Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

My son just graduated from High School. Their were 547 graduates in that class. Not sure if he knew them all, but I know that he hung out with fewer than a dozen people and had maybe 4 or 5 really good friends. Sure he would have had many of those 547 in classes during the past 4 years of High School but still how many of them did he really know?

Saying that, if one of them were to become the next it person in the industry would he even know them? In the Oxnard area alone we have 6 high school that all graduated similar numbers of students. Over 3,000 people in Oxnard alone graduated this tear and if one of them became known how would we even know that they were from our little city of 200,000?

Here is a question: If someone that you went to school with but chances are don't know that well became well known what does it matter to you? If someone that you know well becomes well known what does it matter to you? If a family member were to become well known would it even matter to you?

From my limited point of view, unless I am the one that is becoming well known then someone elses success doesn't seem to matter. It does nothing for me.

On the topic of your generations new stars. I know of one that seems to be doing well, Jadan Smith. He has been in some big movies and may even become a big star. Then again if it doesn't work out I am sure he will be fine. I hear his dad and mom are also doing just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My son just graduated from High School. Their were 547 graduates in that class. Not sure if he knew them all, but I know that he hung out with fewer than a dozen people and had maybe 4 or 5 really good friends. Sure he would have had many of those 547 in classes during the past 4 years of High School but still how many of them did he really know?
Well my sister graduated from a class of about 500. She still recognizes many random students from her graduating class just walking down the street in the city.

Quote:
Saying that, if one of them were to become the next it person in the industry would he even know them? In the Oxnard area alone we have 6 high school that all graduated similar numbers of students. Over 3,000 people in Oxnard alone graduated this tear and if one of them became known how would we even know that they were from our little city of 200,000?
I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my own perspective. Lol. I have lived in about 9 cities throughout my life. Not just one. So I'm saying the chance of one of my classmates becoming a celebrity from those schools from those cities is greater than the average person who lives in one city their whole life.

Quote:
Here is a question: If someone that you went to school with but chances are don't know that well became well known what does it matter to you? If someone that you know well becomes well known what does it matter to you? If a family member were to become well known would it even matter to you?
It matters to me mainly because it's kind of cool to see that some of my generation, some people I know, actually could make it into the industry successfully. There's so many discouraging stories of the hollywood dream, most LA natives make it seem it's damn to near impossible to become an actor/actress. If a family member became well known, OF COURSE it would matter to me. I could say I know them! And connections! Lol

Quote:
From my limited point of view, unless I am the one that is becoming well known then someone elses success doesn't seem to matter. It does nothing for me.
Your right. I totally agree. But I guess I am curious.

Quote:
On the topic of your generations new stars. I know of one that seems to be doing well, Jadan Smith. He has been in some big movies and may even become a big star. Then again if it doesn't work out I am sure he will be fine. I hear his dad and mom are also doing just fine.
I'm not sure who that is exactly. Is that Will Smith's son? If he is, well I can't stand him. I think his kids are becoming ever more cocky and conceited as time goes on and with every film they make. I think they are extremely spoiled brats and ungrateful for their success in the industry. They should be thanking their parents and God everyday that they have parents with successful careers and connections and that they were basically born into wealth and set for their entire lives. I cannot fathom how angry I feel when I see Hollywood kids cocky with themselves as if they are actually doing something. And let me not even mention how ridiculous I think their daughter looks nowadays. They let her do anything! Shaving off the sides of her head like an ancient Egyptian child and dressing in rock star attire at age 6 is just absolutely unacceptable. Another thing I don't understand about celebrities. Why they dress like $5 hookers and truck drivers with all the money they have. Ugh!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Huh?? What do you mean that Gen X actors are "disspating" from the industry? That is a crazy statement. Reese Witherspoon and many other 'hot" actors and actresses are part of Gen X and I don't see them going anywhere any time soon. I honestly don't see how anyone can view actors in their 30s as old and "fading away." Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep are at the top of their games and they are 50-60 years old. I agree, these younger actors and musicians (with the exception of a very few) can't compare to classic performers. Back in the day the actors and musicians actually had talent - now it is all about "sex sells." I'm still young but I don't even watch t.v. or many new movies now - I find most of it trashy.

