Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:38 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,947,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
There are more than I can count and, on occassion, regretfully have to enforce.

Just today, I came within micro-inches of nailing a jaywalker with my patrol car. My heart is still pounding.
I'm talking about having to wait ages for that light to change when there's no cars coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,028,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
There are more than I can count and, on occassion, regretfully have to enforce.

Just today, I came within micro-inches of nailing a jaywalker with my patrol car. My heart is still pounding.
Can we say hyperbole boys and girls?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM

74 posts, read 131,087 times
When it rains you must turn on headlights! Dorkie law!
In Montana women can not fish alone. Defeats the whole purpose of fishing!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,851,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius4U View Post
When it rains you must turn on headlights! Dorkie law!
Not really - in a sudden deluge, or driving amidst a lot of water kicked up by many tires, a driver may not be able to gauge the proximity or speed of other cars on the road without their headlights on.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 PM

8,567 posts, read 10,992,176 times
This has to be one of the stupidest laws in the state.
As a landlord, I am not allowed to demand my rents be paid in cash.
I must accept checks/money orders.
I am currently trying to get this illegal code removed from the state civil code.
I contacted my state assemblyman two weeks ago, asking that he put forth a motion to rescind this law,and as of today, in a conversation with his secretary, I was told my request is in the state capital, and it is moving forward.
She will notify me when it comes up for consideration in the legislature.
This code has a few flaws, one of which is, landlords are being singled out as opposed to other business in the state.
What do you think the outcome would be if the state told Home Depot, Walmart, or any other big chain, they can no longer ask for cash as payment for their goods?
Telling me I cant accept cash for payment of rent is illegal.
In these united states, the constitution states money in the form of bills,coins of gold,and silver, are legal tender in the payment of all debts.
Checks , credit cards, money orders and similar are not legal tender as the rule applies, however a business can accept them as payment.
I know why this code was passed in the state, that being mainly , tax evasion.
Regardless of how, or why it was passed, does not make it legal.
I am prepared to take this to the state supreme court if necessary, and further if needed to have this removed from the state statue
Bob.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,946,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I'm talking about having to wait ages for that light to change when there's no cars coming.
That incident happened at a traffic controlled intersection. She couldn't wait one minute for the light to change and almost landed in the morgue because of it. I didn't cite her, as that would have added insult to injury, but she got a royal chewing out, that's for sure.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Can we say hyperbole boys and girls?
Care to clarify that?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,028,641 times
Well - a microinch is one millionth of an inch - if you almost hit her by that much then you DID hit her. I thought you guys were educated - and I still think so. I just figured you could have figured out what hyperbole meant by yourself.

By the way - you never answered me when I asked you your opinion about concealed weapons permits or open carry in the Skid Row thread. I'm just curious. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM

I wasn't sure which statement you were referring to. That's the clarification I was looking for. As to the pedestrian, how I DIDN'T hit her is a mystery. She was close enough to my patrol car to actually be the driver.

I'm all in favor of concealed carry permits. Although I do support unloaded open carry, I don't recommend it. As far as I'm concerned, an unloaded gun is nothing more than a hammer. It's a lot better for everyone if no one knows who's carrying concealed.

With the State dumping prisoners out in record numbers, I feel for the populace, who are not allowed to CCW due to where they live.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,851,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I am prepared to take this to the state supreme court if necessary, and further if needed to have this removed from the state statue
Bob.
How much cash are you willing to part with on your quest to alter the "state statue", Mr. Quixote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles