Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 18,500 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone through the process of getting a certificate of completion (or variance---depending on the town) for a dormer and bathroom that were added to the second floor? I'm thinking of purchasing a house and the seller doesn't want to provide one. I know this isn't ideal, but the purchase price has been discounted significantly to make this tempting.

The house in question is in West Hempstead. We spoke to the Town about it and don't think it's too onerous. Just not sure how much it would cost for an architect to draw up the plans. If anyone has done it before, can you give an estimate of the costs involved?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Are you going through a bank to purchase the house? Generally a bank will require a certificate of completion as a condition to close. My house had a rear dormer when we bought it and a few years later we blew out the front so what was once a cape with a rear dormer is now a colonial. I believe the architect fee was $2,000 to draw up the plans that had to be submitted to the town. Then there are fees for the permit, electrical inspection, plumbing inspection, etc. It would be better for you if the current owner did all of this and like I said before, it may even be required if you're going through a bank. I believe you could possibly close without this paperwork if it's an all cash purchase.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:35 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Don't do it. Worst case....you have to tear down the dormer......they did not discount it that much. There are many other homes for sale. Why wouldn't the owner get it? ost likely they are hiding a major issue.

Variance is not the same as a CC or CO. Did the footprint of the original house change?

Suffolk or Nassau? What Town?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 18,500 times
The footprint of the house hasn't changed. They added a small addition (not sure if it's technically a dormer) to install a bathroom on the 2nd floor where there wasn't one originally. It is directly over the first floor bathroom.

We spoke to the Town (Hempstead) and they said we'd have to apply for a "permit to maintain" --- that it would not have to be removed, but maybe brought up to code. We plan on redoing the roof and the bath eventually, so we think that we could take care of any code violations (if they exist) then. We already had an engineer's inspection and there were no red flags. Plumbing is in working order, no leaks, etc so we don't think we'd necessarily need to go down to the studs and re-do. Maybe just update a few features.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
I sent you a PM on this matter. I hope it helps you in whatever decision you decide regarding the house.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lihousing View Post
Has anyone gone through the process of getting a certificate of completion (or variance---depending on the town) for a dormer and bathroom that were added to the second floor? I'm thinking of purchasing a house and the seller doesn't want to provide one. I know this isn't ideal, but the purchase price has been discounted significantly to make this tempting.

The house in question is in West Hempstead. We spoke to the Town about it and don't think it's too onerous. Just not sure how much it would cost for an architect to draw up the plans. If anyone has done it before, can you give an estimate of the costs involved?

Thanks!
My advice FWIW would be to press the seller in to getting the proper CO expedited. A seller not willing to get a CO would make me concerned that their not disclosing something about the construction. If time is their issue, have them escrow a sizeable sum until they get the proper sign-offs.

If you're convined this is the right house for you and you want to move forward without a CO, I'd add in worst case cost assumptions to completely rebuild the space and double it, then add that to the price of the house, if you still believe it's under market go for it.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
It will be a couple of grand for the drawings. It will have to be brought up to today's codes. There are front and side clearances for the toilet. You will have to get an NYSFU certificate for the wiring and punch some holes in the walls.

Burb is on the right track plus the taxes will go up.

I would still have them do it or pass on the house.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM

465 posts, read 1,710,334 times
You also may need an updated survey to get CO. If anything else has changed on the property: additions, sheds, decks, etc that are unknownst to the town or if walls, fence, sheds etc don't have proper setbacks, be prepared to rectify the issues at your cost.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 41,979 times
Default Dormers

You're better off buying a 1 story home, or a cape- and doing work yourself. A great way to go is to make a mother/daughter, if your having family moving in with you, you can get a permit and make it a legal 2 family. Go here: Brookline Builders - Home

Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 11,295 times
Hello I about to get estimates on a full dormer with five bedroom , and one bathroom and a/c etc does any have any good contractors and pricest thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island