Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 19,415 times

Advertisements

HI,I currently live in Va. After my husband gets out of the military. We are planning to move back to NY. He use to live in Queens. I use to live in Suffolk County. We want to live in between (Nassau). We have 1 son. so a good school is important. We are a middle class black family. I'm interested in Lakeview, Malverne, Baldwin, E. Bellmore, Rockville Centre, Roslyn and Lynbrook

Which one is more diverse, has good schools, clean neigborhood, just an over all good community. A run down of each town if possible. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 12:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
I would say Lakeview.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 PM

177 posts, read 893,202 times
Baldwin or Lynbrook.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 PM

40 posts, read 366,103 times
How about Glen Cove. Very diverese which I think makes living here great. Downside are the schools the elementary schools are fine but I know the high school's test scores were not great. We have the beach also and a lot of resturants. There is a spotlight on Glen Cove in this week's NY Times real estate section. I used to live in VA also (Fauquier County) and moved here about 15 years ago and I'm happy with it. I have family in the area same as you and that was the reason for moving back. Good Luck

Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort View Post
HI,I currently live in Va. After my husband gets out of the military. We are planning to move back to NY. He use to live in Queens. I use to live in Suffolk County. We want to live in between (Nassau). We have 1 son. so a good school is important. We are a middle class black family. I'm interested in Lakeview, Malverne, Baldwin, E. Bellmore, Rockville Centre, Roslyn and Lynbrook

Which one is more diverse, has good schools, clean neigborhood, just an over all good community. A run down of each town if possible. Thanks
Lakeview long time black middle class town goes to Malverne schools or West Hempstead schools
Malverne nearly all white most kids go to private schools unless they are in the valley stream north district
Baldwin used to be Jewish, now rapidly changing to black, especially Carribean Americans
Rockville Center mansions owned by whites, poor side of town is black
Roslyn rich white area with a pocket of blacks in around Roslyn High School
Lynbrook mostly white, although changing due to influx from Valley Stream and Baldwin.
I don't know anything about E. Bellmore, sorry

Old 08-27-2007, 01:54 PM

54 posts, read 225,202 times
Rockville center does has a side that is mostly black but that side goes to Malvern schools which I hear are pretty good. I think you should do your search by school district. Rockvile Center-RVC Schol district does have diversity not as much as Baldwin -but has an outstanding reputation. Baldwin and Lynbrook maintain good reputations as well. All the towns you mentioned are comfrtable but RVC schools have the most solid reputation-houses are pricey however.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:29 PM

222 posts, read 892,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort View Post

What is your price range, if you don't mind me asking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island