Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,878 times

Advertisements

So here goes...

Like many people i play guitar for some time now and i will get my Sae Diploma in a few months, i really love music i want want to work in music b.

So im thinking for some time now of moving to a bigger city (i had london and LA in mind). If i do this, it will probably be a year/ year and a half from now. I would like to work in a studio like and recoding engineer, mix engineer... , and to find some like minded people for a band. I know it aint easy and it takes a lot of hard work to work in this business but i really love music and i am prepared to work hard on this.

So do anyone has any suggestions, tips, has been thru this?, how to get started anything that could help me out to get as close as i can to what i would like to do?!.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 AM

364 posts, read 991,601 times
The great think about music is that it isn't centered in L.A. You can live anywhere and pursue your dreams. Having that diploma is also a good thing as you will have non-performance skills as well.

What I would do is find work where you are in order to build a portfolio. Then when you're ready to move to whatever city has the most interest for you, use that portfolio to find a recording job. Use that job to network to also find yourself a playing gig.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:31 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,227,140 times
It's tough out here. I went to L.A. Recording School. Within 2 blocks there was also MI and SAE. I worked at a small studio in Tarzana for a while for free. I was at a point in my life where I needed a real job. So I ended up working for a pro audio manufacturer. Most of the guys working there had done their time as FOH or session engineers but decided they needed steady income. They still did gigs on the side, but didn't rely on it for full time income. One of my bosses worked for 30 years on the road with some big name acts as a FOH engineer.

I'm not trying to steer you away from this. Those schools give you illusions of crazy success and being able to do it full time. I can just give you input from my experiences. I would say move towards system integration and learn how to "tune a room". There are a lot of gigs out there for sound contractors who outfit and install systems at mega churches. Check out Video Conferencing, Video Communications, Audio Video System Design and Installation they have a lot of offices around the country. I'm not religious, nor are a lot of these guys. These churches have big budgets. Hell, you could maybe even find a full time gig doing sound at a mega church.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,234,910 times
Austin is a great city for musicians, fyi.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
One of my bosses worked for 30 years on the road with some big name acts as a FOH engineer.
Not such a bad gig if you can adapt to life on the road for months at a time. One can always settle back in local FOH and studio engineering if the road burns you out, as there is always a demand for such. Same with rehearsal space.

You could take these skills out of a saturated market (L.A.), and be the best in a smaller market. Kind of nice to do it on your own terms.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 PM

23 posts, read 54,570 times
That is actually really sound advice. Nice.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM

5 posts, read 23,061 times
I agree with Mr.Bungle, I went to a large school in Orlando, FL and had hope's and dreams of being a super star engineer, while I am sure it can happen, I needed steady paychecks for my family and I. So, I ended up moving around, and working as an AV Tech for a few good companies, and think that for stability it always helps to have the full time gig, and freelance engineer on the side. Also, I think it is better to start in a smaller market, network, build up your experience and portfolio, and make a gradual transition to a larger city. You don't want to make the big jump with out having anything lined up that will pay the bills. Hope this helps. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: