Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 AM

21 posts, read 51,984 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

I have recently moved to western Washington to live temporarily until I land a job on a cruise line. I have applied with several different liners and am now playing the waiting game.

I don't know anyone who works(ed) on a cruise ship.

I have a bachelor's degree in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management, with two years of experience giving historical tours in Charleston, SC.

I have a preference for living in Southern California because I love the weather and fast pace, not to mention a girl I am fond of lives there.

How do I land a job on a cruise line? I am new to the industry and need some help / advice.

All thoughts are welcome! Thanks for the replies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTi9er View Post
Hey all.

I have recently moved to western Washington to live temporarily until I land a job on a cruise line. I have applied with several different liners and am now playing the waiting game.

I don't know anyone who works(ed) on a cruise ship.

I have a bachelor's degree in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management, with two years of experience giving historical tours in Charleston, SC.

I have a preference for living in Southern California because I love the weather and fast pace, not to mention a girl I am fond of lives there.

How do I land a job on a cruise line? I am new to the industry and need some help / advice.

All thoughts are welcome! Thanks for the replies...
Are you trying to work in management for a cruise line or on the ship? Most crew members on the ships, unless it is NCLA (which is a branch of Norwegian cruise lines, out of Hawaii) are not Americans. In fact it is rare to find an American working as a crew member. If you are talking land based management, most companies are based out of Florida. As far as I can think, only Princess is based out of the Los Angeles area. There may be a few of the upscale smaller lines that would work.

The only advise I can give would be to log onto each of the mass marketed lines, at the bottom there will be a referance to how to apply for employment. I don't know how much this will help, but it is a start.

Nita
Nita

Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you trying to work in management for a cruise line or on the ship? Most crew members on the ships, unless it is NCLA (which is a branch of Norwegian cruise lines, out of Hawaii) are not Americans. In fact it is rare to find an American working as a crew member. If you are talking land based management, most companies are based out of Florida. As far as I can think, only Princess is based out of the Los Angeles area. There may be a few of the upscale smaller lines that would work.

The only advise I can give would be to log onto each of the mass marketed lines, at the bottom there will be a referance to how to apply for employment. I don't know how much this will help, but it is a start.

Nita
Nita
I took a cruise (to Alaska, ex-Seattle) on Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) and most of the ship crew, whether the technical/ship area or the hospitality/hotel section, are non-American - probably the largest nationality represented are Filipino. The cruise director & some sales people are Americans.

I would check with the lines itself where they are HQ'd. Ports of origin/termination are usually as follows:

For Alaska cruises - Seattle, sometimes Vancouver
For Caribbean cruises - Miami, sometimes San Juan
For Mexican Riviera - Los Angeles/Long Beach

Old 08-24-2010, 07:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I took a cruise (to Alaska, ex-Seattle) on Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) and most of the ship crew, whether the technical/ship area or the hospitality/hotel section, are non-American - probably the largest nationality represented are Filipino. The cruise director & some sales people are Americans.

I would check with the lines itself where they are HQ'd. Ports of origin/termination are usually as follows:

For Alaska cruises - Seattle, sometimes Vancouver
For Caribbean cruises - Miami, sometimes San Juan
For Mexican Riviera - Los Angeles/Long Beach
yes, most lines are 80% or more foreign, but the management is a mixture. NCLA is the only line (one ship now) flagged in Armerica so they are required to have 80% of their crew Americans.

Nita

Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, most lines are 80% or more foreign, but the management is a mixture. NCLA is the only line (one ship now) flagged in Armerica so they are required to have 80% of their crew Americans.

Nita
thanks for the info, that would make sense. Most cruise ships are usually flagged in the usual nations of convenience such as Panama, Liberia, Bahamas, etc.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 PM

21 posts, read 51,984 times
Thanks for the information you all. I went to Seattle today to talk to someone with Princess Cruises about employment advice.

They said almost verbatum what I got from here. Most of the cruise staff is foreign because of the strict U.S. Labor laws. They do hire Americans and you can get on. The key to landing employment, like anything, is persistence.

Following up is one way to show your interest. Most companies take on crew members through on-line applications. They no longer talk with potential candidates on the phone because of high call volume pertaining to interest in working.

I really want to live in the Southern California region. I know it is expensive, and I am trying to think of things that I could do down there in the meantime to get by until something on a ship opens up.

Any ideas / areas of interest I may want to pursue? Thanks!

Old 10-20-2010, 03:11 AM

14 posts, read 68,182 times
I may actually be alot of help. i worked on the Pride of Hawaii for NCLA and it was amazing. I also live in charleston and have a friend here who worked on the ships for about 3 years. NCLA is the american owned ship and they have to pay american wages and all the crew is between the ages of 18-30 for the majority. It was the time of the life and now i'm moving back to hawaii in march. If you have any questions feel free to find me on facebook. my email is smashley852003@yahoo.com. Your best bet to get a job is seeing if they are doing in person interviews (usually at a hotel). I got hired in june, left for training in october and was on the ship a month later. Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 AM

437 posts, read 811,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattletoMaui View Post
I may actually be alot of help. i worked on the Pride of Hawaii for NCLA and it was amazing. I also live in charleston and have a friend here who worked on the ships for about 3 years. NCLA is the american owned ship and they have to pay american wages and all the crew is between the ages of 18-30 for the majority. It was the time of the life and now i'm moving back to hawaii in march. If you have any questions feel free to find me on facebook. my email is smashley852003@yahoo.com. Your best bet to get a job is seeing if they are doing in person interviews (usually at a hotel). I got hired in june, left for training in october and was on the ship a month later. Good Luck!
Can you please give me some advice too i just graduated from Florida and i need a marketing jobs on the cruise line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles