Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 11:01 AM

84 posts, read 492,909 times

Advertisements

I'm with you Mikeykid! Yes, we are another LI family planning a move to Union County, NC. We have a beautiful house here and I have lived here my whole life. But, as our real estate taxes are nearing 13K at this point, we are constantly asking the question "What are we doing here?" (and not just b/c of the taxes, but a whole variety of reasons). It's just ridiculous.

I understand people wanting to defend LI, but to us, there is no defense. Yes, we have friends and family who think we are nuts, that the schools are not comparable, we will miss the city, etc. I just laugh because we know that we know better and they are sad to see us go. Most people that make the decision to leave LI do not do it blindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 11:23 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,477,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Sell the Vette....buy the house or go Tarheel.

If this is just occuring to you now perhaps you should've bought a honda years ago and saved like the rest of us.

All kidding aside, Ive been where you are. The pain is in sitting on the fence not hopping over it.

That postage stamp you described may be your ticket to the American Dream.I know it was for us.
I love my schools and having my family nearby and being near the beach, city etc.

Good luck in whatever you decide...but decide.

Crooks

Haha... Vette was paid off with OT, have been for 5 years. Why sell it?

BTW, I own a home already, on a shy half acre property, and we paid less then all those houses even after we remodeled and upgraded. Like I said, the prices don't make sense.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 PM

306 posts, read 690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post
I'm with you Mikeykid! Yes, we are another LI family planning a move to Union County, NC. We have a beautiful house here and I have lived here my whole life. But, as our real estate taxes are nearing 13K at this point, we are constantly asking the question "What are we doing here?" (and not just b/c of the taxes, but a whole variety of reasons). It's just ridiculous.

I understand people wanting to defend LI, but to us, there is no defense. Yes, we have friends and family who think we are nuts, that the schools are not comparable, we will miss the city, etc. I just laugh because we know that we know better and they are sad to see us go. Most people that make the decision to leave LI do not do it blindly.
I have been where you are at. Grew up on LI and had my whole family think I was nuts for wanting to move my husband and kids to South Carolina. Heck, my husband himself thought I was nuts when I first suggested it. Well, we have been down in SC for almost 2 years now and my husband Thanks me all the time for convincing him to move. My mother-in-law, who was the biggest skeptic, was the one looking at houses and property when she finally came for a visit. I have not regretted my move for 1 second, but then SC or NC is not for everyone. Let those who want to bust their butts to pay the highest taxes in the nation, do just that. I will take the quality of life I have found here any day over my “old beloved LI.”

Old 05-30-2010, 01:25 PM

939 posts, read 2,682,841 times
So true! My wife & I left LI 6 years ago & came to Traverse City, MI. We both have great careers, own a beatiful home, and have a quality of life we could never have on LI. Our family members thought we were nuts but, like many LI'ers, they are not familiar with what is beyond the bridges & tunnels and are skeptical about anywhere other than LI. We miss the food & family but nothing else. We have cold, snowy winters and the nicest summer weather in the lower 48 IMO. This is the view today off the dock on our subdivision beach looking out into West Grand Traverse Bay. I wouldn't trade it for anything. To each his own but the thought of ever moving back to LI never crosses our minds anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbad View Post
I have been where you are at. Grew up on LI and had my whole family think I was nuts for wanting to move my husband and kids to South Carolina. Heck, my husband himself thought I was nuts when I first suggested it. Well, we have been down in SC for almost 2 years now and my husband Thanks me all the time for convincing him to move. My mother-in-law, who was the biggest skeptic, was the one looking at houses and property when she finally came for a visit. I have not regretted my move for 1 second, but then SC or NC is not for everyone. Let those who want to bust their butts to pay the highest taxes in the nation, do just that. I will take the quality of life I have found here any day over my “old beloved LI.â€

Old 05-30-2010, 01:34 PM

306 posts, read 690,207 times
Looks like you've got it rough! Almost as rough as me......4 bedroom house that's almost 3000 sq. ft. and only 5 years old, with less than $1000. in taxes ....yes....that's a year for all of you suckers on LI still paying over 10,000+. I won't even mention that my house is paid off and that our schools here are just as good if not better.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:43 PM

280 posts, read 247,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
And the racism. Ye gods, the racism.
Maybe you hang out with racists or they are in your circle, but not mine. Just because you hang out with racists doesn't mean long island is full of them.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbad View Post
Looks like you've got it rough! Almost as rough as me......4 bedroom house that's almost 3000 sq. ft. and only 5 years old, with less than $1000. in taxes ....yes....that's a year for all of you suckers on LI still paying over 10,000+. I won't even mention that my house is paid off and that our schools here are just as good if not better.
Yea, but you're in SC. I'd rather pay $20k in taxes on LI than live tax free in SC. How's dem grits?

Old 05-30-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post

The funny thing is, the civil servant defenders will defend their pay yet complain about the property taxes.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,182,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Yea, but you're in SC. I'd rather pay $20k in taxes on LI than live tax free in SC. How's dem grits?

bwahahahhahahahhahh

Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,182,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
So true! My wife & I left LI 6 years ago & came to Traverse City, MI. We both have great careers, own a beatiful home, and have a quality of life we could never have on LI. Our family members thought we were nuts but, like many LI'ers, they are not familiar with what is beyond the bridges & tunnels and are skeptical about anywhere other than LI. We miss the food & family but nothing else. We have cold, snowy winters and the nicest summer weather in the lower 48 IMO. This is the view today off the dock on our subdivision beach looking out into West Grand Traverse Bay. I wouldn't trade it for anything. To each his own but the thought of ever moving back to LI never crosses our minds anymore
Michigan....bitchin'

I hear theres opportunities abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island