Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:30 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,094 times

Advertisements

I've only been there once and I was 14 or so, but it seems that LA gets a real bum rap. I mean i've met people who have loved it, but they always move out saying they cant afford to live there. I have had people literally refer to it as a hell on Earth. What is it about LA that causes this reputation? Just so everyone knows im not trying to diss LA or say its bad.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:39 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Because society needs its boogeyman to blame for its ills, something that represents everything that's wrong with the way things are so they can behave as if they're removed from it. If only those people would get out of their cars...! If only those people would stop watching TV...! If only those people would stop being so materialistic...! If only those people would start appreciating how much better I am...!

New York City was the big nihilistic creature early last century. Who knows in a hundred years. Maybe when we start really feeling threatened by technology it'll be Silicon Valley's turn.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
A massive sprawling megalopolis isn't for everyone.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I think as many people love LA as hate it, but especially on the general C-D forums there seem to be more people who somehow take any appreciation of LA as a personal attack on their favorite city. LA is also a very different sort of city than what you find on the east coast or in the Midwest, and some people just haven't figured out how to appreciate it. Add to the mix the fact that lots of people who either haven't been to LA or who have only come in for a brief visit hitting only the prime tourist spots, who think they know all about LA because they're read about movie stars or see the city featured in movies. Someone posted something recently about LA being a tough city for visitors to understand; I think that's very true. It's a huge place, very diverse, with a lot of extremes. It doesn't feel like a city in the way that Manhattan does, but it also certainly doesn't feel like the suburb that so many non-Angelenos think that it is. I suppose maybe the traditional suburbanites don't like it because it's not really suburban, and some of the east coast city lovers don't like it because it's not like the traditional central city core NYC-style city (although it seems many of them don't even give the city a chance, but assume the worst based on preconceived notions). I love LA, but do think that you have to take it for what it is, and not try to directly compare it with other cities. There are positives and negatives to LA, of course, but that can be said of any place. And like Bunjee pointed out, it makes a nice boogeyman for outsiders, who can selectively pick and choose whatever elements they want (because LA offers almost everything) to hold it up as an example of what's wrong with America.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Some love L.A., some hate it. The haters have a variety of reasons including (1) high cost of living, (2) massive traffic, (3) large undocumented immigrant population, (4) crazy state government, tax and spend, (5) concern about earthquakes, and I'm sure many more reasons. There are many reasons to like L.A. too, which others can elaborate.

Actually my real reason that I want to leave is because I'm tired of people calling my state "Cali."

Old 04-25-2009, 03:10 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
I lived there for 4 years. Couldn't wait to move away. It's for some people, but not for me.

For me, the "sprawling megalopolis" was the main reason for my move.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:48 PM

32 posts, read 125,189 times
I love LA but people outside of southern california dont lik the west coast they hav a midwest or eastcoast bias it is present in sports and everywhere. Its a completely different lifestlye the culture, diversity, gangs, materialism makes it no place like anywhere else in my opinion. I think poeple from out of the west feel uncomfortable with all the immigrants here personally its what makes CA CA. We used to be Mexico anywayz people just dont like us and personally, i could care less.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:46 PM

19 posts, read 77,972 times
Look in every forum on this site. People hate every city and town and state for different reasons. I grew up in L.A. and adore it to no end. To each his own

Old 04-25-2009, 05:55 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I think that, many times, people come to Los Angeles with a preconceived idea of what it will be like, based either on what they've seen in the media or, perhaps, previous visits. Once they get here and realize that it's not what they expected, they can become disappointed and bitter.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I think that, many times, people come to Los Angeles with a preconceived idea of what it will be like, based either on what they've seen in the media or, perhaps, previous visits. Once they get here and realize that it's not what they expected, they can become disappointed and bitter.
Yeah, there's that and to be honest LA's a pretty complex construction that I don't blame anyone for not liking at first blush. Or second, or millionth. But there is a vehemence to many people's reactions (I've experienced it--it's awfully weird) who've never even visited too, and it's definitely serving some other kind of purpose, as some kind of outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles