Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,923 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be moving to LA in 6 months and I have no idea where to get an apt. I'll be working at USC Med Center. I would like to rent a studio, preferably not to expensive. Could anyone please suggest areas I should look at? It would be nice to live near the beach but the commute might be too long? Thank you for any suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 12:32 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Kris,
If you want to live close to work, Los Feliz would be a place to check. The areas between Hillhurst to the west and Los Feliz blvd to the north, east to Hyperion.

There are some interesting older places near silverlake blvd. I was looking at a property on the 900 block of vendom, and the apartments were clean, interesting streets in through there.

Larchmont has a trendy area that is a bit more west.

If you want to be really close to work, you may consider one of the lofts in downtown los angeles. But if you like beach style living, that may not suit you.

Given your situation, you will really need to check the specific areas out during daylight and nighttime hours. All these areas are located in the city so I would make sure to take your time and find the place that you feel comfortable in.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,064 times
It alll depend on how much you want to spend on rent, CA is quite high. Studios in the city or beach 400 square ft nice area maybe if you can find one low $1600.00

Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Commuting from the beach would be horrendous. I echo Los Feliz. Check out Silverlake as well. I like Mt. Washington for a nice close-in suburb as well. Honorable mentions are Pasadena and South Pasadena. The former is gorgeous and has plenty of night life, the latter also nice but quieter and an easy commute to downtown.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 AM

179 posts, read 921,379 times
There are a few places in lincoln heights and city terrace that aren't that great. If you have a ride i would say silverlake or los feliz, but if you know the area then it hasn't changed much.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,923 times
Default Many thanks!

Hi all,

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will definitely take a look at the places mentioned. I've never been to LA, so I have no idea how the city is like. Sounds like Pasadena is the choice for me as I lived in Manhattan for 7 years and miss side walks cafe.

Thanks!
Kris

p/s: I have a car, so reasonable commute is OK with me.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:05 PM

51 posts, read 333,257 times
Default I move from NYC to LA last year

I moved from NY to LA last year, I rented Penske Truck and towed my car. I thought about getting rid of everything but I would have to pay a lot to replace it. If you want to get a truck make reservation early and get AAA card. Penske gives 10-15% discount to AAA members, and rates get higher as you get closer. You can change moving date once and rate will stay the same and you can always cancel it.
As to moving I would call up apartments that offer month to month and rent it. Than you can give 30 day notice and move out after you get familiar with areas. I spent $1,500 for a trip to LA to find apartment and it was bad idea. It is better to get month to month and look for something permanent with rent control while you are here. On craigslist you can find moving companies that provide 2 people and a truck for $60. So if you keep most of stuff packed it will cost you maybe $300 to move while you are in LA. I know one apartment that does month to month 323-850-1710, it is not great but for short time is OK. I would recommend you Burbank or West Hollywood. I do not know location of your work, so check out other posts. I know that West Hollywood has rent control, I do not know about Burbank. LA has rent control but for buildings that were build before certain date. Search for it on internet or call city of LA. On the other hand, I prefer NYC but my wife wants to be an actress. The nice thing about LA is weather and proximity to mountains if you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles