Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 AM

57 posts, read 244,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejperryman View Post
I have always dreamed of living in Cali, and recently of living in LA. The last time I was there I loved Burbank and Pasadena, although of course I would die to be able to afford to live in Santa Monica or Los Feliz. But I can't. So.......should I move to Tampa b/c it's cheaper and my family is there?

I grew up in Miami (too hot, too gridlocked and now too expensive).

Went to school in Tallahassee (too small, too "country" and now too gridlocked).

Have lived in DC for 12 years (too cold, too expensive, WAY too gridlocked, and the people are generally un-interesting drones marching lockstep to their govt. jobs).

I am thinking about moving to LA. But I can't afford a house there, and that would make me miserbale. So I could move back to Fla., but am worried that I will hate it. My family is in Fla. (I miss them), I love the winters (but hate the summers and the bugs), love the water sports and love the cost of living/tax benefit. Plus, I can buy a huge house in Florida for half of what my house in DC is worth! And I am also looking to prolly retire there, near one of Fla.'s many springs.

Being very familiar with Fla., I have decided that where I am right now in my life, South Tampa (Palma Ceia, Hyde Park areas) is probably my best bet. But I am still worried.

Living in DC, as boring and cold as it is, I have gotten used to a certain level of culture, class, educated inhabitants, good restaurants and, other benefits (like having 3 airports instead of one). Which is why LA is so attractive. A lot of Florida is lacking in those departments (compared to northeast, west coast etc). Tampa too.

Am wondering whether anyone out there has moved from DC, Chicago, LA, NYC, or Boston to Tampa, and liked it? Or should I just move to LA (like I have always dreamed about) and deal with living in an apartment/condo and future drought and earthquakes?

I haven't lived in either places but have considered relocating recently. I have kids so I am trying to be a bit more careful but if I didn't I would pack up and go in a heartbeat.

I would suggest you follow your dream and move to LA. Rent an apartment for a while and get a feel for the place.

If it doesn't work or you don't like it then you could always go to Florida.

If you just go to Florida and don't try LA then you will spend your days wondering what if I went to LA?? From you thread, LA seems to be the place that you really want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 AM

87 posts, read 411,320 times
dude **** florida it blows and its to ****ing hot and humid i live in LA i love and born and raised weather is great and the sun shines only downer is the trafffic and quakes o well

Old 07-22-2007, 05:53 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I've lived in both Florida and California and I would pick Los Angeles. The primary reason is because Los Angeles has tons and tons of things to do and nice weather most of the time. Tampa is really hot and humid half of the year (hate the humidity) and doesn't have much to do.

Florida is a cultural wasteland as far as I'm concerned.
As someone else who has also lived in both Florida (Orlando) and California, I completely agree with you. California may be more expensive, but to me, it's definitely worth it.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:33 PM

40 posts, read 157,757 times
I've lived in Florida all my life. If given the choice between LA and Florida - I'd pick LA. Go through one Cat 4 or 5 Hurricane and you'll see how wonderful Florida is. Plus Florida is getting very expensive. I plan on leaving Florida but have to decide if I want to live in LA or Boston. The weather in LA is appealing to me but am afraid I'd get lost in the shuffle with 4 million people that live there. Boston also appeals to me but then there are the harsh winters. Oh and if you move to Florida get ready for a big pay cut. The wages do not always match the cost of living depending on there you live.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,124 times
I have relatives who live in the Tampa/St. Pete area and I currently live in L.A. While I like L.A. for my friends and since it centers around what I want to do (entertainment industry), it's not somewhere I can see myself living for a long time.

It all depends what you are looking for in a place to live. If you're looking for somewhere just to try out for a couple years, then L.A. is probably fine. If you're looking long term, it might be better to try the Tampa/St. Pete area.

I would say the suburbs of Tampa/St. Pete have much better school systems, not to mention that housing costs are more reasonable. If you want to live really close to the beach, you won't be that close in Tampa. I think St. Petersburg is nicer anyway or moving to a suburb like Clearwater, Largo, or Dunedin.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:33 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagirl08 View Post
I've lived in Florida all my life. If given the choice between LA and Florida - I'd pick LA. Go through one Cat 4 or 5 Hurricane and you'll see how wonderful Florida is. Plus Florida is getting very expensive. I plan on leaving Florida but have to decide if I want to live in LA or Boston. The weather in LA is appealing to me but am afraid I'd get lost in the shuffle with 4 million people that live there. Boston also appeals to me but then there are the harsh winters. Oh and if you move to Florida get ready for a big pay cut. The wages do not always match the cost of living depending on there you live.
4 million my a** sweety. 4 million in LA proper. No recent pop. survey has been done, but i'm sure the metro area is near 20 million now.

as for earthquakes...they dont come nearly as often as hurricanes. and when you look at those earthquake maps, it looks like we have tons, but we can't feel 98% of them.

and if you can't afford the LA basin yet (the flat land extending crom coast), try San Fernando Valley (separated from basin by Santa Monica Mountains-North of basin) or the OC (Southeast of LA county). Ventura County(Northwest) is cheaper, but make sure you go for Ventura city if you go up there. Check with LA forumers before you do anything with the Valley b/c the areas up there are either hell or heaven.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 PM

40 posts, read 157,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
4 million my a** sweety. 4 million in LA proper. No recent pop. survey has been done, but i'm sure the metro area is near 20 million now.

as for earthquakes...they dont come nearly as often as hurricanes. and when you look at those earthquake maps, it looks like we have tons, but we can't feel 98% of them.

and if you can't afford the LA basin yet (the flat land extending crom coast), try San Fernando Valley (separated from basin by Santa Monica Mountains-North of basin) or the OC (Southeast of LA county). Ventura County(Northwest) is cheaper, but make sure you go for Ventura city if you go up there. Check with LA forumers before you do anything with the Valley b/c the areas up there are either hell or heaven.
I think I see what you are saying. The city of LA has about 4 million people then when you add outside of the city limits it probably comes to 20 million. Wow! That is a lot of people. The cities I've lived in Florida have about 200,000 people but I'm sure those numbers have gone way up as well. I'm sure 20 million people causes some traffic situations. Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 PM

besides the San Joaquin Valley, most of that area is considered the LA Megalopolis

LA county

Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 PM

as for what I was saying about the valley, look at that last post and find San Fernando Valley. The area east of LA basin behind the mountains is the San Gabriel Valley. Try Pasadena there, but nowhere else. Pasadena is my favorite valley city. The flat land on the coast west of SFV is where Ventura city is. Don't go past the purple mountains though into Lancaster and Palmdale.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagirl08 View Post
I think I see what you are saying. The city of LA has about 4 million people then when you add outside of the city limits it probably comes to 20 million. Wow! That is a lot of people. The cities I've lived in Florida have about 200,000 people but I'm sure those numbers have gone way up as well. I'm sure 20 million people causes some traffic situations. Thanks for the advice!
There are millions of people in the L.A. area, but there are still a lot of open spaces. You wouldn't feel crowded unless you are in the downtown area of the major cities like downtown L.A., Hollywood, Long Beach, etc. The population of the Los Angeles area is about 13 million.

Here are some photos of open spaces in my area:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles