Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,322 times

Advertisements

Hello -

My husband and I recently decided to move to LA, after he received a huge promotion from his company. We now live in Washington, DC. Currently I work for a federal agency in foreign policy issues, and have my masters in the same field. I have been looking at the potential for jobs in in international affairs/policy in LA, and have found a few organizations - RAND, Pacific Council on International Policy, International Relief, The Mayor's Office of International Trade, CBP, and of course any potential center at a university, like UCLA or USC. I know there are several NGOs related to a specific region and minority advocacy groups as well.

Are there some additional organizations I missed? Are there any known networking groups for international affairs or foreign policy? Also, any idea on how competitive the job market is in this field would be great.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
I think you are going to find a pretty thin job market in LA for this area. The Rand Corp. certainly springs to mind as one of the more promient.

I have heard it's not an easy place to get a job. Lots of highly qualified competition. I don't mean to be discouraging but I would look for any contact you might have that would get you an in there. No doubt your degree and DC experience will be a plus...if you add a contact or two inside the org. I'd imagine your chances would only increase.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,322 times
Thanks that is exactly what I was thinking!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
I can't be of much help, but i remember one of my friends from college (who worked for Brookings & was a fellow at CSIS) wanted to move back to LA and she applied to all the big consultancies plus Manatt Jones, a global strategy advisor that's an offshoot of the Manatt Phelps law firm. She had an interview with them but it didn't lead to anything :/

Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,823 times
Network your own agency. Do not bother with state or municipalities right now, no funding, they are shutting down, not hiring. Unless you have contacts in higher education, that's going to be really thin here too without a PhD. Not to be a dooms-dayer but the market here is bad, like SoCal35 said, there is a flood of highly qualified canidates in the pool. You might consider the elections industry, there are some private companies in the area. Its been my observation that proffesions who are finding work in LA are doing so by networking like crazy.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles