Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,399 times

Advertisements

It's all a matter of perspective. Some places in Palmdale and Lancaster are nice enough. I work here (Hammer Electric - electrical contractor) - Which makes me kind of partial to the place. But then I have business...

I am thinking if you are driving that far - and I do drive a lot - but that you might get tired of it quickly because you'll be spending all of your time driving and not enjoying life as you should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiondollardream View Post
Im so curious to move to the Anaverde area.But from what I hear despite the pretty prices and homes.The area surrounding palmdale is very ghetto and the schools are terrible.I work in Sun Valley and I am renting in West L.A(which is a nice area)I wanna move out there but I have heard nothing positive about Palmdale/Lancaster.It kinda sucks when u are ignorant about a area that appears lovely but has flaws.I live in a nice area but I am renting.I cant rent forever and wish to purchase property and start a family soon.Are there any private schools out there?And is anaverde all hype? I hear that anything west of the 14 fwy is a nice place to live.Please feel free to comment.
We moved from Glendale to Palmdale five years ago and whenever my kids visit friends and relatives who still live in south Glendale, they call it going back to their "ghetto roots" . I'm happy with the schools that my kids attended/are attending (Elementary/MS - public, HS-private, all on the west side of the 14 Freeway) and I don't mind commuting to Glendale to work everyday either.

Compared to the average SoCal weather, the AV could get really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter and really windy in between. Traffic is very light anytime of the day and moves quickly (most roads have 55 mph limits). Section 8 housing is prevalent in the downtown areas of Palmdale and Lancaster but most who use it are grateful they have roofs over their heads and generally keep to themselves. The Sheriff's Department is very aggressive (and successful) with their anti-gang and anti-graffiti programs.

Get a nice home stereo system because there's nothing much going on out here as far as entertainment is concerned, except for the occasional plays and shows in the Lancaster Performing Arts Center and the Chimbole Cultural Center. Enjoy your large house but if you like the outdoors, there are tons to do out here, too.

The food scene is so so, mostly chains although there are great local breakfast places.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Semi valley?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,685 times
Yes, you do hear alot of the negative aspects on these forums - I agree. You have lived there for a very long time. How do you feel about the crime statistics and the real quality of life there? What areas would you consider best to move to in Palmdale? We are in our early 50's, so want a quieter lifestyle. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maphod View Post
We moved from Glendale to Palmdale five years ago and whenever my kids visit friends and relatives who still live in south Glendale, they call it going back to their "ghetto roots" . I'm happy with the schools that my kids attended/are attending (Elementary/MS - public, HS-private, all on the west side of the 14 Freeway) and I don't mind commuting to Glendale to work everyday either.

Compared to the average SoCal weather, the AV could get really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter and really windy in between. Traffic is very light anytime of the day and moves quickly (most roads have 55 mph limits). Section 8 housing is prevalent in the downtown areas of Palmdale and Lancaster but most who use it are grateful they have roofs over their heads and generally keep to themselves. The Sheriff's Department is very aggressive (and successful) with their anti-gang and anti-graffiti programs.

Get a nice home stereo system because there's nothing much going on out here as far as entertainment is concerned, except for the occasional plays and shows in the Lancaster Performing Arts Center and the Chimbole Cultural Center. Enjoy your large house but if you like the outdoors, there are tons to do out here, too.

The food scene is so so, mostly chains although there are great local breakfast places.
Maphod - how long is your commute to Glendale?

Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 PM

63 posts, read 209,576 times
I live in Acton and commute to Tarzana. The 14 freeway is fine, but the 5 and 405 can be very bad. The only time I've had a problem on the 14 was when it snowed right around the beginning of the year! I leave work between 4 and 7pm on weekdays, and the commute (101 to 405 to 5 to 14) tends to be better the later I leave. I don't have to be at work until 10am, and at that time the 14 and 5 are totally clear.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles