Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:36 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times

Advertisements

The OP that Camden,NJ was a good city to move to End of story........haha.....Close this thread now , i got this in before the lock

Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 PM

97 posts, read 238,556 times
Ok. Question? Because Los Angeles is mostly hispanic, are these people natives of Los Angeles or illegal immigrants?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
all the above

Old 08-05-2010, 03:59 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davante View Post
Ok. Question? Because Los Angeles is mostly hispanic, are these people natives of Los Angeles or illegal immigrants?
Your question is kind of crazy. Are you serious?

LA is a big, diverse city with roots as a Spanish settlement and as a Mexican pueblo before becoming U.S. Territory. So there are LA residents of Hispanic heritage who got here a LONG time ago. Like perhaps before your ancestors? More recent arrivals include LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigrants.

The Mayor of LA is of Hispanic heritage and was born in the early 1950's in LA County...in other words an American citizen.

The list goes on and on...ever hear of Ritchie Valens? The famed rock and roll singer from the 1950's who died a tragic death in a plane crash with Buddy Holly. Ritchie Valenzuela (his real name) was another native son to LA with Hispanic roots.

Regardless, recent studies show the "foreign born" populaiton (including both LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigrants) of LA County peaked about 10 years ago and is slowly on the decline. Natural increase is our biggest population driver now.

Report: California

Old 08-05-2010, 04:07 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,469 times
Ok Davante. Just found this post from you in another thread and I quote:

"To me, there's nothing for me to hate about the Los Angeles area, but one thing; the homosexuality has to end. I know that that's a state issue, but L.A, being the biggest city in CA, that's where the change could start at."

Give it up...homosexuality has been around for ALL of human history. Hispanics have been in LA for its entire history. Just get over it already......

Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 AM

448 posts, read 1,605,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Ok Davante. Just found this post from you in another thread and I quote:

"To me, there's nothing for me to hate about the Los Angeles area, but one thing; the homosexuality has to end. I know that that's a state issue, but L.A, being the biggest city in CA, that's where the change could start at."

Give it up...homosexuality has been around for ALL of human history. Hispanics have been in LA for its entire history. Just get over it already......
Davante needs to stay in his stated location of Ohio. California nor LA wants you. Please leave our beloved forum alone too.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Why does it matter how many Mexicans are in an area? Why does it matter how many people of any race are in an area? In this day and age why would someone bring it up? Is your question leaning more toward illagal immigrants? Just because someone is Mexican or from some other country does not mean that they are illegal. For the most part they are not illegal. Imagine that? Yes the area has some illegal immigrants. We have a lot of them, comparatively speaking they are no where near the legal immigrants that live in the area. This is a beautiful place. Lots of opportunity here. People will do what they have to do to participate in that opportunity. You either move here or you don't. It is up to you. We don't seem to care either way.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why does it matter how many Mexicans are in an area? Why does it matter how many people of any race are in an area?
Simplistically, having lived in three "foreign" countries and visited in others, if I wished to be surrounded significantly by the people and cultures of, say, Mexico, Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, etc., I'd move to those countries.

Personally, I prefer that which is strictly American which means, to me, I have no problem with any cultures here from elsewhere (aren't almost all of us products of them) provided they assimilate. Seems simple enough to me.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Simplistically, having lived in three "foreign" countries and visited in others, if I wished to be surrounded significantly by the people and cultures of, say, Mexico, Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, etc., I'd move to those countries.

Personally, I prefer that which is strictly American which means, to me, I have no problem with any cultures here from elsewhere (aren't almost all of us products of them) provided they assimilate. Seems simple enough to me.
Then what's the metric of assimilation? Is it merely speaking English, even at home? What does it mean to assimilate? No one has ever provided a definition of what that is, or what its supposed to look like. It's kind of thrown out there, but no one can really tell me what it is.

I speak English fluently, but I can speak Tagalog, Spanish, Arabic, and German (learned it in school). Does this make me any less of an American? Most of my Mexican American friends speak English to each other (with some Spanish words thrown in sometimes, but 90% of it is in English).

I ask this as a serious question because I really want to know.

Or will this devolve into "looking' like an American. I always thought being an American was an idea. As long as you believe in America and have citizenship, you are an American.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Then what's the metric of assimilation? Is it merely speaking English, even at home? What does it mean to assimilate? No one has ever provided a definition of what that is, or what its supposed to look like. It's kind of thrown out there, but no one can really tell me what it is.

I speak English fluently, but I can speak Tagalog, Spanish, Arabic, and German (learned it in school). Does this make me any less of an American? Most of my Mexican American friends speak English to each other (with some Spanish words thrown in sometimes, but 90% of it is in English).

I ask this as a serious question because I really want to know.

Or will this devolve into "looking' like an American. I always thought being an American was an idea. As long as you believe in America and have citizenship, you are an American.
Oh, hell no! There ain't no "American look" anymore and it would be a real shame if people whose origins are elsewhere gave up their languages and cultures in their entireties. French was my family's second language and because of living in those countries, I learned to speak passable Mandarin Chinese, Japanese and Korean (Hangul). To me, assimilation will occur when there are no more hyphenated Americans and the various races and cultures stop self-segregating, includiong caucasians.

I recognize that I'll be long expired before, if ever, that occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles