Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 PM

354 posts, read 711,874 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...I've been gone for 18 months (lived in Hancock Park during grad school) taking advantage of a teaching cert. program here in San Antonio. It was easier to do here because my mom retired here from teaching, my aunt lives here as well as my sister and I knew I would have family support. I've gotten my SPED and ELA cert here and am starting my teaching year, the last requirement in getting my full cert(it is granted at the end of the school year--I am what's called the 'Teacher of Record' and am paid full pay.). I spent this past year working within San Antonio Independant School District (one of like 30+ school districts here), which is an inner-city school district, mostly in the behavioral adjustment classes (SPED)--kids who have emotional/behavioral issues.
I am moving back because I am getting married...although I have loved it here in S.A....(it's always warm, there's palm trees, and yesterday I drove down to S. Padre Island..nice warm water).
Sooo...I have passed part of the CSET(have one section more to pass) and passed the CBEST. I am thinking that I'd better start looking for SPED positions early...

Couple Questions:
1. My application is already in with LAUSD--would just need to be updated obviously, after this year...with the talks that I've had with several friends and acquaintances...I've gotten the impression that with SPED I have the best chance--otherwise, no ones getting hired. True?

2. The salaries are low (relatively speaking) for teachers in Los Angeles?
...here teachers are paid really well, considering the cost of living. You can get an apartment like what I have in a nice neighborhood--800 square feet, 1 bedroom, granite countertops, central air, two pools and a gym, fireplace, balcony, dishwasher, garbage disposal etc...for...669!!!!!!! Starting salary for teachers here? (depending on dist. and credentials) 45,000-50,000. With a masters or special ed? Up to 58,000.
What scares me a little is that I've gotten soooo spoiled here and forgotten what it was like so quickly and I saw that the cost of living is 45 percent more...but salaries are only 17 percent more(generally speaking). But still, I am looking forward to being back in the same state with my fiance!

Those are the only questions I have for now...thanks! Below is a pic of Mustang island where I was last week with my fiance(he's here visiting):
Attached Thumbnails
Moving Back to L.A.-must-bch250x178.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM

97 posts, read 260,434 times
Nice pic. I don't know what to say. I hear teachers are having it hard out here...

Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,931 times
Yes, I agree that you have the best bet in applying for special education jobs right now. I've worked in a few different districts and when talking to friends/family in education, they all seem to be laying off a certain number of new teachers. Not sure if LAUSD is still hiring special ed teachers (it looks like they have openings in mod-severe), but I'd definitely apply to any district that is accepting applications.

I'd also agree with the statement you made about teachers in Southern California making less (based on cost of living) than teachers elsewhere. The salary may be a bit more than other states, but when you factor in the cost to live in L.A., it is definitely easier to get by in other places. But don't let that discourage you. If this is where you want to be, hang in there.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:28 PM

354 posts, read 711,874 times
Thanks... we're definitely open to living in surrounding areas and don't have to be in L.A. proper. He has children(and I don't) so it is much easier for me to go back there than to stay here. It's really weird how many CA plates I see here all the time though...it seems people are moving here in droves (esp. Austin) and I was definitely not the only one. They are all citing job opportunities and cost of living--so the job market here is getting saturated!
Like I said, I have enjoyed my time here, but Its been hard flying back and forth just to see your honey!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,931 times
Another thing to keep in mind about LAUSD is that it is huge, so if you do get hired by them, it's difficult to know where you will be placed. It is probably about 60 miles from one end of the district to the other. There are tons of other districts next to L.A., and it seems there are special ed openings in some of them.
That's interesting that so many people are moving to Austin from California. I've thought about how much easier it would be to get ahead financially in other places, but I was born here and can't imagine moving away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles