Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times

Advertisements

I alo lived on a busy street growing up.

Another concern is if any of your pets escape the house, they really don't have a chance on a busy road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'd never buy a corner house. There's a corner house around the block from me that's been up for sale since last August. The price has been reduced three times already. I think they're getting desperate. Various little improvements keep getting made to the exterior of the house and there's also a 'Lease to Own' sign under the 'For Sale' sign. I'd find another house if I were you. It has to be awful to need to sell fast and not get any offers for months on end.
depends on the layout of the neighborhood. Where I grew up, the corner plots were the biggest in the neighborhood and therefore the most desirable....and they weren't even close to any busy roads.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
depends on the layout of the neighborhood. Where I grew up, the corner plots were the biggest in the neighborhood and therefore the most desirable....and they weren't even close to any busy roads.
The only corner lots I've seen may be large but the majority of the property is on the sides of the house. The backyards are tiny and virtually non-existent. A corner house a few blocks from me literally backs up to within a few feet from the fence. Maybe I'd consider a corner house if it had a decent-sized backyard and wasn't on a busy street but I've yet to see that combination where I live (or am moving to). Also, if there are sidewalks, it's twice the shoveling (well here in NY anyway; hopefully I won't need a snow shovel where I'm moving to).

Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
The only corner lots I've seen may be large but the majority of the property is on the sides of the house. The backyards are tiny and virtually non-existent. A corner house a few blocks from me literally backs up to within a few feet from the fence. Maybe I'd consider a corner house if it had a decent-sized backyard and wasn't on a busy street but I've yet to see that combination where I live (or am moving to).
we had the same back yard as everyone else and the big side yard.
Believe it or not, there are different types of layouts beyond what you've seen.

Quote:
Also, if there are sidewalks, it's twice the shoveling (well here in NY anyway; hopefully I won't need a snow shovel where I'm moving to).
the 5-6 times a year you'd have to shovel (or snow blow) that extra sidewalk is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I have experience with both, in a way. Not really busy streets, but I'll explain...

-Just a year ago I moved from an apartment in Astoria in Queens, where I lived for a couple years. It was a side street just 3 buildings away from Ditmars Blvd; a main road in the area. I hardly ever heard the cars from there, but my side road was often a detour for trucks. I lived in a semi-basement, so I heard the trucks all the time. I learned to get used to it after a while, but it really was annoying having trucks drive through the street every freakin 2 minutes.

-Less than a year ago my husband and I bought our house in Nassau, which is across the street from an elementary. The front entrance is in front of our house, but the entrance is on the side. So for that reason, we hardly ever hear anything. The only thing that's annoying is how busy the street gets for arrival and dismissal. For that reason, I couldn't imagine living on a busy road, since it's annoying to me with it just being about a half hour out of the day. I couldn't imagine it being almost all day long. But it isn't a big deal being across the street from a school. We still love the area.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,930 times
Quote:
we had the same back yard as everyone else and the big side yard.
Believe it or not, there are different types of layouts beyond what you've seen.
I'm just curious - what areas are you referring to? I'm wondering if this is the case more in Suffolk County. I don't know what neighborhood layouts are like there at all. I grew up in Queens and lived in Nassau County for the past 11 years.

Quote:
the 5-6 times a year you'd have to shovel (or snow blow) that extra sidewalk is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Since even shoveling once is too much for me, any more than that is a major pain - LOL!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
The only corner lots I've seen may be large but the majority of the property is on the sides of the house. The backyards are tiny and virtually non-existent. A corner house a few blocks from me literally backs up to within a few feet from the fence. Maybe I'd consider a corner house if it had a decent-sized backyard and wasn't on a busy street but I've yet to see that combination where I live (or am moving to). Also, if there are sidewalks, it's twice the shoveling (well here in NY anyway; hopefully I won't need a snow shovel where I'm moving to).

Another problem with a corner house is setbacks. Should the owner ever wish to add onto their home, they are subject to setback restrictions from the road on both sides. This limits their options if they wanted to extend the house. Also because some corner houses are situated closer to the rear lot lines, that can also limit just how far out they can build without losing usable back yard space.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 AM

66 posts, read 230,184 times
I just bought a house on a double yellow. The house is on an acre and about ~120ft from the road up on a hill... I dont really hear much noise. The speed limit is only 35mph, so people arent going that fast and trucks dont really go down the street, just cars. Between my house and garage is a turn around so I can go forward into my drive way and turn around and the top and go down my driveway forward as well... makes it easier.
I grew up one block from the LIRR so I am used to noise. I could see it being worse if I lived on a double yellow with 20-40ft of front yard. That could get annoying.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,589 times
We live on a double yellow lined road and if I had to do it over...I wouldn't. While the road isn't heavily travelled, when the cars come, they come FAST! At night, no matter how fresh the air is outside, the windows have to be closed b/c the roar of the engine is enough to drown out a television and/or wake you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island