Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM

215 posts, read 1,533,800 times

Advertisements

Who here can honestly say that they have never seen a gang or had an encounter with a gang in LA?
If you had a encounter with a gang tell your story.

I am in San Diego, and I have really never seen a single gang here. Even walking the streets of the gaslamp districts at night, it has been pretty safe but I am just curious if LA is the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
I live in Northridge. I spend 99.9% of my time in the Valley. I've never knowingly seen a gang member. I don't generally hang out on the streets after 10 p.m., not because I'm afraid but because I'm not interested in anything at that hour that I can't do earlier. Maybe they come out at 3 a.m.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
I am in San Diego, and I have really never seen a single gang here. Even walking the streets of the gaslamp districts at night, it has been pretty safe but I am just curious if LA is the same way.
How do you know for certain whether someone is or is not in a gang? You've never seen a dude with a denim or leather jacket on a Harley? Maybe they're in a biker gang.

Are you assuming that someone with a certain look is a banger?

Even if someone has gang tats, they might be out of the life.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,590 times
los angeles has gangs?

oh, heavens!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
I have seen gangs in nasty, dirty san bernardino.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:11 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
I used to live in LA (on the west side) and I can honestly say I've never had any encounters with gangs.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,842 times
I'm sure I've seen or even met gang members before, but I have only lived in parts of LA (actually, LA county technically, I only lived in the city of LA 5 years) where no gangs exist

Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,417 times
While on vacation in LA, I went to East LA and stopped at the Alamada (spelling ?) Swap meet. Awesome food over there etc. Anyway, I think I was naive for stopping there cause there were a few Mexican hard-looking guys glaring at me. Apparently that is the 38 street gang territory or something? They left me alone, but I bet they were gang members. At the time, it didn't occur to me that people like that don't really need a reason to shoot you. I am female tho, so maybe that helped. Probably also helped that I have black hair and a dark complexion. Blended in with everyone else.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
nothing serious, but i've encountered gangs a few times in LA. The first time was a huge barbeque at a park in playa del rey. anyone who is familiar with that part of town knows its a sleepy beach hamlet. anyways, they have a park down by the beach and it was filled with dozens of people of which 90% were wearing red. that and the smell of marijuana tipped me off that this was a gang gathering of some sort, not to mention there was a LAPD officer on motorbike keeping a close eye on things. Another time I was at happy hour in venice and a couple of drunk dudes with quite large V13 tattoos on their arms and neck struck up a conversation with us. they were cool though and seemed to be elder statesmen in the gang. on numerous occasions, i've also seen get togethers at dockweiler state beach that resemble gangs. i can't be 100% certain, but i do know people have been shot and stabbed at that beach, so at least some of these groups have probably been gangs.

however, i've never been confronted by a gang member looking for trouble. i've also never seen any type of crime being committed by a gang (minus tagging here and there). it's pretty easy to avoid gangs, don't go looking for them and they won't go looking for you. most gang crime occurs in certain neighborhoods and violence tends to be between rival gangs. i don't live in a high crime neighborhood and am not in a gang, so i have had no problems.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,970,285 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFrVP2SXYcE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles