Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Actually, that statement is correct and relevant, regarding business flights from Los Angeles to Arizona. He's just being observant, if you ask me. I used to fly into Sky Harbor and it would be pretty easy to spot the shortage of flights (largely Southwest) arriving from Los Angeles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/us...LESAP_BRF.html
Los Angeles approves Arizona business boycott - CNN.com
absolutely crazy, no one knows who is traveling for what reason. To make a statement no one has travel for business to anyplace regardless to wher that might be in 2 months is not correct. And I doubt very seriously Southwest or any other line has cancelled flights.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
I just re-read the original post and yes, that claim is a bit much (I missed it the first time). I don't doubt travel has dissipated, but certainly not all Cal-based travel has come to a standstill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
absolutely crazy, no one knows who is traveling for what reason. To make a statement no one has travel for business to anyplace regardless to wher that might be in 2 months is not correct. And I doubt very seriously Southwest or any other line has cancelled flights.

Nita

Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
LOL- see what you get when paying me a compliment? A lecture on reason.

Regardless, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I've noticed that you utilize reason in your responses; nice change from the emotion-ridden impulses of some other posters!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM

177 posts, read 432,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoncraig View Post
Los Angeles and California have plenty of problems of their own without worrying about Arizona.

If I was a citizen of L.A. or California, I would be outraged that my elected officials who earn their paychecks off the taxpayers are wasting one second discussing Arizona.
Ok, what about Arizona's problems. Our economy has been badley hurt by LA's boycott. It may not show up now, but just wait. Without employees traveling to Arizona from LA, weve been ddependent on basically every other states. Phoenix has always disliked LA, this is strengthened by the Lakers beating the suns, I guess because Phoenix has tried to follow the same growth pattern as LA, and has not been as successful.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
its politics. i think a boycott is silly. it hurts the low level workers more than anyone.

i havent boycotted AZ. i just havent found a good reason to go back in about 10 years. (almost went to dodgers spring training tho. also, i think a visit to the grand canyon is due.)

Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel NC View Post
Ok, what about Arizona's problems. Our economy has been badley hurt by LA's boycott. It may not show up now, but just wait. Without employees traveling to Arizona from LA, weve been ddependent on basically every other states. Phoenix has always disliked LA, this is strengthened by the Lakers beating the suns, I guess because Phoenix has tried to follow the same growth pattern as LA, and has not been as successful.
Keep in mind that Los Angeles is just one of many cities nationwide that is boycotting Arizona. If Arizona's economy is being effected, and according to CNN, it is being hurt, than I would voice my concerns to Arizona's legislature for hurting fellow Arizonans again [as they have done in the past also]. I support the boycott as a way to reprimand Arizona. But since the recent court action to stop much of the Arizona law I think most cities are probably willing to call off the boycotts.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
Quote:
Yeah, but at sky harbor, where my father works, they havnt had any people from LA come on business trips. last i heard, LA banned all official business to Arizona
Are you crazy I'm in an out two times a week!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:58 PM

353 posts, read 657,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Are you crazy I'm in an out two times a week!
You're my idol. If I ever won the lottery it would be Scottsdale from Oct. to Apr. and Malibu or Pacific Palisades from May to Sept. for me.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
First off the Suns boycotted Arizona before anyone else did. Its the Phoenix team and they were not in support of the law. If I were living full time in Arizona I would boycot the Suns. Then again I am a Laker fan anyway.

Secondly people have no idea what the law is about if they are against it. The only reason that the courts have put a stay on this for now at least untill it gets sorted out is that Federal Law allready states what the Arizona law tries to do. The Arizona law isn't racist, anti imigration, against people of color. What it does is helps enforce a Federal law that is not being enforced. What the courts will probably show is that the Feds can have a law and choose to not enforce it while at the same time say that a State can not decide to enforce the law on its own. In effect; the Federal Government can show that we have a law but not the resources to support it at this time, but we still hold that the law is ours to uphold or not.

Not that I agree with that. Up untill 1914 I think States had rights. Those were taken away when Senators were chosen by the people and not appointed by the States. If this law had gone into effect prior to 1914 we would not have this discussion. A balance of power that our form of Government is lacking in now. We need that balance restored. The Federal Government should not have the power to block a States right to defend itself from those that choose to break the law.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM

364 posts, read 991,389 times
Quote:
Why did LA Boycott Arizona? Zonies are like half of your overall yearly visitors! San Diego was like crying in our face saying they werent boycotting us, beacause we are san diegos tourism industry! Good luck getting Arizona Visitors, I was in hollywood earlier this year, and I dont plan to go back anytime soon, until LA lifts the boycott. LA has bigger problems then focusing on what arizonas doing.
Hey Bubba - we have beaches! We don't have oppressive heat! You Arizonans don't have the cajones to boycott us since we have what you don't - great theme parks, ocean and cool weather. Where else are you going to go for a short vacation? Las Vegas? Yeah, good luck trying to find a beach there.

You are our biyatches and will remain so until the Big One destroys California granting Arizona its first ever coastal property.

And guess what? You are now forbidden to return to California. If I catch you here again, I'm making a citizens arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles