Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,693 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know it's a morbid question and something none of like to focus on, but I am experiencing a family member with a terminal illness. I have googled and searched and am getting a general idea - but the main thing that keeps coming up is not to make major decisions during a highly emotional time.

Since this is such a part of life, I was wondering if any of the posters on this site could give me an idea of the costs involved in a full funeral and burial service - specifically at St. Charles in Farmingdale.

This really is much appreciated. My hands are trembling as I type this. I think it is such a hard subject to address. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
I can only tell you of my experience. The last three funerals I planned cost from $8,000 to $11,000. The $8,000 was for a two day viewing with cremation afterward and internment in a family plot. Two funerals cost me approx $11,000 and those two also were buried in family plots.

Average funeral probably is going for $10,000 (give or take..depends on casket price ). Cost of the grave is additional.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,914 times
I know how hard it is to lose a loved one but I've never had to make funeral arrangements for anyone yet. I hope things work out as best as they possibly can given the circumstances.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Cokatie...you may want to visit a funeral home and discuss making a pre-arrangement. I did it for my uncle who was in a nursing home. It makes it a lot easier when their time comes.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,661 times
You can lower the costs by not selecting a high end copper clad casket. You'd be surprised what they try to sell you in a "kind and compassionate" funeral home.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Cokatie...you may want to visit a funeral home and discuss making a pre-arrangement. I did it for my uncle who was in a nursing home. It makes it a lot easier when their time comes.
The Irish in me forebodes that (silly supersistions!). Gpsma, thanks so much for the information on the funeral costs. I had NO idea that that price would not include the burial plot. Can you give an estimate on that if you are comfortable? I would rather bite the bullet on this when the time comes and look for a plot that could accomodate four people.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 AM

I have no idea what a grave plot costs because I never had to purchase one for the relatives I buried. The plots were either at National Cemetaries (which are free for vets) or had been purchased years earlier.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,414 times
It cost my parents almost 20k to bury my brother. Two day viewing, church, I know they spent much more than they had to on the casket and they bought two plots.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,615 times
Both of my parents went in '04 - both funerals at A. L. Jacobsen's in Huntington Station (that's what they wanted). The funeral for my dad lasted 2 days including a fireman's service the night before the actual funeral - it came to roughly $11,000. My mom's was one day, and that one was actually higher in cost (something to do with the cemetary) -around $12,000. They bought their burial plots way before 2004 and they never told me what they cost.

Jacobsen's is non-denominational and will let you hold whatever kind of service you want; just general info, I know you have a church selected in Farmingdale.

Any chance your relative actually bought a plot for themselves? It's amazing what people forget to tell you -

Good luck with everything. It's an awful time for you filled with pressure, stress, and sadness. Maybe when the time comes you ought to buy a little book called Grief Therapy by Karen Katafiasz from Abbey Press - it's very short and to the point. Eventually everything will get back to "normal" even though at this point in time it doesn't feel that way.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 AM

They use to, AndreaII, at Calvary in Queens - but due to a family emergency in the 80's, they gave the plot away to the family member's wife.

Thanks so much to all of you for the good information. I was trying to establish a baseline so that I can ensure the money is there when it becomes necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island