Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 30,412 times

Advertisements

We work in manhattan, and would like to live in Great Neck or Forest Hill. We prefer to live in some quiet place, want to escape from the city noise.

We are new here, can somebody kindly recommend some resources which we can find some independent house, town house or new apartment building? thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Forest Hills is a very nice area, but it has a definite city hustle going on, especially on Queens Blvd. You are more likely to find quiet in Great Neck.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
"Great Neck" can be geographically extremely confusing because Great Neck is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (6,022 acres) are not in the village (866 acres).

Places that have a "Great Neck, NY 11020 through 11024" mailing address that are not in the Village of Great Neck are in the Village of Great Neck Estates, the Hamlet of Great Neck Gardens, the Village of Great Neck Plaza, the Hamlet of Harbor Hills, the Village of Kensington, the Village of Kings Point, the Village of Lake Success, the Village of Russell Gardens, the Village of Saddle Rock, the Hamlet of Saddle Rock Estates, the Village of Thomaston and the Hamlet of University Gardens.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM

thanks a lot for the information?

is there any website we can search around besides craigslist?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 PM

166 posts, read 533,043 times
I would use redfin.com which also includes historical data from mlsli.com which is the mls listing for LI. I like redfin.com because they have a nice map feature and incorporate zillow.com and other websites into their search map that makes sorting through properties fun and specific.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:35 PM

hi jshlee:
redfin.com seems for buying a house, I donno if I am right or not. And we want to rent a house or apartment. can anybody recommend some useful website or company? thanks alot.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:59 PM

166 posts, read 533,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benyaya View Post
hi jshlee:
redfin.com seems for buying a house, I donno if I am right or not. And we want to rent a house or apartment. can anybody recommend some useful website or company? thanks alot.
Hummm, in that case, then use a broker. I know that most people in NYC don't like using one, but in Great Neck, there really isn't a portal site like craigslist.com where all the landlords are looking to post. You might need to drive into Great Neck and look up any postings people put up at high traffic areas like the LIRR station.

What I did when looking into renting into Great Neck / Manhasset / Port Washington was drive around the LIRR station and go into buildings that caught my attention and asked the front doorman if there were listings available. Worked well, when living in Manhattan. Not so well in Great Neck where there are alot more building apartments.

As for Forest Hills, I used newsday.com before. Not sure if they run it the same way since it was for free a few years ago and the website changed.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM

thanks.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 PM

23 posts, read 96,356 times
mlsli.com has a rental feature where you can search rental properties. You can give that a try

Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erawan View Post
mlsli.com has a rental feature where you can search rental properties. You can give that a try

Oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island