Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Los Angeles Chargers 2.0
The Chargers fan base is here not LA, nor will it ever be in LA, the team would likely need rebadging to be any real draw, history be damned.

The decision to allow the Chargers to move to LA, will come from all the NFL owners and players. The Chargers will have to prove to the NFL that San Diego is not a good market for the NFL, and we should lose our team. The Chargers organization has never presented the public with ballot language.

After the LA deal with AEG is known next year, the City of San Diego could ask the NFL for the same agreement and terms as LA. Currently San Diego has to give the Chargers $500 million, or they will move to a privately financed stadium LA. LA taxpayers plans to spend zero dollars on a new stadium.

San Diego has room for big things. BIG things.
You build a stadium downtown and bam. Lots of business there year round.
You level the Q. Build freaking Disneyland there and bam. More revenue.
You gotta spend money to make money. No one wants to take that risk right now.

It's not right. LA has lost 3 teams, we have supported OUR chargers for decades, despite them winning nothing in their history, yet we come out and rock the blue and yellow all the time, this would be a crime to this city and would be a complete disgrace.

I really can't imagine this city without the Bolts. Sure we have the beach and I love my Padres, but sorry, I can't deal with this team moving away from San Diego AND to LA, the 'enemies' to the North, it would be a shame. I will gladly stand in front of government buildings or Chargers Park to protest

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 11-16-2010 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Oh boy here we go again.

The Spanos clan may very well take their ball and go to LA, and there may not be much we here in SD can do about it. They've been beating us over the head for 8 years with this LA stadium stuff. We'll never know if they're really moving, or if they're just posturing for a better stadium deal until after the fact anyway. While this team is the SAN DIEGO chargers, they will continue to have my full fandom, including game tickets, merchandise, etc. But as soon any situation is presented where they are no longer the San Diego Chargers, I will boycott the NFL. I urge all SAN DIEGO chargers fans to take the same approach to the situation. Perhaps if the NFL bean counters realize that SD fandom will not become LA fandom, it will help our cause.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Dear La, please take the raiders out of nor cal. Thank you.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:49 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
LA does not deserve a team. LA fans will not care about a new team until they are good. Why? Because LA fans are massive bandwagon fans. I really don't remember their being a ton of Laker fans in the mid 90's when they were a good team but not near being a top tier team. The same goes for USC now compared to 4 years ago.

Facts are, expansion teams SUCK for at least the first 5 years. It doesn't matter what sport and its especially true in football. The Jags and Panthers SUCKED for the first 5 years then magically got good for a few years after then went back to sucking.

Raider fans will not switch to a new LA team. The stigma with negativity with the Raiders is far too appealing. I mean, where else can felons and wannabe felons band together as a community regardless of color or creed? This is the only time they have a common cause...the unholy Chiefs!!!

Anaheim Ram fans will remain Ram fans because they were here a long time. I suppose people my age (25) and under are much more likely to support a new team since we don't really remember the Raiders or Rams being in LA outside of old films and heresy. However, this is not the demographic the NFL wants nor any business since we do not spend enough money compared to the 34-50 crowd.

It will be a miserable failure and the lack of support will be obvious. I doubt they will actually be in LA as well. More like the City of Industry / Walnut (traffic) Jammers! Their logo can be a car accident!

Last edited by Dub D; 11-16-2010 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 10:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cosby View Post
We get it...

Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Amen.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Please God no....

All this would mean is we'd become a captive TV market & I'd get fewer Steeler games on Sunday afternoons & mornings. What do I get in return - a crappy team that will relo in 10 more years when they can't attract the fickle LA fans just iketh eother 3 teams that have washed out here.

Only way it could be worse is if we did take the Raiders back...

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Oh one thing I forgot to mention, since it would be very likely attendance would be extremely low, they would blackout the game in the area. This is what they do in Jacksonville and a few other markets. I know San Diego has had Charger games blacked out in the past.

LA has been without a team for what, like 15 years? What exactly has changed since then?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:53 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Oh no, bandwagon Steeler "fan" gets to see "his" team less often...

Old 11-17-2010, 02:47 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Oh no, bandwagon Steeler "fan" gets to see "his" team less often...

I got on that bandwagon in 1972 when I went to my first Steelers game at 3 rivers stadium, pal.

Trust me there are alot of out of market fans in the LA media market who like things just the way they are.

Last edited by OC Investor2; 11-17-2010 at 02:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles