Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I like cool ocean temperatures.
Nothing quite as refreshing as a dip in the cold Pacific on a sweltering Summer day. Who wants Gulf-style bathtub water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
People in Florida and on the gulf like to brag about how warm their water is, but it comes with bugs and humidity. They don't admit that though.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Yesterday a track meet with 800 students was held at an LA high school. Ten kids were taken to the hospital for heat related injuries; 2 in serious condition. The superintendent of schools was pissed at the coaches & said he did not want any athletic competitions if the temperature was 95F or higher. I think the LAUSD will get sued by the parents of the kids who got sick yesterday.

It is really dark this morning and looks like it will rain any minute; I hope!

Old 10-01-2010, 07:12 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nothing quite as refreshing as a dip in the cold Pacific on a sweltering Summer day. Who wants Gulf-style bathtub water?
Bathtub warm water doesn't sound too bad to me! I will say this, though... if one could combine Southern California dryness (without the extreme drought and predomintant sagebrush and scrub brush dry brown landscape) with Myrtle Beach like sea temperatures, would be like paradise (maybe a somewhat dry, less humid Hawaii day might be like that).

Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintChapstick View Post
I spent Tuesday at the beach in Santa Monica. Temps were hot enough that the cool water felt fabulous. Lovely day.
You have absolutely gorgeous coast out there. I'm more used to Atlantic and Gulf Coasts (one thing I like on East Coast and Gulf Coast are the Intercoastal Waterways, one can boat between the mainland and barrier islands without going out into open ocean, and that can be great if stormy or rough out in the ocean). I especially like Myrtle Beach and Folly Beach/Sullivan's Island/Isle of Palms/Charleston area and Wilimington and Carolina Beach and Nags Head/Hatteras areas of South and North Carolina (don't care too much for Hilton Head though, although many may disagree with me), and to a lesser extent like Virginia Tidewater and Virginia Beach areas for watersports (very jellyfishy there, though), and I very much like Florida (almost anywhere there), Alabama Gulf Coast (too bad oil spill happened a few months ago) and Carribean. One thing I do like about Pacific over Atlantic Coastline is the rocky coastline areas and coves that have semi-circular shaped beaches, and water below Point Conception, though a bit cold for my tastes, at least for a good part of the year is tolerable. Santa Barbara is absolutely one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen, and seems to be a class act. Central and Northern California, and Oregon and Washington as well, beaches and coastlines, although exquisitely beautiful, to me is a hypothermia inducer, though I swam (and I'll admit I was foolish) for 2 hours straight in Newport, Oregon, everytime wave hit me felt like bucket of ice water being poured on me (one of the coldest in my life I've ever been... I won't do that again!). P.S. You guys have much more of a surfer culture out there than that Atlantic or Gulf. The only place on East Coast I can think of that even comes close is Outer Banks, North Carolina area (these tropical storms and hurricanes out in Atlantic this late summer and early fall have really got the surfers out there big time in that area).

Last edited by rxpwas; 10-01-2010 at 07:32 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 PM

199 posts, read 546,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
You have absolutely gorgeous coast out there. I'm more used to Atlantic and Gulf Coasts (one thing I like on East Coast and Gulf Coast are the Intercoastal Waterways, one can boat between the mainland and barrier islands without going out into open ocean, and that can be great if stormy or rough out in the ocean). I especially like Myrtle Beach and Folly Beach/Sullivan's Island/Isle of Palms/Charleston area and Wilimington and Carolina Beach and Nags Head/Hatteras areas of South and North Carolina (don't care too much for Hilton Head though, although many may disagree with me), and to a lesser extent like Virginia Tidewater and Virginia Beach areas for watersports (very jellyfishy there, though), and I very much like Florida (almost anywhere there), Alabama Gulf Coast (too bad oil spill happened a few months ago) and Carribean. One thing I do like about Pacific over Atlantic Coastline is the rocky coastline areas and coves that have semi-circular shaped beaches, and water below Point Conception, though a bit cold for my tastes, at least for a good part of the year is tolerable. Santa Barbara is absolutely one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen, and seems to be a class act. Central and Northern California, and Oregon and Washington as well, beaches and coastlines, although exquisitely beautiful, to me is a hypothermia inducer, though I swam (and I'll admit I was foolish) for 2 hours straight in Newport, Oregon, everytime wave hit me felt like bucket of ice water being poured on me (one of the coldest in my life I've ever been... I won't do that again!). P.S. You guys have much more of a surfer culture out there than that Atlantic or Gulf. The only place on East Coast I can think of that even comes close is Outer Banks, North Carolina area (these tropical storms and hurricanes out in Atlantic this late summer and early fall have really got the surfers out there big time in that area).
Hi there. I've only been out here 4 years and am familiar with Malibu and Santa Monica beaches only.

Lived the rest of my life in the South and Florida (which isn't the South, imo). I've been to the Outer Banks, Atlantic Beach (and the Sound between AB and Morehead City) and Emerald Isle in NC, New Smyrna, Destin and Daytona in FL, and of course Virginia Beach.

I find something to like in all those places. Each is different.

You're from Kentucky? Only driven through twice years ago, but it seems to be gorgeous. I'd consider living there, but have to go back to Virginia for family reasons. Still, I hope to be in the Blue Ridge Mountains and might find time to sneak on over to your state.

Best wishes.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintChapstick View Post
Hi there. I've only been out here 4 years and am familiar with Malibu and Santa Monica beaches only.

Lived the rest of my life in the South and Florida (which isn't the South, imo). I've been to the Outer Banks, Atlantic Beach (and the Sound between AB and Morehead City) and Emerald Isle in NC, New Smyrna, Destin and Daytona in FL, and of course Virginia Beach.

I find something to like in all those places. Each is different.

You're from Kentucky? Only driven through twice years ago, but it seems to be gorgeous. I'd consider living there, but have to go back to Virginia for family reasons. Still, I hope to be in the Blue Ridge Mountains and might find time to sneak on over to your state.

Best wishes.
I think you would love Red River Gorge area and Cumberland Falls area of Ky. if passing through, as well as Lexington Blue Grass Region. Also, the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and Cherokee and Great Smoky Mtn. area, though in Tn. and N.C. and not Ky., aren't extremely far from Ky., and are dear to hearts of most Kentuckians. If you were in Ky. now, The World Equestrian Games are going on in Lexington. Have a great day!

Old 10-02-2010, 01:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Today is so nice. Still humid and thunderstorms are forecast again but the temperature is in the 80's! Yesterday's thunderstorms were incredible but it only rained for maybe 10 minutes.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Today is so nice. Still humid and thunderstorms are forecast again but the temperature is in the 80's! Yesterday's thunderstorms were incredible but it only rained for maybe 10 minutes.
Oh you are making me so jealous! I'm freezing my butt off here!!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
A cool 91 today in Fontana. That's almost Arctic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles