his pick we'd end up on the north shore. 3V is an amazing school district, so we have been looking there primarily for our north shore picks. (I personally don't consider it "north shore" unless its north of 25a, but whatever). Miller Place and Mt sinai have been looked at, but we aren't finding any houses we love and we have been looking a long time.

The house in Babylon is south of Montauk. Beautiful area, we have driven through there several times.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post

DH likes the North Shore, I like the North AND South Shore (I'm a south shore girl) so we both knew we'd end up on one of them.

DH commutes to Manhasset from Manorville currently. He doesn't mind an hour long commute if its the best for our family. He's in health care, so he always travels on the "off" hours and only 3x a week.

I have always wanted an area with a quaint Main Street. So Sayville, Port Jefferson, Babylon, etc. has always been in the running. I love Sayville and Babylon, they have been my target neighborhoods for years.

DH loves loves loves the North Shore. If he had his pick we'd end up on the north shore. 3V is an amazing school district, so we have been looking there primarily for our north shore picks. (I personally don't consider it "north shore" unless its north of 25a, but whatever). Miller Place and Mt sinai have been looked at, but we aren't finding any houses we love and we have been looking a long time.

The house in Babylon is south of Montauk. Beautiful area, we have driven through there several times.
what is it about the "north shore" that he loves? Perhaps he can find some of whatever "it" is on the south shore.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:

From a commuting perspective, you might be best in Babylon, although off hours from Setauket isn't too bad.

The only strike I see in Babylon is 1 bathroom. A possible iffy thing might be homeowner's insurance seeing that south of Montauk = close to bay. One of the regulars here is on the south shore of western Suffolk, she could probably give you better insight into that.

Setauket gives you the 3V schools, but the Babylon location is nicer. If you're a beach person, Babylon is a plus.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what is it about the "north shore" that he loves? Perhaps he can find some of whatever "it" is on the south shore.
I'm from the south shore, hubby's north shore. He never found 'it' on the south shore.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm from the south shore, hubby's north shore. He never found 'it' on the south shore.
obviously "it" depends on the individual. Especially when talking in general
terms about an area as broad and diverse as the "north shore".

Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
He loves the winding roads and the hills. He said it just has a totally different "vibe" than the south shore.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
He loves the winding roads and the hills. He said it just has a totally different "vibe" than the south shore.
Your husband and mine share the same sentiment. I like those same things, as well as the abundance of trees and greenery and New England feel.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
understood. Is the home you're looking at among the winding roads and hills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island