Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:13 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,542 times

Advertisements

Miller Place is nice but 2 things to watch out for: very high taxes, no full-day Kindergarden. Also, there is a big difference between north of 25A and south of 25A. I never much liked Miller Place south of 25A (with a few exceptions of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:26 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,545,928 times
Nice town.....all most moved there 15 years ago.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:46 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,478 times
Hi Curly Girl - I saw your post on the Westchester board too. Just wanted to let you know that I think MP does not have "gifted" education. Advanced classes is math, science and reading may start in 7th grade. You may want to go on the MP school web site to check this. We live in Mt. Sinai and there are no gifted classes. Honors classes begin in 7th grade. Depends on who your children are as to whether this will work for you. We moved here recently so my kids entered the district a bit older. My older two already had the "gifted" ed in our other district and by the time they got here the upper level classes they were offered were fine. Just FYI to you. Good luck on your move!!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygirl! View Post
Thanks -- love an informed opinion!
There is a difference between an informed decision and a BIASED opinion. Rocky Point doesn't hold a candle to Miller Place.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:40 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Most people do Ronkonkoma but Port Jeff is closest.

You will get more buying power in Sound Beach(MP Schools) or Rocky Point.

I do love Miller Place ...great town.

Crooks
Most people go to Ronkonkoma only because they have more trains running and more times available. PJS doesn't have as many.

OP, go to MTA Long Island Rail Road and check out the schedules. See if your commute will be from Miller Place to PJS or to Ronkonkoma.

I do agree though that Miller Place is a good place.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Miller Place is nice but 2 things to watch out for: very high taxes, no full-day Kindergarden. Also, there is a big difference between north of 25A and south of 25A. I never much liked Miller Place south of 25A (with a few exceptions of course).
Yea ...ones just nice and the others effing beautiful.

MP south is fine and theres some great buys to be had.

Crooks

Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
There is a difference between an informed decision and a BIASED opinion. Rocky Point doesn't hold a candle to Miller Place.
Bruce,

I prefer Miller Place in many respects too, just not the taxes.

I disagree with you. Western Rocky Point (Tides, Oak Hills, Pickwick, Terraces) are all very similar to many areas in Miller Place.Just like Sound Beach/Miller Place is very similar to North Shore Beach/ Rocky Point.The areas all share common histories and development.Im out here a while now,and I do happen to know my area fairly well.

Youre welcome to your opinion as I am to mine, but theres no bias here.
Miller Place is a great town and I happen to feel the same way about Rocky Point.

Listen, you can weigh in on the next Centereach thread, I promise I wont fight you for it.

Respectfully,

Crooks

Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 AM

149 posts, read 345,609 times
Default Im in the same boat !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygirl! View Post
found an awesome house...but I can't tell from you guys whether it's a good neighborhood with a good school district, or a town on decline.

What's the vote -- yay or nay???
Funny b/c I am also looking in that area ! I have a friend who lives there, she loves it ! but her taxes are 15k !!! The down falls I feel are : 1/2 day kindergarten and you do not have a choice on am or pm, no UPK, no special services (speech, ot, pt) unless you fight tooth & nail for them and still there is no guarantee and the taxes are so high !!!! I am also considering shoreham/wading river but the taxes and the schools really need alot of updating and I do not think they have the money for it. Rocky point is looking real promising to me...they have full day kindergarten, UPK, from what i hear they have tons of programs to offer. Mt Sinai is also nice. Can you see that I am totally undecided LOL but leaning towards RP. The only down fall (no pun intended) is it's very hilly in areas and I have 4 young children and I really want a piece of property we can utilize. I will be following this thread to get more info ! good luck and we just may be neighbors one day

Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
Please ignore Bruce..he is at loggerheads with Crooks and doesn't approve of Rocky Point. As an indifferent observer...I live in Axe Body Spray Country...I can say, with no hesitation, that MP and RP are fine areas and I wouldn't hesitate to move there. Of course, I still prefer the Axe Body Spray Zone of Long Island....after all, we do have All American Burger.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Please ignore Bruce..he is at loggerheads with Crooks and doesn't approve of Rocky Point. As an indifferent observer...I live in Axe Body Spray Country...I can say, with no hesitation, that MP and RP are fine areas and I wouldn't hesitate to move there. Of course, I still prefer the Axe Body Spray Zone of Long Island....after all, we do have All American Burger.

Sure. Bring up All American right after I had a salad for lunch.

Life is so UNfair! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island