Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:04 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,861 times

Advertisements

I've gone to the usual stores: Home Depot and Lowes and I'm having the hardest time finding what I thought every hardware store would carry...the makings of a white picket fence.

Does anyone know a store or lumber warehouse I can go to get wood pickets (not stakes). I'd like them to have the tips look like these pictures:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:51 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Looks like what you need are 1 x 3's for the Pickets, 4x4's for the posts. You could lay out your posts every 6 feet. Then between the posts place a 1X3 six inches from the top of the post and 6 inches from the bottom of the post. I would use a 2x4 to get the spacing between post correct. although you could even use one of the pickets for spacing. When your all done putting the fence up prep the wood for paint and shoot it with white. As far as I know everything for the picket fence is at both Home Depot and Lowe's, including the tools to get the job done. Infact you can rent the tools including the saw needed to cut your pickets down and give them the point at the top you desire.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
You can also get them pre-made in vinyl, in either 8 or 10 foot sections.
Bob.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Thanks for your responses guys. I really want wood because it has a more authentic look and I hear it wears better. It's more the aesthetics for me.

I own a corner property and I have A LOT of stakes that I need to get and I'd honestly rather not cut the wood tips myself at that 45 degree angle you see on the pictures. That will take me forever. Is there a lumber store that will cut probably around 300 (totally guessing) pickets for me?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
Don't get wood unless it's at least pressure treated. The termites will chew through it relatively quick. Vinyl is easy to clean and looks good

Old 09-16-2010, 09:59 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
You didn't say what part of L.A. you're in. Look in the Yellow Pages under lumber. If you were in Northridge I'd tell you to go to Northridge Lumber on Parthenia at Reseda Blvd. I get all my stuff from either them or from Home Depot.

If you want your fence to last forever get those metal things (I forgot what they're called), an "H" shaped bracket where the bottom half goes in the concrete, the horizontal part (a plate) is the same level as the top of the concrete (ground level) and the upper part of the H has holes for horizontal bolts to attach the fence post. With this method the wood never stands in water and it won't rot. Okay that's my handyman tip of the day!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 PM

144 posts, read 608,362 times
Try Ganahl Lumber (http://www.ganahl.com/locations.htm - broken link), they have a 8 locations mostly in OC.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You didn't say what part of L.A. you're in. Look in the Yellow Pages under lumber. If you were in Northridge I'd tell you to go to Northridge Lumber on Parthenia at Reseda Blvd. I get all my stuff from either them or from Home Depot.

If you want your fence to last forever get those metal things (I forgot what they're called), an "H" shaped bracket where the bottom half goes in the concrete, the horizontal part (a plate) is the same level as the top of the concrete (ground level) and the upper part of the H has holes for horizontal bolts to attach the fence post. With this method the wood never stands in water and it won't rot. Okay that's my handyman tip of the day!
I live in the NoHo Arts District on a corner lot. I went to Lowes today and was told that they don't cut wood into pickets; they only cut wood at lengths . I have no problem driving to Northridge if they have wood pickets. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll report back what I find.

Oh also, thanks for handyman tip of the day. I can use all I can get.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
As long as you're there, there's a smaller lumber yard across on the south side of Parthenia about 1/4 mile east of Reseda Blvd. I recall a lumber yard in North Hollywood, perhaps on Chandler. You should check out the Yellow Pages.

Last edited by Lovehound; 09-17-2010 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Do you have a rose covered cottage to go with the white picket fence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles