Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
I am sure there are many plausible reasons for the drop in crime: better policing focused on troubled areas, more prisons locking up more of the bad guys, etc.

Stephen Levitt, Univ. of Chicago economist (and Freakonomics author), argues LEGALIZED abortion has as much or more to do with falling crime rates than any of the above.

The Impact of Legalized Abortion on Crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
that and the fact that fact we're not in a crack epidemic anymore. my understanding is that much of the reason for the spike in crime in the late 80s/early 90s had to do with the proliferation of crack cocaine. regardless, i'm glad that we've become more civilized in the last 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
All of the technology that you see on your CSIs and Law and Orders are another reason - - more serial offenders of all sorts are caught now (murder isn't the only crime that is seeing forty year lows). Better forensics and more technology in the ways of finding out about crime (surveillance, internet chatter, etc) has definitely helped.

The only reason people don't naturally feel these massive dips in crime is because of a 24-hour news cycle that feeds upon sensational crimes. The John Gardner killings in San Diego county are horrific events to be sure, but the constant reporting on the events make it seem like the world in an increasingly dangerous place when, in reality, sexual crimes, rapes, and murders are all down. These events were happening much more often in the late 80s/early 90s - - we just didn't have the internet, Fox/MSNBC, etc talking about them incessently.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Hah! I just had this discussion with one of my old friends still living in North Hollywood. I told him "doesn't it feel like this place got a whole lot safer since the time we grew up here?" Now there's empirical truth to that.

Hell, even Compton and Watts got a lot safer. Not safe enough for me to walk around wearing a red shirt at night, but safer still!

Looks like I chose the right year to move back to LA

Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
The infrastructure is a wreck. Have you seen pico near sepulveda? What a mess.

I wish the infrastructure would go back to 1967! That would get me to celebrate.

Its funny how murders peaked in '92, but I would say quality of life was better then. Less congestion. Gas was a $1 something. Homes that were in line with income. The 405 was human, lol.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
The infrastructure is a wreck. Have you seen pico near sepulveda? What a mess.

I wish the infrastructure would go back to 1967! That would get me to celebrate.

Its funny how murders peaked in '92, but I would say quality of life was better then. Less congestion. Gas was a $1 something. Homes that were in line with income. The 405 was human, lol.
Totally agree. Two things are better now: Murder rate and pollution. Everything else was better back then. You know, Los Angeles was actually affordable for middle class families.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Totally agree. Two things are better now: Murder rate and pollution. Everything else was better back then. You know, Los Angeles was actually affordable for middle class families.
It seems like so long ago. I think the media (and 24/7 internet) has warped our sense of time. The most salacious thing on TV was....Hard Copy. A current affair?

Everything seemed so tame then. Even though murders were incredibly high. Now we have 10x more media concentrating on everything, after the fact.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 PM

Pico at Sepulveda has got to be one of the worst streets in west la. It looks like they jack hammered it on purpose, lol. What is going on there? Are they ever going to fix it?

Between the best buy (just west of the 405) and sepulveda, it looks like a road you'd see in the 3rd world. Its shocking the infrastructure could be that bad. In a neighborhood of such expensive homes.

I think what makes LA strange is how illogical the infrastructure issues are. You'd think the area was filled with $150,000 homes and a low income tax base to pay for the roads and highways.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
Quote:
Pico at Sepulveda has got to be one of the worst streets in west la. It looks like they jack hammered it on purpose, lol. What is going on there? Are they ever going to fix it?

Between the best buy (just west of the 405) and sepulveda, it looks like a road you'd see in the 3rd world. Its shocking the infrastructure could be that bad. In a neighborhood of such expensive homes.

I think what makes LA strange is how illogical the infrastructure issues are. You'd think the area was filled with $150,000 homes and a low income tax base to pay for the roads and highways.
same thing in los feliz. loads of potholes. again tho, better potholes than bulletholes.

and lets not forget that they caught the Grim Sleeper, which makes me utterly ecstatic. makes me proud of the LAPD- which, lets face it, can be a very rare feeling. hell, in venice, we got visited by the cops TWICE. once because we were using a bow and arrow in an alley and hitting a box near a dumpster with arrows (the cops got a laugh at that) and another time because my friend lost his wallet in hollywood and the cops BROUGHT IT BACK TO HIM. all that sensitivity training and focusing on the gangbangers has helped enormously. and whatever happened to all the racist skinheads? must have all decamped to O.C.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
Quote:

I agree. The potholes on Pico & Sepulveda are terrible. They recently put fresh blacktop just east of there on Pico and I thought they would continue west, but nope.

On topic, this is great news!!!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
and whatever happened to all the racist skinheads? Must have all decamped to o.c.
h.b.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles