Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:51 PM

302 posts, read 590,817 times

Advertisements

http://www.lischooltax.com/1010PTRC.pdf

Take a look at the proposed 2010-2011 school budgets along with possible tax levy changes if the budgets are passed. It's interesting the enrollment is decreasing for most of the schools yet the budget/tax levy still keeps on increasing. Also, brentwood, despite the decrease in budget, will have an increase in tax levy of 6.4%! Guess that decrease isn't enough; probably a cover to get the budget passed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 PM

577 posts, read 979,601 times
VOTE NO on Tuesday May 18!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 AM

213 posts, read 703,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
http://www.lischooltax.com/1010PTRC.pdf

Take a look at the proposed 2010-2011 school budgets along with possible tax levy changes if the budgets are passed. It's interesting the enrollment is decreasing for most of the schools yet the budget/tax levy still keeps on increasing. Also, brentwood, despite the decrease in budget, will have an increase in tax levy of 6.4%! Guess that decrease isn't enough; probably a cover to get the budget passed...
The reason Brentwood has an increase in the tax levy despite a spending decrease is b/c it is a low income district that gets probably 80% of it's revenue from the state and the state is cutting aid to districts between 8 an 13%.

Please know what the hell you are talking about before posting. Got a problem with Brentwoods budget call Paterson!!

Alittle information is a dangerous thing.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 AM

36 posts, read 104,830 times
Most of those increases look pretty reasonable

Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Can someone explain where to look for the increase in the expenditure details in the budget ?
If the general public is not getting a raise then why do people connected with the schooling system get one ?
It just feels wrong to me that this is happening out of line with the general economic picture in the nation.
I would say please cut the programs if thats what it takes. I am voting a NO !

Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM

294 posts, read 879,342 times
Please research your school districts budget, in detail, before deciding whether to vote "yes" or "no". My district is calling for a 3.4% increase. However, if voted down, the contingency calls for us to lose EVERYTHING. All activities, all clubs, all sports, all enrichment, all gifted, EVERYTHING!! And to ever have a chance at getting it back (which would likely never happen) it would be a tax increase, down the road, of over 20%

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
Please research your school districts budget, in detail, before deciding whether to vote "yes" or "no". My district is calling for a 3.4% increase. However, if voted down, the contingency calls for us to lose EVERYTHING. All activities, all clubs, all sports, all enrichment, all gifted, EVERYTHING!! And to ever have a chance at getting it back (which would likely never happen) it would be a tax increase, down the road, of over 20%
Can you explain where is this increase going ? Looks like you did look at the budget in detail, I just wanted to know if you have the specifics of the breakdown of the increase.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,762,800 times
Along with school budgets you will be voting on school board trustees. Research the candidates carefully, as they will influence the direction that your district will take in the future.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 AM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times
Those numbers are RIDICULOUS. Divide the budget by the number of students enrolled. The figures per student are astronomical. Great Neck is paying 30,000 per enrolled student to run their district.

This is borderline criminal. When are the taxpayers on LI going to wake up and realize this is a scam being perpetrated on them?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
If these activities are extra circular, why are they being paid for out of taxpayers money. cant the parents pay something for them if their children are involved in sports, music etc.

Or maybe have a $25 fee per child per registration and have that $25 go only to the school that the child attends?? Yes, i know that we pay our property taxes for the schools, and people are going to say why should we pay more. But then the seniors and those that do not have children arent going to be paying the increase and those who will benefit will pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island