And WHY would you care about "starting to see some of your classmates on screen?" Very strange post indeed.
Really? Are you sure about that? The plethora of Gen X actors I used to see on screen has dissipated by at least 30%!! I stopped seeing alot of them starting in 2007. The industry is slowing replacing them by a heavy rate with of newer younger actors/actresses. And FYI, Reese Witherspoon is an established actress who still looks 20. Of course she's going to be around. Not that I seen her around lately.

And I was just wondering if this is the decade that I will begin to see some of my classmates or graduating class on the screen. Most people know at least someone or someone who knows someone from their high school that went into the industry. I think it'd be cool to see some of them on screen.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
In some ways young millenials have an advantage. With youtube, twitter, myspace, etc.

Any fans of coolduder on youtube? He's pretty cool. He and MJ Kelly are mini internet celebs. Not like shane dawson (or charles trippy, internet killed television). But without the web, coolduder would be making movies in his basement, and no one would see them. If you have some kind of talent or appeal, the internet is a good vehicle to get that across.

Same with Brandon Hardesty. He got a movie role because of youtube.

To be fair to miley cyrus, jonas, bieber.....they aren't that different than, new kids on the block, the osmonds, or any teen idols before them. Talent, isn't really the #1 deciding factor. Its mostly timing and marketing strategy.

Remember when the "blondes" all hit in the middle to late 90's...

Britney Spears
Christina Augeliera
Mandy Moore (who wisely went brunette later on). And changed her entire image.

Remember Hoku? She was about 4th or 5th on the list. How many teen girl blondes can you like at one time. The ones that arent new or 1st to a category can fade away.

I think timing is much more important than talent for young performers.

-The other day I was watching a shia labeouf biography online. Don't underestimate drive and desire to make it.

When he was 13 or 15 auditioning for a tv show, he auditioned, then went back in line where other kids were waiting and told them the audition was over, the selection had already been made. Basically tried to seal it for himself.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
-The other day I was watching a shia labeouf biography online. Don't underestimate drive and desire to make it.

When he was 13 or 15 auditioning for a tv show, he auditioned, then went back in line where other kids were waiting and told them the audition was over, the selection had already been made. Basically tried to seal it for himself.
Well, he'd HAVE to resort to that kind of behavior, wouldn't he? The guy has no talent, and (albeit, based on the few things I've heard about him... this included) he's kind of a jerk.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Well, he'd HAVE to resort to that kind of behavior, wouldn't he? The guy has no talent, and (albeit, based on the few things I've heard about him... this included) he's kind of a jerk.
True. I heard that about him too.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:21 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

I'm not sure who that is exactly. Is that Will Smith's son? If he is, well I can't stand him. I think his kids are becoming ever more cocky and conceited as time goes on and with every film they make. I think they are extremely spoiled brats and ungrateful for their success in the industry. They should be thanking their parents and God everyday that they have parents with successful careers and connections and that they were basically born into wealth and set for their entire lives. I cannot fathom how angry I feel when I see Hollywood kids cocky with themselves as if they are actually doing something. And let me not even mention how ridiculous I think their daughter looks nowadays. They let her do anything! Shaving off the sides of her head like an ancient Egyptian child and dressing in rock star attire at age 6 is just absolutely unacceptable. Another thing I don't understand about celebrities. Why they dress like $5 hookers and truck drivers with all the money they have. Ugh!
I like Will Smith and his family. They are great people and they are greatfull for what they have. Will was at our hospital one day, (we let him use our helipad so he could fly in to see his son play football.) The guy is a class act, and from what I have read about his kids, so are they.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
True. I heard that about him too.
Here's the source of that story.

YouTube - Shia Labeouf - Biography (part 1)

YouTube - Shia Labeouf - Biography (part 2)

YouTube - Shia Labeouf - Biography (part 3)

Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Jadan smith will just be like his parents.....LOUD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles