Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,872 times

Advertisements

I was laid off in August & started working in March, I took a job I was overqualified for & for much less money, (I'm a paralegal & the job was customer service). It turns out I was bringing in more money when I was on unemployment.

Does anyone know if I could reinstate unemployment benefits after quitting a job I was overqualified for? It was a $10,000 cut (from $37K to $27K).

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
I was just looking up some stuff on unemployment for my mom...good timing.

Here is what the unemployment website says about eligibility...

You may be denied benefits if:

* You were fired because your employer alleged that you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination; because of a disagreement or dispute with a boss or co-worker; or you were fired for any other reason.
* You quit your job.
* You are unemployed because of a work stoppage in the last 49 days which was conducted in violation of an existing collective bargaining agreement in the establishment in which you were employed. It is not necessary that you are actually participating in the strike, but only that you are not working because of the strike in the facility in which you worked.

Note that it says "may" be denied benefits. I guess all you can do is file and see what they say.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 AM

510 posts, read 2,206,768 times
I dont think you are eligible for unemployment benefits. You can try going on facebook - the department of labor has a page on there and you can post a question - that is how I get all of my answers.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1mor View Post
I was laid off in August & started working in March, I took a job I was overqualified for & for much less money, (I'm a paralegal & the job was customer service). It turns out I was bringing in more money when I was on unemployment.

Does anyone know if I could reinstate unemployment benefits after quitting a job I was overqualified for? It was a $10,000 cut (from $37K to $27K).

Thanks for any input.
You have about a snowball's chance in Hades of collecting unemployment, and with good reason: No one owes you compensation for your own proactive career decisions just because they turn out to be bad for you financially. New York is an at-will state.

Next time, do the math first.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
You have about a snowball's chance in Hades of collecting unemployment, and with good reason: No one owes you compensation for your own proactive career decisions just because they turn out to be bad for you financially. New York is an at-will state.

Next time, do the math first.
Awesome answer

Old 06-01-2010, 04:56 AM

I am aware of the "snowball's chance in Hades" that's why I was asking

I also never indicated that I felt anyone owed me any compensation. As far as my "proactive career decisions", there are extenuating circumstances that I chose not to share, much more than just doing math.

I have never been on unemployment prior to this and therefore have no experience with it. This seemed like a good place to ask a question.

I do hope Avienne if you're ever curious about something you don't know much about, people give you the same courtesy you gave me.

Thank you Alexei27 & budsvtec for the helpful information, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM

68 posts, read 197,896 times
I recall reading that you can decline jobs that pay significantly less than what you were previously making. However, I think once you accept a job and start working, you can't quit just because unemployment is more. I don't think you'll be eligible to claim benefits.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r5020 View Post
I recall reading that you can decline jobs that pay significantly less than what you were previously making. However, I think once you accept a job and start working, you can't quit just because unemployment is more. I don't think you'll be eligible to claim benefits.
I'm pretty sure the above post is the right answer. To continue to collect unemployment benefits you don't have to accept a job if its under a certain pay level (either 80 or 85% of your previous salary, think 85%) however I think thats out the window if you happen to accept that job and then quit.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1mor View Post
I am aware of the "snowball's chance in Hades" that's why I was asking

I also never indicated that I felt anyone owed me any compensation. As far as my "proactive career decisions", there are extenuating circumstances that I chose not to share, much more than just doing math.

I have never been on unemployment prior to this and therefore have no experience with it. This seemed like a good place to ask a question.

I do hope Avienne if you're ever curious about something you don't know much about, people give you the same courtesy you gave me.

Thank you Alexei27 & budsvtec for the helpful information, it's greatly appreciated.
If I'm ever curious about something I don't know much about, I'll go to more reputable sources than strangers on the Internet.

For a question like this, you should be looking at employment law websites and the NY State unemployment website (http://tinyurl.com/339k8b2 - broken link).

Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 AM

I searched every sight, even called & didn't get a straight answer. Just wondering if anybody, even a stranger on the internet had any experience to share. Not betting my life on the answers I get, just inquiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island