Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 9,758 times

Advertisements

From what I've been reading so far on this forum - it seems that it's not the ideal place. But than again - life isn't meant to be ideal either
So my question is for those who actually live or lived in the area.
My fiancée and I are looking to buy in this area, mainly around the high digits of Molloy street. Can anyone please tell me if this is a decent area to live in ?

I appreciate all the answers
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
In case you were not aware, a place can have a "Copiague, NY 11726" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Copiague and a place can have other than a "Copiague, NY 11726" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Copiague: places that have a "Copiague, NY 11726" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Copiague are in the Hamlet of North Amityville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Copiague with an "Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:59 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
It's not horribly awful, but the areas around Great Neck Road up in that area are not very nice. Personally, I wouldn't move there. There are a lot of people with barred windows and gated doors. The further South you go in Copiague, the nicer it is.

I wouldn't necessarily consider it extremely dangerous or anything, though. Take a drive up Great Neck Road on a weekend day, and at night, and see if you are comfortable.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 9,758 times
Thanks a lot guys.
Here is what I found from the link Walter gave me:
County Subdivision: Babylon Town
School District, Unified: Copiague Union Free School District

How does the above sound?
(Sorry, I don't know much about LI).
We drove a few blocks around the property this past Sunday and it looked ok to us (not seen any barred windows and gated doors). We will definitely drive thru tonight to get a better feel.
Any other info/tips are greatly appreciated.

Joe

Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenick View Post
Thanks a lot guys.
Here is what I found from the link Walter gave me:
County Subdivision: Babylon Town
School District, Unified: Copiague Union Free School District

How does the above sound?
(Sorry, I don't know much about LI).
We drove a few blocks around the property this past Sunday and it looked ok to us (not seen any barred windows and gated doors). We will definitely drive thru tonight to get a better feel.
Any other info/tips are greatly appreciated.

Joe
You might also want to drive around during the week when school let's out and see how the kids behave. Also, a Friday or Saturday night would be better than a Sunday night IMHO

Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
Joe-
A guy here in Copiague has started a weekly newspaper, it's The Copiague Weekly and it can be read on-line by going to Copiagueweekly.com.
It won't tell you everything that you want to know but it will be helpful if you are serious about your desire to relocate here.

Molloy St. is over by the church, you can see it all on google earth, a complete view of the area. copiague has a diverse and multi ethnic population,
primarily mid-level Americans, Polish, Hispanic and black. There are pocketed areas where the ethnic balance leans toward one group more than others
but there really isn't too many streets which you can't walk down at night.

We're close to major shopping, have our own train station, county cops and great firefighters. There is a 7-11, a Wendy's and between Mama's, Albert's
and Dominick's, we have the best pizza on the south shore. Great Neck road is the main drag, it runs from Merrick Rd. into Rt. 110 up in Farmingdale. It is
still a fairly quiet town but I believe there isn't enough housing. The school system is reasonably high rated and the teachers and staff are great. There
are probably more Hispanic and Black students than white but racial harmony exists nicely between the three major segments.

I don't know where you are living now but I have lived here for 36 years now, raised kids and grandkids here and never had regrets until now and that
regret is that the many businesses that once supported our population base, the manufacturers, the corporations and the defense industry, our families
have no jobs. This is the same story as there is in many places today, it's everywhere. But if I had to be anywhere, it'd be here in this comfortable
old, one-horse town, Copiague, NY.

I hope that this will help you to decide-

Eddie

Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Great Neck road is the main drag, it runs from Merrick Rd. into Rt. 110 up in Farmingdale.
Make that Rt. 110 up in East Farmingdale.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Default A map of the Hamlet of Copiague in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County

A map of the Hamlet of Copiague in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Copiague has a different border than does the "Copiague, NY 11726" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Copiague, NY 11726" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Copiague and a place can have other than a "Copiague, NY 11726" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Copiague): places that have a "Copiague, NY 11726" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Copiague are in the Hamlet of North Amityville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Copiague with an "Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
<Make that Rt. 110 up in East Farmingdale.>

OMG! How really stupid of me but I'm glad that you were here Walt, just to point that out! Actually,
it really doesn't matter because so many others have knocked Copiague so bad, that poor Joenick has decided to settle elsewhere.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Eddie, get used to it. Any town on LI that is more than 5% non-white is considered a "dangerous" and "undesirable" town. I saw a couple of posts that "warned" people about living in a certain Half Hollow Hills SD because many of its students live in Wheatley Heights. BTW, there is a pizza store in Copiague that is considered Top 10 on Long Island. It's unique because it makes the cheese on the bottom, sauce on the top. It's located near the rail station. Do you know the name of the place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island