Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:29 PM

15 posts, read 38,411 times

Advertisements

Hi!!
This is my first post although I've been lurking around for awhile now. lol!
I am posting today because Los Angeles confuses me and I need help!!

I am a New Yorker and I have lived in NY my entire life (31 years). My husband and I are in the process of moving out of our apartment in Long Island and we want to move to CA.

I am looking at Los Angeles but it's very confusing and the people that I have been speaking to, made me scared about how dangerous LA is.

I mostly want to live where the weather is warmer and where there is more nature to enjoy. I am not concerned about the cost of living or traffic because in NYC the rent is high and the traffic sucks and I'm used to that but the gang violence that I am hearing runs all over L.A scares me!

I am going to list my questions and any answers anyone can provide to them is very much appreciated!

1. What are safest/ nicest areas to live in L.A?

2. Can Compton and the dangerous places be avoided at all costs? Will I accidently drive through a dangerous town if I don't know better?

3. Do drive-by's happen outside of the "hood"

4. How often do earthquakes occur?

5. I am visiting LA for 10 days in Dec, I don't need a super expensive hotel since we will be out of the hotel most of the time but I just want to be in a safe area, are there any hotels or areas I should look at?

6. are there certain colors we should not wear?

Sidebar:
I spent the summer in San Jose and I love it but the weather wasn't as nice as L.A but I am willing to move to another part of CA or outside of L.A as long as it is warm and safe, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I know I asked a lot...any help anyone can provide is much needed and I am grateful to receive it

Thanks!!

RO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:38 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i think you're a troll, but i'll bite anyways. LA is huge, there are good and bad neighborhoods all over. as for the worst neighborhoods, you'll probably have no reason to ever go there, so it shouldn't be a consideration. earthquakes are real, but if you look at some stats, LA has 10MM+ people in the metro area and we still get earthquakes, so I wouldn't consider them to be that big of an issue. it's more about being prepared than anything else.

it sounds like you are stuck in the early 1990s, when crime was much worse (same for NYC) and we had a few large earthquakes. FYI, san jose is just as prone to big earthquakes and has it's own big city crime problems as well. LA is also very expensive and i wouldn't come out here without a job lined up since you didn't mention anything about that.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShow View Post

6. are there certain colors we should not wear?
Where are your jobs going to be?

Don't wear one of these and you'll be fine.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM

what is a troll?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Where are your jobs going to be?

Don't wear one of these and you'll be fine.
seriously?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 PM

I work in entertainment so I can work from home that's why I wanted to be in or near LA but I don't have to be in LA

Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
seriously?
What about the jobs?
What is your budget?
Buying or renting?
Kids? Ages?

A lot of people in LA (natives) think ex-New Yorkers are annoying and provincial: "You call dese restaurants? You should see da restaurants back in new york".

Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I work in entertainment so I can work from home that's why I wanted to be in or near LA but I don't have to be in LA
What about your husband?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM

My husband's company will relocate him if we choose to move and he works on the road and I work from home so I am flexible with areas. I would prefer to not pay more than 2,000 a mth for rent but if paying more will keep me out of the hood, then I will pay more. I would prefer nothing more than 2,000 so I can save to buy a home. I have a 2 bdrm now in Long Island but I really only need a 1 bdrm. No children, 1 small dog.

I hate NYC, I'm not brimming with NY pride and I've lived here all my life. My husband hates the city and prefers to stay on Long Island. I'm not in search of good Chinese food or a NY slice of pizza, I'm a vegan.. I just need sunny weather and a smile for a change...be it fake or real.

I get why people like the city but it's just not for me. It's super dirty and everybody is rude. I've been thinking about moving since High School.. in a perfect world I would move to Hawaii but my husband isn't sold on that idea (yet)...

Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 PM

I was honestly sold on L.A, even though I only been there once.. I booked a flight to come in Dec and view apartments. I knew Compton was bad but I figured.."just don't go to compton"... I had a convo with a friend who used to manage Crash Mansion out there this weekend and he was telling me how bad L.A is...he told me you aren't safe anywhere..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles